Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How into the world cup are you?

How into it are you?

• Flags everywhere, shirts for all the family, world cup party woop woop!

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Booked annual leave so I can watch every single game

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Collecting the stickers - got, got, need.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Nice little wall chart, i'll be keeping up to date with the scores.

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Got Iran in the work sweepstake and that reflects my excitement.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Football doesn't start until August.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not at all. Least excited ever (except the times we haven't qualified, and then it's still close). That would change if we were decent against Italy, but I'm enjoying not caring at the moment.

It's probably helped by the fact that I'm enjoying the journey our club is on so much.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
To illustrate:

option 1

house1_47_23.JPG

Option 2

England-Football-Club-fans.jpg

Option 3

Panini-stickers-011.jpg

Option 5

iran.jpg

Option 6

NEWS-john-terry-disc-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lack of initial hype is refreshing. Seems like the whole country has grown up a bit. Still totally riveting as a competition tho eh? Excitement will BUILD, as it should. With The Golden Generation all the excitement was upfront, then slowly deflated as the harsh reality kicked in. This time is different. And better. IMHO, like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lack of initial hype is refreshing. Seems like the whole country has grown up a bit. Still totally riveting as a competition tho eh? Excitement will BUILD, as it should. With The Golden Generation all the excitement was upfront, then slowly deflated as the harsh reality kicked in. This time is different. And better. IMHO, like.

Very much this. Also refreshing is the absence of pseudo-war rhetoric bullshit that used to resonate from ALL the red-tops back in the day.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
well I chose option 2 as I will not be school/work due to me finishing rather than taking time off. so guess that's the most relevant

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If you don't remember 78 then you'll not be aware of the tidal wave of magic about to arrive that will live with you for decades. This is THE big one

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I was 1, but after finding out why the anti FIFA protests are taking place, I don't feel I should be excited.

I'll still watch it as I will have finished exams and school...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The last WC where I watched every England match was probably Italia 90. This is the first time since that I'll make the effort to watch all of our games, but those involving other countries just don't interest me, not even the final if we're not involved.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Collecting the stickers but I am absolutely, 100%, utterly in a FEVER for the world cup! Okay so England might do crap but I'll be cheering them all the way, none of this constant moaning about the national team in-between tournaments! Even if we go out in the first round then there is a feast of football to be had and who knows which match will make history, Cameroon beating the Argies, The Battle of Nuremberg, South Korea making it to the semi finals, Zidane's headbutt...the list could go on. This time every four years is what being a football fan is all about and I for one cannot wait :O

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Collecting the stickers but I am absolutely, 100%, utterly in a FEVER for the world cup! Okay so England might do crap but I'll be cheering them all the way, none of this constant moaning about the national team in-between tournaments! Even if we go out in the first round then there is a feast of football to be had and who knows which match will make history, Cameroon beating the Argies, The Battle of Nuremberg, South Korea making it to the semi finals, Zidane's headbutt...the list could go on. This time every four years is what being a football fan is all about and I for one cannot wait :O

Same here. Many fans on this board moan when the domestic season has finished....3 months without football etc etc. Well our national team are there and even if we go out early it's still a great spectacle to watch.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Agreed.

Much like with the last European Championships when it seemed the pressure was off I just got on with enjoying the tournament. And this time round it's even more exciting as you know the Brazilians are going to go absolutely MENTALOATS for it and there are some seriously tasty match ups in prospect.

I think it's also the first time in a long time that we've got an England team representing us who aren't a complete bunch of cretins. I know Rooney's a colossal prick but you can't really exclude the guy from the squad because when he does perform he can do all sorts that nobody else in our squad can. And apart from him it's generally a more humble seeming bunch than we've seen in past tournaments. I mean don't get me wrong, I know they're all spoiled, pampered millionaires, but the likes of Lambert, Cahill, Barkley, Henderson and co are infinitely more likeable than John Terry, Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand.

What's more, for the first time in a long time England's real strength is in attack and not at the back. I mean we're not world beating attackers, it's just that we can't rely on a solid back line to keep things tight anymore, which *could* mean we go out all guns blazing and really take it to those we face. When I think back to the dreary rubbish we served up back in 2010, scoring just 3 goals in 4 games, I am really hoping to see a bit more action this time round, even if it does see us get no further than the second round again. Much like with the Albion, I just want to see us give it a good go and as long as I see 11 men on that pitch giving it everything then I'll not be disappointed.

Also I got Brazil in my work sweepstake.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Can't bloody wait, wasn't that bothered at the start. However, each day getting more and more into it all. Also helps that I work with many different nationalities all hyping it up each day.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Love the whole thing. It will be a bonus if England do well and even better if we attack with skill and pace and some/all of the following shine - Sterling, Barkley, Sturridge, Oxlade. But regardless, I will enjoy the WC.

Pleased to have a long break from the tribalism / spitefulness / introspection / media hype of the PL & CL.

This spell of good weather we are having makes it more fitting somehow - like 1986 and 1990.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Love the whole thing. It will be a bonus if England do well and even better if we attack with skill and pace and some/all of the following shine - Sterling, Barkley, Sturridge, Oxlade. But regardless, I will enjoy the WC.

Pleased to have a long break from the tribalism / spitefulness / introspection / media hype of the PL & CL.

This spell of good weather we are having makes it more fitting somehow - like 1986 and 1990.

We actually had GLORIOUS weather the last time round, in 2010. I got seriously sunburnt as I watched England get smashed by the Germans.

I also recall France 98 was generally pretty hot and sunny at the time.

2002 was more difficult to remember as all the matches were on at stupid o'clock. And I couldn't tell you anything much about 2006 because I was out of it for the whole tournament

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here