Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tournament football

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was anyone else at Horam or little common tournaments this weekend? I was there with the u12's I help coasch.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No what was it like? I was at Ringmer today with my 12s.
was good but unfortunately the ref made a huge error on full time awarding a penalty that was quite weird to say the least. my team were not in the final but I felt sorry for the team that lost.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Am I glad those days are behind me!

A whole day for about an hours worth of football made up of essentially 10 minute matches. Even worse if it's a steaming hot day. I've done more than my fair share of them and can't say I miss them at all. Fair play to anyone still putting in the time and effort.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Am I glad those days are behind me!

A whole day for about an hours worth of football made up of essentially 10 minute matches. Even worse if it's a steaming hot day. I've done more than my fair share of them and can't say I miss them at all. Fair play to anyone still putting in the time and effort.

My sons team had to meet at the Ringmer tournament at 1.30 his first match was then at 2.45, he played 5 matches in his group the last game being at 5.45.
Between the forth and fifth match there was an hours wait and if his team had reached the final it was at 6.45.

It's a long afternoon for 9/10 year old kids and they do get bored between matches.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Perhaps you could take the time to explain!

Here goes.

Last few minutes of game the ball was in the area of the team A, defending a 1-0 lead, two players from each team involved. A typical scramble ensued by the touchline inside the goalmouth. Team A defender cleared the ball in a "John Smith's way". The ball ending up two pitches away. The ref turned away and was waiting for the return of the ball for a throw in. At this juncture I noticed a player from team B was on the ground just out of play on the touchline. I shouted a the ref to draw attention to the injured player. At this point the ref had not even noticed the player. He ran over to him, and please remember this is an U12 game. He looked at the player as the lad's mum attended to him walked back on to the pitch and signalled for a penalty. I happened to be standing next to team A's manager who turned to me and asked if I had seen anything, which I hadn't to constitute a foul apart from seeing the player on the ground as the ball flew over my head. The manager questioned the ref to why the penalty was awarded to which he answered the lad had a cut his leg WTF that had to do with it God only knows.

The lad's mother argued with the manager that her little Jonny had a bad injury and therefore must have been fouled, doh! Now between the ball being cleared and the penalty being awarded the only person to talk to the ref was the lad's mum.

He simply got injured in the scramble no foul at all was committed.

I felt for team A as they ended up losing in a penalty shoot out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here goes.

Last few minutes of game the ball was in the area of the team A, defending a 1-0 lead, two players from each team involved. A typical scramble ensued by the touchline inside the goalmouth. Team A defender cleared the ball in a "John Smith's way". The ball ending up two pitches away. The ref turned away and was waiting for the return of the ball for a throw in. At this juncture I noticed a player from team B was on the ground just out of play on the touchline. I shouted a the ref to draw attention to the injured player. At this point the ref had not even noticed the player. He ran over to him, and please remember this is an U12 game. He looked at the player as the lad's mum attended to him walked back on to the pitch and signalled for a penalty. I happened to be standing next to team A's manager who turned to me and asked if I had seen anything, which I hadn't to constitute a foul apart from seeing the player on the ground as the ball flew over my head. The manager questioned the ref to why the penalty was awarded to which he answered the lad had a cut his leg WTF that had to do with it God only knows.

The lad's mother argued with the manager that her little Jonny had a bad injury and therefore must have been fouled, doh! Now between the ball being cleared and the penalty being awarded the only person to talk to the ref was the lad's mum.

He simply got injured in the scramble no foul at all was committed.

I felt for team A as they ended up losing in a penalty shoot out.

Haha, I, and I'm sure everyone else has plenty of similar stories from kids football. My favourite is this, and I'll keep it short...

Basically, a goal awarded in an U12's, maybe 13's match ( I can't remember which but you get the age group picture). Clearly offside, for which the linesman flags. Ref goes over to the linesman to say that he realises it might well have been offside... and I quote... "but to be fair to the lad, it was a good goal so I'm going to let it stand".

True story :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here