Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This was the Brazil team that's hyped to win the world cup? Don't think so somehow...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have every chance. It's not the first time that a favourite will have first night jitters. An average performance and a win against a strong side, without the loss of any players, is far from a disaster.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The crowd are behind them and that will sway even the unbribed officials in some decisions. Through luck, cheating and admittedly some talent they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
According to some Argentinian friends they've already paid FIFA for the cup so it's all a done deal anyway!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looked shaky to say the least, not a lot of fluency or tempo about their play. Neymar managed to turn his ankle a little in the warm up and took a couple of knocks before being subbed, at the end of the game he was limping a little, not a good sign. Julio Cesar looked awful as well.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Regardless of any talent they have after tonight there is a clear agenda to help them to the final and I desperately hope they fail.[/QUOTE

]Did the ref swap shirts with Neymar?

I've got a feeling that this was probably the first of several appalling refereeing 'performances' in Brazil matches. Embarrassing.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
1. there should be no penalty (that much I hope is obvious for everyone)
2. 3rd goal for Brazil was scored after a Croatian player was fauled in the midfield (which was completely ignored by the referee)
3. Olić was coming out on a clear position when he was fauled--should have been a red card (again, referee decided to see nothing)

I won't even mention all the little "mistakes" the referee made for the benefit of Brazil throughout the entire game. The sad thing is: if referees were able in 2002 to help South Korea reach the semi-final, then they are well able to help Brazil win the world cup.

All this is very sad.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I despise Brazil. As [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] says they are the 'Man Utd of international football'. They get dodgy decisions, they cheat, commentators describe how amazing they are when they do not do anything more spectacular than some of the other sides, they dive, they playact.......need I go on? they also seem to be the team that people support if their nation is not at the world cup? Why? Same as following Man Utd when you are from the Isle of Wight.

Do you know what annoyed me the most last night? Fred blatantly dives for a pen and then looks to the heavens to thank god (not using a capital G as I am an atheist). If god does exists does he really think that he used his power and divinity to help him dive and con a referee into giving a penalty?

Right, enough ranting for now. Let's just hope the Europeans give them a football masterclass just like they did in the last world cup.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I'm firmly in the ' Anyone but Brazil ' club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They seemed more than adequate to me. 3-1 against a reasonable and tidy side in your opening game is fairly laudable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Regardless of any talent they have after tonight there is a clear agenda to help them to the final and I desperately hope they fail.

Yup, a clear agenda. I wonder what Hybrid_x has to think about it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup, a clear agenda. I wonder what Hybrid_x has to think about it?

He might also comment on the fact that the referee was Japanese and the highest population of Japanese people outside of Japan live in.........................Sao Paulo.

Only a) he wouldn't really believe it because it's a main stream media fact and b) he can't as he's banned :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Regardless of any talent they have after tonight there is a clear agenda to help them to the final and I desperately hope they fail.

Yep, this is competition run by FIFA. Remember when South Korea made the semi in 2002...

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Brazil should have been two behind and down to 10 men before their first goal, plus the first two goals your Nan could have saved.

Having said that, and although Croatia is a truly beautiful country and they play attractive football, I can't get beyond the fact that their shirts are God awful and for that fact alone I don't want them to do well.

Roll on the next games.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
As it was the first game of the greatest show on earth, I'm glad it passed off mostly uneventfully. Straight away we get into a load of conjecture about this and that, but I plan to view it as theatre, beit tragedy or farce, and take what arrives :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As it was the first game of the greatest show on earth, I'm glad it passed off mostly uneventfully. Straight away we get into a load of conjecture about this and that, but I plan to view it as theatre, beit tragedy or farce, and take what arrives :)

True. A dodgy penalty in the UK is a crap ref. A dodgy penalty in a world cup takes on a whole new conspiracy fuelled meaning.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yep, this is competition run by FIFA. Remember when South Korea made the semi in 2002...
You're not insinuating that FIFA are corrupt are you...when our good friend Slap Batter is running it...the very thought of it. It must have been a penalty yesterday,millions of Brazilians and the ref thought so...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here