Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Anthem

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
After seeing a fairly lacklustre performance in singing the National Anthem from the England players and manager is it time to consider a new anthem? I am a patriotic England supporter however as an atheist and not a big fan of the monarchy I find it difficult to really get into our national anthem. Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory is surely something everyone can get behind?

I'm sure I will get slaughtered but any thoughts?

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
There is only one option, Good old Sussex by the Sea! Worth it just to see the Croydonites have to sing it. We have to accept that the world revolves around Sussex, the only county with its own anthem

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
GSTQ is a dirge. And although I'm sure Her Maj is a very pleasant old lady, she's well down my list of those I'd want the divine being to save if it came to it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There is only one option, Good old Sussex by the Sea! Worth it just to see the Croydonites have to sing it. We have to accept that the world revolves around Sussex, the only county with its own anthem
98% of our own fans don't know the words so there wouldn't be much hope

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Of course it is. 'I vow to thee my country' or 'Jerusalem' just two of the options.

I myself would add words to 'Banks of Green Willow', sheer musical beauty!

Ditch GSTQ?

Yes!

TNBA

TTF

Now you are talking!!! Banks of Green Willow is not heard enough. Sums up England exactly. Not sure it's national anthem material though, although a fantastic piece..

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Banks of Green Willow's composer George Butterworth MC, was killed by a sniper in the Somme, 5 August 1916.

Like the loss of Henry Moseley, but for music.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How many times has this been done!

The players never sing it properly and never have done. The fans in the ground have never had a problem with belting it out. It's just an excuse to come out with some anti royal family nonsense.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm sure if the players danced around a Maypole, morris dancing fashion, lustily belting out some long forgotten English folk song, about harvests, apple cheeked maidens, and highwaymen, we would have won more than one World Cup

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
This.

every time we looooose a bloody world cup game, someone rekons it's because of the bloody anthem.

If you notice I posted ad the game started not as a result of the game. I don't think a national anthem has anything to do with the performance of the team, it would just be nice to have an anthem that celebrated our country and it's achievements.

I'm sure if the players danced around a Maypole, morris dancing fashion, lustily belting out some long forgotten English folk song, about harvests, apple cheeked maidens, and highwaymen, we would have won more than one World Cup

This

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
After seeing a fairly lacklustre performance in singing the National Anthem from the England players and manager is it time to consider a new anthem? I am a patriotic England supporter however as an atheist and not a big fan of the monarchy I find it difficult to really get into our national anthem. Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory is surely something everyone can get behind?

I don't think that we need a new national anthem, just stop playing the awful dirge at the start of England games.

I vow to thee my country or Jerusalem are far more stirring and passionate choices.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An anthem that epitomises our standards and values. An appeal to our instilled English prowess. A call to, and a reminder of, our homeland- when engaged in foreign conquests.

'Our House' by Madness.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Yer lets change the national anthem because the overpaid, disinterested, somewhat dim and can't win when it counts footballers don't know the words or can't be bothered to sing the national anthem. next they will want to change the shirt colour, pick the team or set the questions for the post match interview. Lets ask the rugby and hockey teams, the sailors, the athletes, etc, etc. Not singing or hardly mouthing the words is not acceptable. Sing the song, wear the shirt and score the goals, looks like they failed alround!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here