Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blatter - Dead Man Walking

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Reports coming in that Platini has turned on him and will no longer support the corrupt c***. Not that Platini is any better.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
In other words, Platini thought that Blatter was making way for him, and now he finds out that he is not retiring, has got a good old gaelic strop on. So hope that Blatter goes and Platini gets nought!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
In most other industries, yes, you'd think someone in Blatter's position would be a dead man walking, wouldn't you?

However, that arrogant buffoon and the power brokers at the higher echelons of FIFA are so bent, that he will no doubt attempt to brazen this out in the knowledge that he still has almost 100% support in the African & Asian confederations. He's turning into a Mugabe sort of figure, continuously standing for re-election despite his age, and winning every time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I find it interesting that Blatter doesn't appear to have taken soundings from Platini before declaring his intention to run for a 5th term as FIFA President. That is, unless he did and Platini has shafted him.

Who the hell would want the job anyway with an enquiry into corruption virtually guaranteed, key sponsorship Partners expressing disquiet and two logistical nightmare World Cups to sort out? And that's assuming there's no long-term fallout from this World Cup which, judging by the state of the facilities, is not certain.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I actually feel that this time, after this World Cup, that FIFA are coming to the end of their days as we know it. Ask anyone what FIFA stands for, you know the answer. Big business (yes ironic I know) knows the answer too.

Time at long last for change, coming soon.

I know I keep saying it, but when the Qatar vote is proven bent, then not long till the Russian vote gets more scrutiny. I really hope it happens.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I find it interesting that Blatter doesn't appear to have taken soundings from Platini before declaring his intention to run for a 5th term as FIFA President. That is, unless he did and Platini has shafted him.

Who the hell would want the job anyway with an enquiry into corruption virtually guaranteed, key sponsorship Partners expressing disquiet and two logistical nightmare World Cups to sort out? And that's assuming there's no long-term fallout from this World Cup which, judging by the state of the facilities, is not certain.

But he doesn't care, does he? Look how many high ranking officials have been caught out taking or offering bribes and such in the past, including some of his closest cronies, and yet every time, Blatter manages to dodge the bullet. Presumably by handing out more cash. He seems to be bomb-proof.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Platini would be worse than Blatter. Both of them are corrupt and neither are what world football needs right now. Those 2 allowed Russia and Qatar to buy their World Cup Finals, they knew exactly what was going on and neither of them put a stop to the back handers and bungs.

Between them they have destroyed my enthusiasm for this and future tournaments.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
FIFA are accountable to no one but themselves, and whilst Blatter is in charge corrupt delegates will regard themselves as relatively safe.

I fully expect a number of the rats to flee the sinking ship by "retiring gracefully", i.e. heading for the hills.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The problems with FIFA are endemic. No 'non-profit' organisation should be sat on a 'reserve' of over $1 billion. Any decent 'not for profit' organisation would be reinvesting that money to use football as a tool for good.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Platini would be worse than Blatter. Both of them are corrupt and neither are what world football needs right now. Those 2 allowed Russia and Qatar to buy their World Cup Finals, they knew exactly what was going on and neither of them put a stop to the back handers and bungs.

Between them they have destroyed my enthusiasm for this and future tournaments.

I'm not sure Platini is the magic solution to all FIFA's problems either. New broom needed. Trouble is, the entire organisation is tainted, where are they going to find some incorruptible candidates?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
In other words, Platini thought that Blatter was making way for him, and now he finds out that he is not retiring, has got a good old gaelic strop on. So hope that Blatter goes and Platini gets nought!

Is the correct answer I would very strongly suspect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure Platini is the magic solution to all FIFA's problems either. New broom needed. Trouble is, the entire organisation is tainted, where are they going to find some incorruptible candidates?

Harry Redknapp?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The difference is that this is EUFA and its members' pulling power is greater than the rest of FIFA combined - for advertisers anyway which is what FIFA care about. Aside from Brazil and Argentina, the countries that the world wants to see on the telly are all in Europe. If EUFA threaten to boycott a World Cup then the USA and Australia are likely to follow suit as well.

I've got no time at all for Platini but in this case my enemy's enemy is very much my friend.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In most other industries, yes, you'd think someone in Blatter's position would be a dead man walking, wouldn't you?

However, that arrogant buffoon and the power brokers at the higher echelons of FIFA are so bent, that he will no doubt attempt to brazen this out in the knowledge that he still has almost 100% support in the African & Asian confederations. He's turning into a Mugabe sort of figure, continuously standing for re-election despite his age, and winning every time.

FIFA are accountable to no one but themselves, and whilst Blatter is in charge corrupt delegates will regard themselves as relatively safe.

This.

Blatter may well get re-elected because

a. The delegates from Aisa / Africa won't want a new guy, elected on an anti-corruption ticket.
b. If those delegates stab him in the back, they run the risk of him taking them down with him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here