Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vogue, or Vague, Gyratory improvements - start 14th July, for up to five months

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
So *might be done by Xmas :thumbsup:

I'm actually quite pleased with the new bus lanes, as I got rid of the car, so now breeze townwards :)

Am cautiously optimistic the Vogue Gyratory will be re-engineered so it will be like a knife through butter :)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm dreading the congestion these works could cause. The roadworks up Hollingdean Road cause it to grind to a halt at peak times, never mind having the gyratory itself down a lane

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Am cautiously optimistic the Vogue Gyratory will be re-engineered so it will be like a knife through butter :)[/QUOTE]

Looking at the mess they have created with other traffic systems it wont be like a hot knife through butter but more like swimming in treacle

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is this going to be the usual method of improving a junction which is in major need of improvement, but not doing it very well? That would be TEXTBOOK Brighton & Hove.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Last week the highways agency went all around Vogue Gyratory repainting the road markings (white lines, double yellow lines, arrows and wording etc) and at the end of next month they will set about changing the layout drastically.

Did someone at the council / highways agency not think that it was not worth marking the road a month before it was all due to change?! Could have saved a few quid there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Last week the highways agency went all around Vogue Gyratory repainting the road markings (white lines, double yellow lines, arrows and wording etc) and at the end of next month they will set about changing the layout drastically.

Did someone at the council / highways agency not think that it was not worth marking the road a month before it was all due to change?! Could have saved a few quid there.

Good grief - this IS the UK you know. We don't do joined up thinking at local / central government level. I've just found this out even more given I'm attempting to claim various benefits and I have to apply to the council, HMRC and DWP yet none of them will speak to each other !!!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Last week the highways agency went all around Vogue Gyratory repainting the road markings (white lines, double yellow lines, arrows and wording etc) and at the end of next month they will set about changing the layout slightly.

I imagine they had some paint left over after painting all those POINTLESS 20mph markings on the roads near Preston Park.

Oh and I've corrected your post.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11415050.Vogue_Gyratory_road_and_cycle_works_start_again/?ref=mr

THE next phase of road works on one of the city’s busiest carriageways is expected to start today. The northbound carriageway of Brighton’s Upper Lewes Road will be temporarily closed at the Lewes Road junction as part of Brighton and Hove City Council’s plans to improve safety of the Vogue Gyratory.
The works initially began on July 14, where a single lane on the northbound carriageway was closed to facilitate footway works in the centre of the gyratory.
Phase two of the project is expected to start today, which will see the introduction of temporary pedestrian crossings and, at times, the reduction of the northbound carriageway to a single lane.
The initial proposals for the Vogue Gyratory were developed as part of the authority’s Lewes Road Improvement Scheme.
The project will see priority green signals created for cyclists at traffic lights, providing a three-second head start to reduce traffic conflict.
The creation of a continuous two-meter wide northbound cycle lane through the gyratory system is designed to increase drivers’ awareness of cyclists.

Cyclist Matthew Easterbrook, a lecturer of psychology at the University of Sussex, welcomed the improvements.
He said: “Cycling out of town along the Gyratory is just a disaster waiting to happen at the moment - cars, buses and lorries force you to squeeze up dangerously close to the curb as you set off from the traffic lights before you have to cycle across three lanes of traffic.
“It's not much better for the motorists either.
“They have to change lanes within about 50 meters or risk going completely the wrong way.
“It's understandable that drivers get annoyed with cyclists blocking their way, and understandable why a lot of potential cyclists forego their ride to work because of the dangers around the Gyratory. “I am looking forward to a safer and less dangerous journey to work, and expect that it'll really help improve cycle numbers in Brighton.”
The scheme also aims to make improvements for traffic flow by replacing traffic signal equipment using up-to-date technology and replacing the road surface and clarity of road markings.
When asked about the work’s effect on local businesses, a Brighton and Hove City Council spokeswoman said: “The location of the Upper Lewes Road closure is not in front of businesses or residences which means that access to both can be maintained.
“The council has been working with the local businesses to ensure that their deliveries can take place during the works.”

Would avoid the area where possible. Traffic has been much busier on Lewes road and side roads over the last few weeks.

Spun Cuppa

It looks like there will be no entry into Upper Lewes Road from the southbound Lewes Rd at the Gyratory, taking the little Ditchling Rd (E & W bound) traffic down the Lewes Rd and along the already pinched Union Rd :facepalm:

There's always a catch...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been at home for this last month as I've been between contracts. Haven't been based at home for over a year and I'm amazed and appalled at how busy Ditchling Road is now. Walking up to Raven's bakery on the eastern side I now have to wait for the Fiveways lights to hold up all the traffic before I can nip across and get my Jamaican pasty. Never used to have to do that, I guess it's all the traffic avoiding the roadworks?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It looks like there will be no entry into Upper Lewes Road from the southbound Lewes Rd at the Gyratory, taking the little Ditchling Rd (E & W bound) traffic down the Lewes Rd and along the already pinched Union Rd :facepalm:

We walked down to the Bugle last night and my wife tripped over the new sunken cycle lane by the Sainsbury's entrance. Typical. Pedestrians are always at the bottom of the transport food chain ...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been at home for this last month as I've been between contracts. Haven't been based at home for over a year and I'm amazed and appalled at how busy Ditchling Road is now. Walking up to Raven's bakery on the eastern side I now have to wait for the Fiveways lights to hold up all the traffic before I can nip across and get my Jamaican pasty. Never used to have to do that, I guess it's all the traffic avoiding the roadworks?

Oh, the humanity! :lolol:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

The way I see it is that you will be able to continue entering Upper Lewes Rd from the Gyratory but will not be able to exit Upper Lewes Rd to join the Gyratory.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The way I see it is that you will be able to continue entering Upper Lewes Rd from the Gyratory but will not be able to exit Upper Lewes Rd to join the Gyratory.

Correct - you have to go down one of the sidestreets and join Lewes Road before it gets to the gyratory.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
If they could do this, it would be an improvement.

gyratory.jpg

Spun Cuppa

Not sure about that, as the newly installed lights seem to be facing traffic exiting ULR onto the Gyratory ??? Might be wrong though, and not for the first time :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here