Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] NATHAN SET FOR WORLD CUP

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion in the Community's Nathan Bowen is packing his bags for a dream trip to Brazil and the World Cup after being chosen to take part in a football project with 35 other young people from across the world.

Nathan, who experienced homelessness as a teenager, will fly out to Rio de Janeiro to be part of the Global Youth Forum on Football for Social Change organised by international football charity, Street Football World.The charity selected the 27-year-old from dozens of applications based on his background and work on AITC’s projects in Brighton and Hove. He will be the only UK representative on the forum and will take part in a series of workshops with other members to help develop a football and social action project.
Nathan first became involved with AITC at the age of 16, attending their football sessions whilst living at Brighton Foyer, a hostel in the city for homeless and vulnerable young people. A keen footballer, he was captain of the England team that took part in the 2007 Homeless World Cup.
He now works a health development officer for AITC working on projects across Brighton and Hove that use football to engage young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Members of the forum, all between the ages of 18 and 29 and from 22 different countries, were selected by Street Football World for their ‘outstanding leadership skills’ and for ‘overcoming a life of hardship to excel in social responsibility and community engagement in their organisations’.

Nathan told seagulls.co.uk, “They were looking for people from tough backgrounds who had come through their organisations to make positive changes in their communities. I left home when I was 16 and it was difficult. I was living in hostels and at that stage I could have gone down the wrong path.”Fortunately, I got involved with AITC and they gave me the chance to do something positive with my life. Through my work with them, I have been able to use my background and experience to help other young people in a similar situation to me when I was younger.”
Whilst in Rio, he is also hoping to make it to the world famous Maracana Stadium to watch a second round game at the tournament, which will involve England if they finish second in Group D.
He added,“To experience a World Cup in a country where football means so much will be incredible as will the chance to travel and meet new people. It is an opportunity I never thought I would get.”
Michael Edwards, chief executive, Albion in the Community said, “Nathan’s story is a shinning example of the work that we do so he is the ideal person to represent us in Brazil and be part of this project. The fact that he has been chosen to take part speaks volumes for what he has achieved and is also global recognition for the work of AITC.”
You can find out more about Nathan's trip to Brazil and his work for AITC on South East Today on BBC One at 6-30pm.
Click here to donate to AITC

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here