Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorcycle (well a scooter actually) - keeping rust at bay

theboybilly

I've just part-exchanged a Honda PCX125 (a brilliant little scooter) for a 2014 Honda Forza 300. The PCX was kept outside under a cover for two years and the dealer was surprised by how much corrosion was evident. The brake disc was rusty where the pads didn't keep the disc clear, and the forks were a little pitted at the top. I tend to ride my bikes more than spend time cleaning them as this has always seemed to keep corrosion at bay but I was wondering what tips bikers had for keeping their machines tidy. To be honest my PCX wasn't at all bad and somebody is going to get a nice, used economical scooter (115mpg easily)
As a slight aside, there is a chap who parks at my local station who rides a Chinese scooter. All the chromework is rusty as hell and the bike takes ages to start on a very slow turnover...but it keeps on going. Quite why he doesn't invest in a new battery, if only for some peace of mind, is anybody's guess.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You need to wash it once a week and give it a coating of acf50
Isit a breathable cover? If not it can sweat under there and this will aid corrosion.

theboybilly

The cover is an Oxford Aquatex which I think is breathable. I don't mind getting into a weekly wash routine. Thanks for all your input. Just one other thing. I don't suppose putting ACF-50 is good for brake disks...so will ordinary brake disc cleaning solution keep corrosion away?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The cover is an Oxford Aquatex which I think is breathable. I don't mind getting into a weekly wash routine. Thanks for all your input. Just one other thing. I don't suppose putting ACF-50 is good for brake disks...so will ordinary brake disc cleaning solution keep corrosion away?
Do not concern yourself over rust on discs, they have a very high iron content and will rust very easily, but use the brakes and it all comes away very easily. Brake cleaner is good for removing brake dust etc, but do keep ACF well away from the brakes as it naturally bleeds/spreads which is a good thing, but not on brakes. ACF also make a marine grade inhibitor for use in salty applications, very useful for unseen/hard to get at areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here