Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are VIP lounges worth the extra money or not ?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Never paid for the privilege and so just wondering. Nearly forgot i'm talking about airports here and Gatwick in particular

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Used the No.1 lounge at Gatwick for last two years and would recommend it if you're not on a tight budget. Much more relaxing way to start the holiday. If you're not bothered with traipsing around duty free for stuff you can get cheaper on Amazon then go for it. However, we also used the one on the way back in Dalaman and it was a rip off.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I wouldn't pay extra if you are not doing any stop overs. You can normally find something to do for the 1-2 hours prior to boarding but for those 3+ hour stop overs it's really nice to be able to sit somewhere peaceful and have some food and drink.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Used the No.1 lounge at Gatwick for last two years and would recommend it if you're not on a tight budget. Much more relaxing way to start the holiday. If you're not bothered with traipsing around duty free for stuff you can get cheaper on Amazon then go for it. However, we also used the one on the way back in Dalaman and it was a rip off.

I'm off to Dalaman next week. Interesting you say Dalaman was a rip off when the whole airport is a complete con. Think it's one of the most expensive in Europe. I thought about going VIP on the way back also.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oh lots of agencies out there selling VIP. Any safe cheap sites you can recommend?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
IMO, No 1 lounge at gatwick is much better than service air lounge.

I have an annual priority pass which works out quite good value, providing you travel over 5 times a year and drink their bar dry!

Not sure I would pay the one off fee of about 25 quid a visit though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Depends how much you value a little peace and civility. If you do not eat or drink much at the airport then not really great value. If you do treat the airport as part of the holiday and start as you mean to go on but you hate the crowds and screaming kids during peak periods then it can be a great way to start your break.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Oh lots of agencies out there selling VIP. Any safe cheap sites you can recommend?

www.loungepass.com have used them in the past & depending upon country good value. Thought it a waste at Heathrow but with a 5 hour connection wait at Hong Kong Airport it was fabulous. Showers & nice towels, super fresh cooked food [Chinese or European] & a really comfortable lounge area. So nice in fact I could happily of stayed there instead of continuing my journey!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
They vary so much. It's good to have a quiet area you can go to with free wi-fi, peace and quiet and a bit to eat and drink. Usually have a good selection of free alcohol, but the food you get varies from nuts, crisps and biscuits, to a full spread of cooked and cold foods.

Good if you have a few hours you need to kill between flights or need to get work done.

Have a look at the excellent Flyer Talk forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php which has a huge amount of info about just about every lounge.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
'Worth' is difficult to quantify, you'd be going some to eat & drink enough to get your money back (unless for some odd reason you find yourself there for much more than an hour), but they are relative havens especially in the chaos of somewhere like Gatwick. While, as already mentioned, the new No.1 lounges are a bit of a step up from the Servisair style, don't expect it to be like the BA or Virgin lounges, you are only paying £25 for the privilege, not hundreds or thousands extra for your flight. It would be expensive of course if you have a family, your kids are probably going to enjoy the open areas more. So please don't take them in to the lounge, please.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
if you have a family, your kids are probably going to enjoy the open areas more. So please don't take them in to the lounge, please.

Agreed, there's not too much for them do to (though the BA lounge at Gatwick has a room with Playstations etc). I have taken my son aged 8-9, OK if they are old enough to entertain themselves and can keep quiet, or if they find something they like eg free hot chocolate

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I had BA free lounge Gatwick - Switzerland, felt uncomfortable so went and sat with the other plebs in the normal place!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've been in the BA lounge at Newark NJ and that was great - as much food/booze as you wanted (and that didn't seem to be being abused) and it was nice and calm without any screaming kids around.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I got given one as a treat last year at Gatwick, before I got an Easyjet red-eye flight. No. 1 Loounge I think it was. Lounge opened at 4am and there was a queue about 20 meters long to sign in, include large groups of foreign students just ambling into the queue with no prior bookings. Nightmare. By the time I finally made it in, stress levels were going through the roof and once inside it didn't really feel right anyway. Wouldn't use the Gatwick one again. Would be far happier in Wetherspoons. Dubai Emirates louge was good though, much more civilised and about the same price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here