Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats happening to BBC Five Live?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Recently an early morning program had two women presenters on together who were discussing rugby,boxing and motor racing,this morning their presenter in Brazil spoke to two locals regarding the World Cup,he selected two women,if this becomes
a regular feature I shall be sticking to Talk Sport in future to ensure I can obtain a mans input to subjects which are dominated by men.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The BBC probably has more women sports presenters than men. That's the BBC for you these days...Stick with Talk Sport, much more of a male's point of view.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's BBC quotas for you; it's the same for comedy programmes. They ignore the fact that sport will be watched/listened to by an overwhelming majority of blokes, who would rather listen to commentators and pundits that they can relate to. Comedy quotas ignore the fact that most women can't remember the punchline of a joke, let alone tell it with the sort of timing that could make it funny.

TalkSport gets away with it because it's paid for by the advertisers of blokey stuff: Trade suppliers; van sales companies and Snoop Dog flogging 'car inshawnce'.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
If it was two men who would give a shit? If women know about sports then fine. Don't be a Daily M**l columnist type who call sports presenters 'blonde bimbos' simply coz they're women. Even if hey are it's better than Adrian Chiles.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Recently an early morning program had two women presenters on together who were discussing rugby,boxing and motor racing,this morning their presenter in Brazil spoke to two locals regarding the World Cup,he selected two women,if this becomes
a regular feature I shall be sticking to Talk Sport in future to ensure I can obtain a mans input to subjects which are dominated by men.

Welcome to the 21st century!!!!!!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I realise that many sports tend to be male dominated but question whether football is still one of them given the number of women who follow it?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
write in and say you want a male presenter and for only men to me interviewed on Women's Hour on Radio 4 and see how you get on! :D

In fact, just write in and say can we have "Men's Hour" and see how far you get :rotlf:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

The BBC probably has more women sports presenters than men. That's the BBC for you these days...Stick with Talk Sport, much more of a male's point of view.

So long as it is P/C its ok.

That's BBC quotas for you; it's the same for comedy programmes. They ignore the fact that sport will be watched/listened to by an overwhelming majority of blokes, who would rather listen to commentators and pundits that they can relate to. Comedy quotas ignore the fact that most women can't remember the punchline of a joke, let alone tell it with the sort of timing that could make it funny.

TalkSport gets away with it because it's paid for by the advertisers of blokey stuff: Trade suppliers; van sales companies and Snoop Dog flogging 'car inshawnce'.
:facepalm:
I'd rather listen to presenters who know what they're talking about. And anyone who finds it difficult to relate to a subject because of the gender of the person relaying it probably has bigger problems than their choice of radio station.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
write in and say you want a male presenter and for only men to me interviewed on Women's Hour on Radio 4 and see how you get on! :D

In fact, just write in and say can we have "Men's Hour" and see how far you get :rotlf:

Mens Hour is actually on at 9 on Sunday evenings on 5 live - it already exists!

longmanofwilmington

Apr 25, 2014
Today Phil Neville on Radio 5 said, in relation to the excitement of the Brazil players coming out onto the pitch, "its a gooseberry moment". In my opinion the standards of commentary on R5 have plummeted recently across the board, it doesn't matter if the presenter is male or female they're pretty much garbage now. Can someone please shoot Pat Nevin, I'm so sick of his pro Chelsea rants.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean

Needs Monkfish

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just listening to the drivel on Talkshite for a few minutes makes you appreciate how good the Beeb is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I realise that many sports tend to be male dominated but question whether football is still one of them given the number of women who follow it?

There's no doubt that women follow football, particularly the World Cup, but there's no getting away from the fact that it really is a male dominated sport. You just need to look around you at any game you go to; I'd estimate that men make up 90%+. I can't even think of the any women that sit close to our seats in the north end of west lower, and there are even fewer at away games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here