Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Botanists. Lend me your eyes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Do you know what plant this is?

I collected some seeds 15 years ago from the floor of a car park in Liwonde National Park in Malawi. I finally decided to plant them. Thirty nine failed attempts, but I have one bad boy growing.

What is it? I can't remember the tree. The seeds came from a rather large and slender looking brown broad bean type structure.

terybe8u.jpg
e9ynesa2.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Malawi Knotweed?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Malawian Broad Bean. One of your five-a-day dontcha know?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Seriously, kill the f-ing thing now and follow the suggestion in your signature.

You have plants in this building that are poisonous; you picked them because they look good. But these are aggressive living things that have no idea what century they're in, and they'll defend themselves, violently if necessary.

Britain has a pretty vulnerable eco-system and the Malawian Arse-Weed is particularly unwelcome. Do us all a favour and donate any leftovers to the Natural History Museum or a garden centre but fercrissakes don't plant it in your damn garden.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Turn and run
Nothing can stop them
Around every river and canal
Their power is growing

Stamp them out
We must destroy them
They infiltrate each city
With their thick dark warning odour

They are invincible

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delonix_regia

An update... They are doing pretty well. I've got 20 saplings and they are growing quickly. Possibly another 5 or so on the way.

I'm not going to be able to look after them all myself. Would anyone be interested in having one? They require tropical/near tropical conditions.

Current state of play...

e8ymu4ug.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You should try Kew or Wisley, they may be interested.

Do the council have facilities to nurture one? Would it die if it was brought up in a greenhouse and then planted in British soil?

Thanks for that. I will get on to them. Kew Twitter rebuffed me saying they didn't have the resources to deal with my advances.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here