Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No complaints

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
When your team gets beaten there are many reactions and emotions that can arise, anger, disappointment, etc..

But I have none. Youngsters did OK, Hodgson did more than OK, ref had a good game, and so on.

My team were beaten, but I enjoyed the match. Jeez I am getting old!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Lots of positives from us tonight. Only real let down was our finishing was very poor tonight and the defending for the second goal was school boy stuff. The first Italian goal was a real beauty though and that's what you come to expect from them. We have some real promising youngsters coming through including STERLING.

BUT....

At the back of my mind there's always that little doubt though about England and that is... Why can't we beat the best teams in the world when it really matters?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I enjoyed the match, the loss was harsh, we are a much better side than we were 2 years ago, when they had around 30 shots to our 8

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
At the back of my mind there's always that little doubt though about England and that is... Why can't we beat the best teams in the world when it really matters?

By definition 'the best teams in the world' get to be the best teams in the world because they're very, very hard to beat.
You have to be as good, or better, and lucky.

Such things don't happen often. Tonight wasn't a tonking like what Spain received.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Case of an exciting but raw attacking team being just a little outdone by a more well oiled, and clinical, but frustratingly boring side.

Would fancy us to do them in a couple of years but the World Cup is about the now and not development like a season is.

Sterling played very very well, however compare him to Robben for instance and its clear we are still way off.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Enjoyed the game, we had some pretty decent penalty shouts which weren't given but on the whole we deserved at least a draw. If we play like we did tonight against Uruguay and Costa Rica there is no reason why we can't win those games.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Case of an exciting but raw attacking team being just a little outdone by a more well oiled, and clinical, but frustratingly boring side.

Even in my disappointment tonight I was able to appreciate the irony of sitting with two Chelsea fans bitching about the Italian's tactic of sitting deep :lol:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Good performance. I thought that Italy found our weakness down our left hand side, and the amount of chances that we had the top sides would have scored them.
We need to be clinical in front of goal. Sadly as we well know, Rooney has not scored in the major competitions and he has not scored against the top countries, just the average teams.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
When your team gets beaten there are many reactions and emotions that can arise, anger, disappointment, etc..

But I have none. Youngsters did OK, Hodgson did more than OK, ref had a good game, and so on.

/QUOTE]

Very well put. I wasn't expecting much but I am encouraged. This is the weakest England team for twenty years. But there are encouraging signs - in two years we should have a decent team. I give a lot of credit to Hodgson. He hasn't had much to use, he isn't the most charismatic of leaders but I think he really does understand football

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Well played England. Fantastic, I mean proper fantastic finish from Sturridge. Best England team in a generation is coming.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
We played well, very well going forward. It was a great game of football and there is plenty to build on against a side that bullied us two years ago. Unfortunately, most of the other threads on here seem to be focussing on scapegoating various individuals. NSC at it's worst.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

My team were beaten, but I enjoyed the match. Jeez I am getting old!

Agreed bar Hodgson, bringing on 3 similar creative midfielders when there was no'one in the 6 yard box to finish all the crosses that fizzed over.
At what point does Lambert get on the pitch if not last night at 2-1 down with 20 mins left?

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
Lots of positives from us tonight. Only real let down was our finishing was very poor tonight and the defending for the second goal was school boy stuff. The first Italian goal was a real beauty though and that's what you come to expect from them. We have some real promising youngsters coming through including STERLING.

BUT....

Just This - yes it was much better than the normal England games but, these games are about getting results.....and we did not get one

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't deserve to lose.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For once it was nice to see England play fast attacking football. I'm actually buoyed by the performance last night. Good to see the younger players stepping up. We won't win the cup but if we perform like that in the next two games then roll on the Euros in two years time because we should have a very strong team by then.

And I apologise for the positivity - on here of all places :facepalm:

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
For once it was nice to see England play fast attacking football. I'm actually buoyed by the performance last night. Good to see the younger players stepping up. We won't win the cup but if we perform like that in the next two games then roll on the Euros in two years time because we should have a very strong team by then.

And I apologise for the positivity - on here of all places :facepalm:

The progress going forward in the last two years is terrific, it's just a shame the defence seems weaker

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Didn't deserve to lose.

Really? They had one headed off the line, one off the post and one off the crossbar. I'd say they deserved to win, and thus us to lose.

That said, I thought we played pretty well overall...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
England played well; Italy a little better. Italy could do really well in Brazil with the style they play, but England have a fair chance of going through thanks to Uruguay being so inept. Had Gus been doing some secret coaching ?

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Our future is looking very bright I would say. A young team but the Rooney Munchkin is past his best. However he's going to be very determined to do his best over the next few games as this is certainly his last tournament. He did supply our only goal and will always be a threat and other teams do fear him. I would ironically keep him in..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here