Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four years ago I stuck my long neck on the line and said we'd win it

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I was wrong.

This year, we will get out of the group with five points, win the next round 2-0, win the quarter finals on penalties, Rooooooney, win the semi final in a 4-3 thriller, and then take the world cup home with a 5-0 demolition.

Glory is ours.

[yt]RJqimlFcJsM[/yt]

[yt]oMAFme1hBH0[/yt]

[yt]xzsOOLIsZ-U[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm in.

Although a little more cautiously I'll say:-

We're going to do a damn sight better than everybody (except you G-man & [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]) is saying.

I can't wait for all the JCL flags to appear, around 1/4 final time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I was wrong.

This year, we will get out of the group with five points, win the next round 2-0, win the quarter finals on penalties, Rooooooney, win the semi final in a 4-3 thriller, and then take the world cup home with a 5-0 demolition.

Glory is ours

Waiter: I'll have what he's having.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Our time is now, I can feel it in my bones, we are going to win the world cup :banana:

:goal:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Waiter: I'll have what he's having.

World Cup water, English water, from the great foot hills of our great nation. The nation that gave the world football.

"We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that." Credit to Hugh Grant in Love Actually, delete the Sean Connery bit for the purposes of this England only thread.

[yt]WITlM2pY_a4[/yt]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
[yt]xoJqhoBUT14[/yt]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
This will be the first WC I've watched us in where I've felt we have no chance at all.

That's what some said at Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo, Normandy, the Battle of Britain, D-Day, Dunkirk, Goose Green. We will win win win win win win for St George.

[yt]EahWF0xZWe8[/yt]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Dunkirk was hardly a win.

Say that to the thousands of men that stared death in the face and were saved by the heroism of many civilians. A victory for sure. Maybe a scrappy last minute one, but a victory nonetheless.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Say that to the thousands of men that stared death in the face and were saved by the heroism of many civilians. A victory for sure. Maybe a scrappy last minute one, but a victory nonetheless.

Your analogies are as tenuous as your optimism is bloated!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whatever happens it will be more enjoyable than the Sven and Fabio years. I still cannot work out why they were chosen.

Hodgson was my prefered man for the job and I like the selection of new blood in the team, so without building my hopes up I am open to be pleasantly surprised.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
This. I think it means I'm going to enjoy it more

Exactly this. I've been looking forward to this World Cup more than I have any other one in recent memory. There are probably a number of reasons for this, but at least part of it is that we have a generally more likeable collection of younger players than at other competitions, upon whom there is, thanks to the draw, little real expectation.

The other major factor in my excitement being (probably) the fact that it's hosted by a country with a huge footballing tradition, who are likely to do well themselves (it's all seemed a bit flat in recent years when the hosts have exited major tournaments relatively early- South Africa, Ukraine, Poland, Japan etc).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Miracles happen. We are a good side, with a lot of unscarred young blood in the side, I give us a small hope.... I just can't help it :lolol:
I was once like you are now. You're still young, that's your fault, there's so much you have to go through.
How can I try to explain, it's always been the same, same old story. All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside. It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.
That's what some said at Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo, Normandy, the Battle of Britain, D-Day, Dunkirk, Goose Green. We will win win win win win win for St George.
I think some said it at Agincourt. I have it on good authority that no one said it at Trafalgar or Waterloo though. And if it was just us against those poncy Frenchies we'd win it easy, but it's the rest of the world getting in the way.

This. I think it means I'm going to enjoy it more
Exactly. My expectations are less than zero, so I'm just going to watch some games and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I will bounce this thread after each glorious victory. If somehow, and yet again, we are cheated out of glory by cheating foreign referees then no doubt someone else will bounce it!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here