Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baines instead of Cole

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Thought this was a strange decision when the squad was named. Surely Ashley Cole's international experience should count for something? Thought Baines was pretty poor tonight.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Or getting absolutely no cover from Rooney?

Having said that, I would have taken Ash instead of Shaw

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Baines has been consistently better than Cole for the past two seasons.

Add his brilliance from free kicks, which should be worth at least one goal during the tournament.

Granted he wasn't at his best tonight but the Italy rb had a storming game.

Definitely correct to pick Baines imo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Overall he has proved better than Cole recently but last night he was not at his best and was unable to do what he was in the team for that is to defend. Even 1 on 1 he was beaten most times. The culprit last night was the manager not realizing that we had nobody filling in at left midfiled and should have made a change early on. We were loaded too much to attack on the right. I would have taken Henderson off and pushed Lallana on at left midfield.

Italy knew that they had time and space on their right side and exploited it very well.

Think Cahill could and should have done better with the 2nd goal as it went over his head and he hardly put in a challenge on Balliotelli.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Overall he has proved better than Cole recently but last night he was not at his best and was unable to do what he was in the team for that is to defend. Even 1 on 1 he was beaten most times. The culprit last night was the manager not realizing that we had nobody filling in at left midfiled and should have made a change early on. We were loaded too much to attack on the right. I would have taken Henderson off and pushed Lallana on at left midfield.

Italy knew that they had time and space on their right side and exploited it very well.

Think Cahill could and should have done better with the 2nd goal as it went over his head and he hardly put in a challenge on Balliotelli.

Absolutely no way has he proved himself better than Cole (especially recently). Cole was outstanding in the CL semi.

Baines is inept at defending and arguably is weaker than Luke Shaw.

Don't disagree about the lack of protection, but would have started Lallana instead of Welbeck.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that he has due to number of games played although Cole when brought in never let Chelsea down.

It's interesting how football has evolved over the years, with more apparent emphasis on a defenders attacking ability (i.e. able to provide attacking support), rather than basic defending. You only have to look at us, both Bruno and Calderon are more than able going forward, but both are not the best defensively.

Bit like goalkeepers and their passing ability, as opposed say to coming for crosses, which at times, these days appears to be secondary.

In terms of our full-backs, neither can defend particularly ably and that was showed on the second goal. However offensively both provided an extra option.

Guess I'm a bit old fashioned and would just like defenders to defend. :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here