Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia - "...financial things...that maybe I'm not fully aware of..."

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hmmm. In the "meet Sami Hyppia" video on player, when asked about transfers, Sami says "...the financial things are there as well that maybe I'm not fully aware of, at which level we can sign players. That's one difficulty that I have at the moment..."

So, just how aware of the restrictions caused by FFP do we think he is? He's clearly aware that there are restrictions ("...I know we can't get Cristiano Ronaldo..."), and he's happy that DB's team is putting together a list of options for him. It will be very disappointing if he thinks that he can spend a lot more than he actually can.

Of course, I may be reading too much into what he's said, but.... he did say it.... :shrug:

http://www.player.seagulls.co.uk/la...53700/page/0/name/exclusive--meet-sami-hyypia

6:20-6:40

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would imagine he knows the budget we have, but perhaps isn't so sure of the quality of player he can get for that money in England. I think that is what he was getting at.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This did worry me a bit. You would have thought the budget would have been discussed during the process

Yes, indeed. I'd be pretty sure that the budget would have been discussed, and he kind of implies that it was by his use of the words "...maybe...not fully...." (my emphasis), but he's, imo, clearly indicating that there are gaps in his knowledge, which is a bit worrying.

If those gaps are tiny, it's to be understood. If however, there are material gaps (which perhaps there might be, otherwise why would he bring the point up at all?), it's not great.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's Ok.

Once Burke presents him with a shorlist of Kevin Davies, Jay Bothroyd and Jason Scotland, Sami will have a fine selection of targets to choose from.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I would imagine he knows the budget we have, but perhaps isn't so sure of the quality of player he can get for that money in England. I think that is what he was getting at.

Hmmm - yes, maybe that's right. I guess you could interpret it that way...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, indeed. I'd be pretty sure that the budget would have been discussed, and he kind of implies that it was by his use of the words "...maybe...not fully...." (my emphasis), but he's, imo, clearly indicating that there are gaps in his knowledge, which is a bit worrying.

If those gaps are tiny, it's to be understood. If however, there are material gaps (which perhaps there might be, otherwise why would he bring the point up at all?), it's not great.

But he does not hold the budget - how much does the manager actually need to know about the budgets? He can put forward names and suggestions and it is up to DB's team to do the legwork and find out whether they are available and affordable.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hmmm ..... I'm going to get shot for posting this but here goes .... a mate of mine plays golf with a certain local journo who has mentioned that Oscar left because of a bust up with PB and TB over budgets. Allegedly not all the financial restrictions the board have set were made clear to Oscar when he joined. Obviously I have no idea how true this is but that statement does raise the eyebrows a bit.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oscar was claimed he was inexperienced with transfers, now Sami claims to not fully understand it.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Got a feeling we'll get nowhere on this shoestring budget. Also have a feeling Sami's not being told everything. He'll walk just like the other two. Said It once and I'll say it again. You're not going to get Into the prem on L2/L1 players/Wages. You want monkeys you pay peanuts. I know FFP is there for a reason but It's more a hindrance, more than anything else. Not helping anyone sept the top teams.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But he does not hold the budget - how much does the manager actually need to know about the budgets? He can put forward names and suggestions and it is up to DB's team to do the legwork and find out whether they are available and affordable.

I think the relevance, if indeed his understanding of what the budget is is incorrect or even if he doesn't really know what quality of player you can get for £x, is that if there is a mismatch between his understanding and reality, it will inevitably lead to unhappiness. Whether or not he holds the budget is, imo, irrelevant. If we want a fully committed manager for longer than one season (and I would suggest we do) then total transparency over the budget (both transfer fees and wages) and over what the cost of suitable players actually is in England is a prerequisite.

Do note that I'm not suggesting that such transparency is definitely not there, I'm just flagging a concern that our new manager can say that there are financial things relating to transfers that he is maybe not fully aware of. S'all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

That was my interpretation. Budgets would definitely have been discussed during the interview process.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I think the relevance, if indeed his understanding of what the budget is is incorrect or even if he doesn't really know what quality of player you can get for £x, is that if there is a mismatch between his understanding and reality, it will inevitably lead to unhappiness. Whether or not he holds the budget is, imo, irrelevant. If we want a fully committed manager for longer than one season (and I would suggest we do) then total transparency over the budget (both transfer fees and wages) and over what the cost of suitable players actually is in England is a prerequisite.

Do note that I'm not suggesting that such transparency is definitely not there, I'm just flagging a concern that our new manager can say that there are financial things relating to transfers that he is maybe not fully aware of. S'all.

I see what you are saying, but he has also said that he is happy that he will have an input into the transfer process, as at Bayer Leverkusen he had no say at all.

Is it not the case that if he held the budget,there would still be an element of "unhappiness" when he finds out that there are a lot of players that he would like that we cannot afford? That is the reality of where we are and if managers are not hanging around long because of that, then what is the club supposed to do about it? TB is not going to increase the budget, so any manager we have has to live with that. It is called a challenge.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I see what you are saying, but he has also said that he is happy that he will have an input into the transfer process, as at Bayer Leverkusen he had no say at all.

Is it not the case that if he held the budget,there would still be an element of "unhappiness" when he finds out that there are a lot of players that he would like that we cannot afford? That is the reality of where we are and if managers are not hanging around long because of that, then what is the club supposed to do about it? TB is not going to increase the budget, so any manager we have has to live with that. It is called a challenge.

Oh, I think we're in violent agreement on most things you've said.

The sole point I'm making is that it's much easier if the manager (and all others) are in total lockstep about what the budget is up front.

Scenario one, where the manager is confused about what the budget is (or, possibly, where he maybe isn't fully aware of what it is):

TB: No, Sami, we can't afford him.
SH: Huh, why not?
TB: Well, we just can't. We don't have the budget.
SH: WTF? I thought we did. :rant:

Scenario two, where the manager fully understands the budget:

TB: No, Sami, we can't afford him. What's more, you know we can't!
SH (sheepishly): Well, I thought I'd try.
TB: I understand, Sami. Why don't you and DB go and find us a player we can afford?
SH: Can't blame me for trying it on. OK, I'll see what I can do.

Ummm, obviously I'm paraphrasing.

I'd suggest scenario two is much healthier, productive, efficient and likely to result in a long-term stay for the the manager than scenario one.

That's really the only point I'm seeking to make.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The sole point I'm making is that it's much easier if the manager (and all others) are in total lockstep about what the budget is up front.

Scenario one, where the manager is confused about what the budget is (or, possibly, where he maybe isn't fully aware of what it is):

TB: I understand, Sami. Why don't you and DB go and find us a player we can afford?

I'd suggest scenario two is much healthier, productive, efficient and likely to result in a long-term stay for the the manager than scenario one.

Another benefit of a manager/coach fully understanding the budget is that they should be able to 'manipulate' this so that priorities can be addressed.

So in the scenario you posted where the response is, "we can't afford him", the manager/coach could come back with a scenario where we could - for example release player A, don't buy a particular player as planned etc.

Very difficult to do without detailed knowledge of the budget structure.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

Yup, option 2 is far healthier. But getting to option 2 will probably involve an element of option 1 to start with. At the time of that interview, he had not yet sat down with David Burke so he was not aware of the level of player that we are looking at. I am sure that he now is. It that transpires to be a problem then so be it, but he cannot possibly be unhappy yet (if he is we are in deep doo doo).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here