Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar-a solution?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If the 2022 World cup goes ahead, (and I really don't think it should) would it be feasible to play the games late at night, to minimise the effects of the extreme temperature?. It must be better to play games at night, rather than change the tournament to a winter, with all the upheaval that would cause

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Doing a quick google, it appears the temperatures are still around 30o even at 2am :ohmy:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think that is the only option. Games at 8, 10 and midnight local time. Only problem with that is that Qatar is only 2 hours time difference from Us and 1 hour from Europe - hardly good for the core TV audience.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anything is feasible if you pay Blatter enough cash.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Temperatures for 4th July in Qatar by time:
temperature_temperature_f.png

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It would help, a bit, but the humidity is still pretty bad even then.

There remains the issue that aircon stadiums are one thing, an un-airconditioned city is another. You couldn't walk far without suffering, whether that's 6pm, 3am or 9am.

Also TV firms are unlikely to be happy with games kicking off then – we're 2/3 hours ahead of UK/continental Europe at this time of year, so a 2am kick off here is 11pm for you. Not great, when it doesn't need to be like that.

Not to mention the players themselves having to live a strange life where they play in the middle of the night, yet are then expected to 'sleep' at midday in a busy noisy city?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Temperatures for 4th July in Qatar by time:
temperature_temperature_f.png

Looks like an early start then Notters, may be hard hard to get a Bud or a Big Mac though at that time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm SURE Sepp and his FIFA chums have thought it all through properly everyone. Let's all just relax and enjoy soccerball powerhouse Qatar put on a quite terrific show.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm SURE Sepp and his FIFA chums have thought it all through properly everyone. Let's all just relax and enjoy soccerball powerhouse Qatar put on a quite terrific show.

Exactly. This was decided by a fair and democratic process where the best country won. I'm sure they've got it all covered.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not to mention the players themselves having to live a strange life where they play in the middle of the night, yet are then expected to 'sleep' at midday in a busy noisy city?

thats not a problem, they'll just impose a curfew during the day for the duration. the Indian, Sri Lankan, Filipino workers can work at night (many of them as "crowd" to fill the otherwise empty stadiums)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here