It's looking in great nick, as of yesterday... :facepalm:

Attachments

• manauspitch_2937798b.jpg
    manauspitch_2937798b.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,125

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
be funny if it plays to our advantage and we ping long balls to the forwards, while the italians struggle with the ball on the deck.

whats not so funny is the shambles this WC seems to be - how can you not have stadiums completed the week before the tournament starts?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nothing much wrong with it, except aesthetically.

Well, that's not what the groundsman himself is saying. He is admitting it is not in good condition, and also that there is no way it can be 'made good' by Saturday.

It is incredible, that is £170m for this stadium (which hasn't even got a proper tenant afterwards) plus everything spent on the tournament as a whole, and Blatter and Co can't even get this pitch right for the big kick-off.

Probably the best thing that can happen from all points of view is that we win with a mistake from a terrible bobble and Italy join the anti-Fifa bandwagon as a result.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Well, that's not what the groundsman himself is saying. He is admitting it is not in good condition, and also that there is no way it can be 'made good' by Saturday.

It is incredible, that is £170m for this stadium (which hasn't even got a proper tenant afterwards) plus everything spent on the tournament as a whole, and Blatter and Co can't even get this pitch right for the big kick-off.

Probably the best thing that can happen from all points of view is that we win with a mistake from a terrible bobble and Italy join the anti-Fifa bandwagon as a result.

It's a football pitch that will be the same for both teams. It is parched in a few places and no, they can't make it look nice by Saturday. But most reports say it isn't as bad as it looks and should be just fine to play on.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The roots haven't bedded in. You could pull those rolls of turf off quickly without the players falling over.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It's a football pitch that will be the same for both teams. It is parched in a few places and no, they can't make it look nice by Saturday. But most reports say it isn't as bad as it looks and should be just fine to play on.

the report i read said they've been carrying out emergency repairs, which sounds a bit more than parched. and anyway being parched in places is going to have an impact on how the ball moves around. its not just aesthetics.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
pitch doesnt look very wide ???

corner restart kicks will easily be planted into the danger box zone

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I always thought things grew really quickly and all lush in the rainforest. Obviously not.

Apparently the ground staff got the fertilizer proportions wrong and have killed and burnt the grass.The goalmouths are particularly poor. I fully agree that it is the same for both sides, but nevertheless it seems a travesty that the best English and Italian players of their generation have prepared to be at their optimum, and they end up with a Sunday league pitch to play on.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Although it is poor. This is the usual "it's not going to be ready - everything is terrible" crap we get before EVERY olympics or world cup. It's pretty bad. But not THAT bad.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't know why but I just have a feeling that this World Cup is going to be shocking. Not much seems to have gone right so far and this is another example. I am thinking poor performances problems with the grounds, demonstations, FIFA and Qatar, maybe something serious as well.
And dont forget the endless TV of Lineker or Crooks on the tax payers freebies swanning up and down the beach showing pictures of fat arsed women and blokes doing tricks with footballs. For a month.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Although it is poor. This is the usual "it's not going to be ready - everything is terrible" crap we get before EVERY olympics or world cup. It's pretty bad. But not THAT bad.

i know what you mean, but they are saying that theres still exposed wiring at the stadium. bit more than the usual needing to let the last coats of paint dry and fluff the pillows, they are not finished *days* away from first games. in this country you'd have to go through 2 or 3 ramp up events to certify the building (maybe going too far?). seems they will be opening to the wolrd and hoping everything is fine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here