Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Epilepsy Action Plea, My daughter Ellen

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Hi,

My name is Russ Doherty and this is one of my beautiful daughters, her name is Ellen and she is a 7 years old.

About 3 years ago she started dropping things for no apparent reason, these events worsened over a matter of weeks with sudden erratic movements of her arms. This continued with absences and ‘jumps’ (as she called them) to heighten to approximately 10 occurrences a day. Our fears were confirmed as she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Medication started, but nothing was touching the now violent jumps, which of course were seizures. These seizures were now forcing a sudden forward movement of arms and upper body, the movement would always be in a forward motion. These seizures now result in numerous facial contacts with objects, dinner tables and sinks causing the most damage to her pretty face. Frequent visits to A&E are now an accepted part of her routine, not only for blood tests, MRI, CT scans but the injuries Epilepsy causes. The photo here was a recent visit to Hospital,the bruising to her face was a result of contact with the sink as she was cleaning her teeth. This was compounded a few days later when a seizure sent her down the entire flight of stairs at home.

Our Ellen is a superstar she doesn’t complain of the twice daily concoction of medication we administer, she doesn’t complain of the tests and bloods she regularly endures or the fact she misses days and days from school and cannot participate in School trips or cycling or climbing etc etc the things she should do as a 7 year old but can’t. Our Ellen gets on with her complicated little life as best as she can. Through all this she always smiles her cheeky smile, her sense of humour is amazing, she is kind and so considerate, my beautiful little princess will make the most of everything.

She currently has up to 20 seizures a day, her Epilepsy helmet helps prevent some physical injury but no medication is yet to help her significantly.

Ellen was diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 4. A rare form of Epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome is likely to be the cause of her seizures. Unfortunately Lennox-Gastaut is a lifelong condition with no known cure. Life expectancy is normally reduced with the amount of seizures and all sufferers will experience Learning difficulties throughout their life.

Ellen asked me to help her and other children. I am riding the Surrey Prudential 100 on August 10th one week after racing at the Wales Half Ironman Triathlon.
The Welsh Half Ironman consists of 1.2 mile Swim, 56 mile Bike and 13.1 mile Run. A week later it will be 100 mile cycle around London and Surrey. I am doing this for my daughter Ellen and trying to raise money for Epilepsy Action so other children worse off than Ellen can have, hopefully a better way of life.

If you could raise or donate a small amount to Epilepsy Action via Ellen’s Just Giving page we would be very appreciative.
http://www.justgiving.com/owner-email/pleasesponsor/Russ-Doherty1

Thank You

Attachments

• MeEllen.jpg
    MeEllen.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 834
  • Ellen Hospital.jpg
    Ellen Hospital.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 841
  • Meds.jpg
    Meds.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 836
  • Ellen.jpg
    Ellen.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 845

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hi,

My name is Russ Doherty and this is one of my beautiful daughters, her name is Ellen and she is a 7 years old.

About 3 years ago she started dropping things for no apparent reason, these events worsened over a matter of weeks with sudden erratic movements of her arms. This continued with absences and ‘jumps’ (as she called them) to heighten to approximately 10 occurrences a day. Our fears were confirmed as she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Medication started, but nothing was touching the now violent jumps, which of course were seizures. These seizures were now forcing a sudden forward movement of arms and upper body, the movement would always be in a forward motion. These seizures now result in numerous facial contacts with objects, dinner tables and sinks causing the most damage to her pretty face. Frequent visits to A&E are now an accepted part of her routine, not only for blood tests, MRI, CT scans but the injuries Epilepsy causes. The photo here was a recent visit to Hospital,the bruising to her face was a result of contact with the sink as she was cleaning her teeth. This was compounded a few days later when a seizure sent her down the entire flight of stairs at home.

Our Ellen is a superstar she doesn’t complain of the twice daily concoction of medication we administer, she doesn’t complain of the tests and bloods she regularly endures or the fact she misses days and days from school and cannot participate in School trips or cycling or climbing etc etc the things she should do as a 7 year old but can’t. Our Ellen gets on with her complicated little life as best as she can. Through all this she always smiles her cheeky smile, her sense of humour is amazing, she is kind and so considerate, my beautiful little princess will make the most of everything.

She currently has up to 20 seizures a day, her Epilepsy helmet helps prevent some physical injury but no medication is yet to help her significantly.

Ellen was diagnosed with Epilepsy at the age of 4. A rare form of Epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome is likely to be the cause of her seizures. Unfortunately Lennox-Gastaut is a lifelong condition with no known cure. Life expectancy is normally reduced with the amount of seizures and all sufferers will experience Learning difficulties throughout their life.

Ellen asked me to help her and other children. I am riding the Surrey Prudential 100 on August 10th one week after racing at the Wales Half Ironman Triathlon.
The Welsh Half Ironman consists of 1.2 mile Swim, 56 mile Bike and 13.1 mile Run. A week later it will be 100 mile cycle around London and Surrey. I am doing this for my daughter Ellen and trying to raise money for Epilepsy Action so other children worse off than Ellen can have, hopefully a better way of life.

If you could raise or donate a small amount to Epilepsy Action via Ellen’s Just Giving page we would be very appreciative.
http://www.justgiving.com/owner-email/pleasesponsor/Russ-Doherty1

Thank You

That's one brave girl you have there Russ! Its not often I get emotional about NSC!!

Very happy to support such a worthy cause, and really hope for her/you that there is a cure eventually.

And very best of luck with the Ironman and 100 miler, you crazy fool!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Good Luck Russ, and all the very best in your endeavour. I hope our donations go some way to helping find effective treatment for your wonderful Ellen, and anyone else suffering from this horrible condition.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
It has been an emotional day and touched by kind words and support, so thank you very much it is appreciated.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Good Luck Russ, and all the very best in your endeavour. I hope our donations go some way to helping find effective treatment for your wonderful Ellen, and anyone else suffering from this horrible condition.

Thank you very much for your donation and response. It is a horrible feeling knowing you can do very little to take the pain away from your daughter, and seeing her suffer on a daily basis. However, it is amazing at how generous and kind people are, so thank you.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Thanks to all my fellow BHA supporters. Really appreciate your kind words and support. Means a lot thank you

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Done and best of luck Russ and Ellen!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here