Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The level & Open Market,

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There was an event to mark the 1st anniversary of the opening of the 'new' Level today. It seemed a pretty poor turn out and lack lustre event but what really annoyed me was the state of the grass.

They closed the park for well over a year and they dug up and re-laid all the greens, taking much longer then the Amex pitch took to lay.

A few weeks ago the Fair was back on it and now it's lumpy, bumpy and bare patches all over the place. Even the Brazilians would be embarrassed about it! So how much did all that cost?

Now cross the road to the new Open market. Seems to have taken an age and not yet finished but open. Has potential but very few tenants and need to get these shops occupied & open even if at cheap rates. Need to get some events and publicity because I doubt many know it even exists.

Now, back to football world....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There was an event to mark the 1st anniversary of the opening of the 'new' Level today. It seemed a pretty poor turn out and lack lustre event but what really annoyed me was the state of the grass.

They closed the park for well over a year and they dug up and re-laid all the greens, taking much longer then the Amex pitch took to lay.

A few weeks ago the Fair was back on it and now it's lumpy, bumpy and bare patches all over the place. Even the Brazilians would be embarrassed about it! So how much did all that cost?

Now cross the road to the new Open market. Seems to have taken an age and not yet finished but open. Has potential but very few tenants and need to get these shops occupied & open even if at cheap rates. Need to get some events and publicity because I doubt many know it even exists.

The open market isn't officially open yet. The stallholders who are there have been there all along, moving around various slots depending one where the builders need to get to. When the works are fully complete, it will open properly. I gather all, or almost all, of the stalls have been allocated. When it's fully open, none of the stalls will be allowed further than a metre out of their stalls because there will be events (temporary stands etc) down the middle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The open market isn't officially open yet. The stallholders who are there have been there all along, moving around various slots depending one where the builders need to get to. When the works are fully complete, it will open properly. I gather all, or almost all, of the stalls have been allocated. When it's fully open, none of the stalls will be allowed further than a metre out of their stalls because there will be events (temporary stands etc) down the middle.
I'm glad you said that. I was down there a few weeks ago (the London Road area is the furthest I go into town these days) and the Open Market was quite depressing, like a poorly-stocked Soviet-era farm market in an aircraft hanger. And no toilets! At my age I need toilets, hopefully they'll be added before it's finished.

The Level on the other hand was great - although I guess this was before the Fair that Freddie mentioned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When the new student accommodation opens in the Autumn the Open Market will get a massive boost, along with the area in general. Just need to pedestrianise London Road between St Peters and Preston Circus now and the place would be unrecognisable.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

As for the state of the grass, I mentioned to my wife last Saturday evening as we passed The Level, that all of the disposable bbq's that were being used by various groups were not going to do the grass any good!!! A very quick count, there were at least twelve bbq's on the go. The Open Market will be an asset to London Road once all of the units are occupied.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When the new student accommodation opens in the Autumn the Open Market will get a massive boost, along with the area in general. Just need to pedestrianise London Road between St Peters and Preston Circus now and the place would be unrecognisable.

No, the last thing we want is for London Road to be gentrified, it's fine as it is. I cringe every time someone mentions 're-vitalising' the area or something like that as it just means yuppification. The pubs are fine, the takeaways are fine, the shops are fine, the people are fine. Leave it be.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No, the last thing we want is for London Road to be gentrified, it's fine as it is. I cringe every time someone mentions 're-vitalising' the area or something like that as it just means yuppification. The pubs are fine, the takeaways are fine, the shops are fine, the people are fine. Leave it be.

Don't you think it would be nicer not being clogged up with exhaust-belching traffic all day?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think the kids playground and skatepark look fabulous, my gripe was about the time & money spent of relaying all the grassy areas.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I think the kids playground and skatepark look fabulous, my gripe was about the time & money spent of relaying all the grassy areas.

I complained to the council a few years ago about the state Victoria gardens are left in after the Ladyboys move on.

They told me that every event must give them a substantial deposit that is only returned when any damages are repaired.

Despite that, the gardens are like the bloody Somme if we have any rain after, and the council throw a few hands full of seeds around and that seems to be all they do. So the locals are paddling in mud and the main route to the seafront for visitors looks dreadful.

Why can't they repair it properly?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

How would you propose to get traffic from the Lewes area across Preston circus? If this was to happen.

Another problem for the Level that existed before it's redevelopment is the amount of rubbish left by users of the park every day. There are some pretty lazy and selfish people who use the park.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They'll send them up behind the old sainsers through that new heavily built up area by the station! !

That would be a good idea wouldn't it :lol: although unworkable it stills falls within the area that's been suggested to be pedestrianised.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
The open market has finally completed at the end of this week and new stall holders will start moving in next week. Nearly all the permanent stalls are already allocated and there will be over thirty temporary stalls that are due to open. Together with the twelve studios that have been leased above the market it should start to be more busy. Official opening likely to be mid July. Good variety of food and drink stalls to be opened so should attract wide variety of shoppers

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I like the level. I used to enjoy playing "top tramps" down there. Seeing which derelicts "special power" will win out.

...I'm going for beard length...what's yours got?

12 inches matted with sick and heavily nicotine stained

Damn, you've beaten me on special features. Mine is only 10 inches and platted with dreadlocks

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Don't you think it would be nicer not being clogged up with exhaust-belching traffic all day?

Where would all the traffic to get the day-trippers out go? Nice idea but not practical sadly.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
The new open market looks OK, for now- good its under proper cover.

I just hope there's good aircon / regular cleaning, or it will stink inside, if any old veg is left lying around, in hot weather!

PS_ any idea what's happening to the old wholesalers market, opposite all nite diner?

old and new.. OldOpenMarket.jpg

28_Market-View-2.jpg

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The new open market looks OK, for now- good its under proper cover.

I just hope there's good aircon / regular cleaning, or it will stink inside, if any old veg is left lying around, in hot weather!

PS_ any idea what's happening to the old wholesalers market, opposite all nite diner?

The market, university building, woodstore and car park are all being demolished for some new uni buildings and mostly student accommodation. It looks to be a massive over development of the site and will make parking in an area that is already difficult, damn near impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here