Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Cabbie Protest

Whose side are you on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Black cabs blockading all of central London in protest against Uber service.

I am firmly on both sides of the argument. Feel bad for cabbies but Uber is a good service and the times they are a changing. Would be a shame if the bully boy tactics of the cab driver saw off emerging app services like they saw off the tuc tucs in Brighton.

What do you think?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Good idea , it's about time they had some competition , the black cab prices are a rip off and so are some of the routes they take . Means cheaper prices I guess , everybody has to cut back these days so why not them .

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
All in favour if they deliver a good service

Voted cabbies, but not 100% behind them. TfL have clearly sold them down the river on this issue - apparently using mobile phones in the way that Uber do doesn't make them 'fixed meters' (which is what only black cabs are allowed) because they aren't fixed, which is a pretty spurious way of getting around the regulations; suggests that they need updating. However, all of Uber's European revenues are processed in the Netherlands, so it's more money leaking out of the country without being taxed.

I do agree with the premise that cabbies (in London particularly) have had it their own way for far too long and should be more open to competition - I just think it needs to be competition on an even footing, rather than bogging down one set of drivers with legislation, tests, etc. and not the other.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
As long as all private hire vehicles are properly licensed, regulated and insured and fitted with some form of consistent metering it has to be a good thing for everyone in the capital.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes, my only real problem with Uber is they wriggle out of paying any tax in the UK. They were on the radio this morning and the spokeswoman refused to answer whether they pay taxes here she just kept repeating "We pay all that is required of us". Sod all then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether we like it or not I think this is a case of technology making another industry exstinct.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I do think the "monopoly" black cabs have had needed to be broken, but then I feel this way about most monopolies.

Black Cabs will always be an iconic part of the tourist-thing in London, along with red buses, buck house and getting in my f*cking way when I'm walking through town. This will hurt them a little but not enough to put any out of business, I'm pretty sure of that. I think it would do more damage to the dodgier minicab drivers who plague parts of London - no bad thing there!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm surprised this didn't happen about 5 or 6 years ago tbh.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Don't the black cabs have Hailo available to them which is just as much of a disruptive technology to the old ways? Use that without trying to stop competition.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
why are black cabs a rip off? they are a fair price to enable them to make a decent living. its only a quid or so on the bus though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
why are black cabs a rip off? they are a fair price to enable them to make a decent living. its only a quid or so on the bus though.

Fair point. They're not a rip-off.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6398437 said:
They make more than a decent living and often seem to feel self entitled to earn a salary similar to that highly skilled and trained tradesmen or professional for essentially sitting on their arse all day.

what is the salary for a self employed london taxi driver?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Fair point. They're not a rip-off.

i fail to understand the venom towards them and lack of support. people are mad. they are brilliant.

people will do anything to save a quid, even see the best taxi service of any major capital city (no debate, dont even bother anyone, thats a FACT), be eroded. and be annoyed that someone might earn a healthy living!

People do realise also that we will do away with self employed, highly motivated drivers and replace them by minimum wage drivers and all the money goes into the pockets of large corporations? Still, as long as the meanies get to save a few pence, **** everyone else.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6398437 said:
They make more than a decent living and often seem to feel self entitled to earn a salary similar to that highly skilled and trained tradesmen or professional for essentially sitting on their arse all day.

Surely learning the knowledge is worth something? It's not like they just woke up one morning and became a cab driver.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i fail to understand the venom towards them and lack of support. people are mad. they are brilliant.

people will do anything to save a quid, even see the best taxi service of any major capital city (no debate, dont even bother anyone, thats a FACT), be eroded. and be annoyed that someone might earn a healthy living!

People do realise also that we will do away with self employed, highly motivated drivers and replace them by minimum wage drivers and all the money goes into the pockets of large corporations? Still, as long as the meanies get to save a few pence, **** everyone else.

I have no venom at all towards cabbies. Uber (and similar such as lyft) merely represent an evolution of private hire cars (not rank cabs).

Instead of calling an office and requesting a car, you request it via your smartphone. You get details of the car, a photo of your driver and can watch the progress of the car to meet you on your phone, ending the "where's that bloody cab?" thing we've all experienced.

Then, at the end of your trip, you don't need to find cash, the payment happens automatically for you.

Also, Uber is not about saving a quid. The service is a premium product not bargain basement. The cars used tend to be new from luxury marques and often come with things like free bottled water and magazines.

As I say, I have no gripe at all with black cabbies, but you don't seem to know anything at all about Uber.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's called competition and if the cabbies are that worried about it then they've realised that their service isn't as great value as they like to make out.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Black cabs blockading all of central London in protest against Uber service.

I am firmly on both sides of the argument. Feel bad for cabbies but Uber is a good service and the times they are a changing. Would be a shame if the bully boy tactics of the cab driver saw off emerging app services like they saw off the tuc tucs in Brighton.

What do you think?

no sympathy for black cabbies, they have been raking it in off us punters for years. the time was always going to come, its here now. pro uber saved me a fortune and waiting around loads already

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here