Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] HYYPIA: AMBITION CONVINCED ME

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Sami Hyypia says that Brighton & Hove Albion’s long-term ambitions convinced him to take the role of first-team manager.In his first press conference, at the club’s new training ground in Lancing, Hyypia said what matters is what he does in the future, and that his impressive playing and early managerial career counts for nothing.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “The ambition of the club attracted me. When I saw the training ground and the stadium I knew they were serious and is the reason why I am sitting here today.
“Hopefully I can take club forward in the next three years; what I've done before doesn't matter. The club has had a few good campaigns in the last few years but my job is to make it better. I will be a happy man if I can take the club forward.”

He says his first task as Albion manager will be to assemble a squad capable of success in the Championship and getting to know his coaching staff – he does plan to expand his backroom team, but squad strengthening is his main priority.

“My first priority to get a squad together to have a chance to be successful in the Championship. It was a very different set-up in Germany, so I need to get to know the people here.“I need to sit down and talk about the squad, we have to be quick to get all the players in before training starts. I've met Nathan Jones and I liked what he said. He's very professional, he will work hard for the cause and his knowledge about football is good.
“I will need a few other people in backroom staff, but I'm not in a hurry. There are a lot of good coaches at the club already. Everything [off the field] is perfect, now we have to make it perfect on the field.”
The Finn also insists that his experience managing Bundesliga side, Bayer Leverkusen will aid him greatly in the job.
“I'm very happy to have gone down this road, I have always been an observer of the game. As a player, I observed what managers and players were doing.
“My opportunity was unusual in the sense that ten months after I stopped playing, I was managing a Bundesliga club.
“That was a good education for me; in practice you learn more than when you are at school and I have learned a lot, hopefully I can bring those things to this club.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here