Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long do you expect products to last?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I purchased a Flymo strimmer last March. Over last summer and from April this year, I use it most weekends when mowing the grass to go around the edges. At the end of each use it gets cleaned up, and put away and stored in a dry garage.

I came to use it last weekend and it wouldn’t work. Have tried changing fuse, tried different plugs but the item is dead as a do-do. I called up Flymo customer services who took the product number and serial number, only to advise me that the warranty is only for one year. I asked the lady on phone where it could be taken to be repaired. Her reply was that it’s not worth repairing and just to throw it and get another one. I questioned this as it is only 18 months old and she told me that they wont last forever.

Whilst I agree it wont last forever, I would expect it to last at least 5 years. It wasn’t the basic 'cheap as chips' model I purchased (IIRC I paid around £70 at the time).

How long would you expect products like this to last? Am I being unreasonable that it would last more than 18 months?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I purchased a Flymo strimmer last March. Over last summer and from April this year, I use it most weekends when mowing the grass to go around the edges. At the end of each use it gets cleaned up, and put away and stored in a dry garage.

I came to use it last weekend and it wouldn’t work. Have tried changing fuse, tried different plugs but the item is dead as a do-do. I called up Flymo customer services who took the product number and serial number, only to advise me that the warranty is only for one year. I asked the lady on phone where it could be taken to be repaired. Her reply was that it’s not worth repairing and just to throw it and get another one. I questioned this as it is only 18 months old and she told me that they wont last forever.

Whilst I agree it wont last forever, I would expect it to last at least 5 years. It wasn’t the basic 'cheap as chips' model I purchased (IIRC I paid around £70 at the time).

How long would you expect products like this to last? Am I being unreasonable that it would last more than 18 months?

It should have lasted a couple of years , although you paid £70 there is probably a 300% mark up between leaving the factory and being displayed for sale.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think their customer service people are suggesting that next time you buy a B&Q own brand (or similar) for £9.99 as it is as useful and will last as long...........

........sounds a good idea!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Think their customer service people are suggesting that next time you buy a B&Q own brand (or similar) for £9.99 as it is as useful and will last as long...........

........sounds a good idea!

Same applies to vacuum cleaners , why buy a Dyson for £300 when another make does the same job for a quarter of the price.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
She just told you not to bother with Flymo products.......... I used to cut grass for a living, my dilemma was, should I buy proper expensive kit, or cheaper kit at a third of the cost of the expensive kit. The thinking behind this is, you can buy three cheaper bits of kit for one expensive. On average I used two cheap models for each tool over the twenty years of looking after lawns.......... or grass as I never got to work on a lawn. So on average I was better of with the own brands.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I would state that the item was not fit for purpose and start kicking off with the retailer personally. I don't believe that an item such as this should last for that short a time. Have a look on a european site and see if the two year warranty applies to this item (assuming they sell it abroad). Then go to town with the sale of goods act.

Retailers hide behind the one year warranty way too much imo and once you write to them with the facts and mention the small claims court it's amazing how often they suddenly change their mind from wanting nothing to do with it to wanting to sort it out :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

I would defiantly present that point to the company, as what they are saying is their product isnt going to last more than 12 mths. brought a brand for the quality, if that quality is evident dont bother again.

ignore the warranty period, I'd certainly expect a Fly-mo to last more than a year - what 30-40 occasions (with rain and cold and simply not growing over the winter)? that's not fit for purpose.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
And seeing as it wasn't being used over winter at all I would expect it to last. That's only 9 months (ish) of use.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Sale of Goods Act offers protects consumers beyond the length of the warranty offered by manufacturers. It says that a product must last for a reasonable time, where 'reasonable' can be anything up to 6 years.

If you can be bothered to push you would almost certainly win, but you'd need to go to the small claims court.

Read up on the Sale of Goods Act and then try again.

EU law may help too - http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you've got the time, you should take them to small claims. A manufacturer's warranty lasts a year but both the sales of goods act and European law suggest that they should last a "reasonable time" (or someting vaugue like that.) Just over a year for a strimmer is not reasonable IMHO.

It is time consuming though so unless you are retired, you might just want to buy an other.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Thanks to all for the advice,

I have written to Flymo in relation to the points raised and citing the 2year warranty in Europe. Wait to see what they say.

Have just read up briefly on the small claims court. It appears to cost £25+ to register. May just be worth buying a cheap £20 trimmer rather than the hassle of going through there.

One peice of advice for anyone, I wouldnt bother with a Flymo product again. Poor quality and non existant customer service.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
There was a clue in the company name...Mowers are their (only?) game & I wouldn't go near them for one of em that are designed NOT to give Wembley stripes

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interestingly, whilst studying for her design degree my partner was taught that her products should be designed to fail. This was because if they lasted too long there would be no repeat business.

Worrying stuff really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks to all for the advice,

I have written to Flymo in relation to the points raised and citing the 2year warranty in Europe. Wait to see what they say.

Have just read up briefly on the small claims court. It appears to cost £25+ to register. May just be worth buying a cheap £20 trimmer rather than the hassle of going through there.

One peice of advice for anyone, I wouldnt bother with a Flymo product again. Poor quality and non existant customer service.

Take it to the small claims court - it doesn't take long to do and you will win. The company will cave in before it reaches court and you will get your costs back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same applies to vacuum cleaners , why buy a Dyson for £300 when another make does the same job for a quarter of the price.

By cheap, by twice. I still have a DC02 from around 15-16 years ago and it still works fine. Mind you, until the Frau moved in it was more ornament than function.

Dec 29, 2011

My Dyson must be about ten years old now, still works like new. Also have a fly-mo which is also about ten years old and thats works well, although it's only used 7 -8 times a year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How long do you expect products to last?
Trading standards mean that your products should be covered to some extent for up to 6 years, depending on the typical life of that type of product. Manufacturers giving 1 year's warranty is an added extra, and doesn't effect your statutory rights. Lawnmowers should last more than 15 months. We've had our electric Bosch for 8 years, and not cleaned it once, and it's going great (just walked in from doing the lawn, which is 60' x 20').

So no, you're not being unreasonable. Check how long lawnmowers should last, and write to them stating it, and quoting trading standards. Tell them what you expect them to do (eg, offer them the choice of sending an engineer at their cost, or replacing it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here