Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to start to show more faith in youngsters

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With the apparent interest from Arsenal & City in Walton I feel strongly that we need to start to show more faith in our youngsters. We all saw how Solly developed into his first team role last season and how Ince and others have started to shine. If we have a new Academy & Training Ground and we are possibly deemed to be a better club to develop at we need to show people that we have faith in the younger players.

What better way of doing this than installing Walton as our No 1?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
With the apparent interest from Arsenal & City in Walton I feel strongly that we need to start to show more faith in our youngsters. We all saw how Solly developed into his first team role last season and how Ince and others have started to shine. If we have a new Academy & Training Ground and we are possibly deemed to be a better club to develop at we need to show people that we have faith in the younger players.

What better way of doing this than installing Walton as our No 1?

Completely agree, no time like the present as far as Walton is concerned.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Too soon to install him as number 1. He could be our benchwarmer / cup-tie goalie tho'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You can't accuse the club of lacking faith in our youngsters as Dunk, Ince, JFC and March have all broken through. I'm sure if the Albion coaches think Walton is good enough then he'll get the No. 2 gig. Again, he'll be aware that the Albion No. 2 has got game time in recent seasons.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Woooah there, I think the term I used was "more faith", we've shown faith and that's paid off, so now we need, in my personal opinion, to show some more. The post wasn't to aimed at starting the club are crap binfest, you'll see from my posts I'm behind the club and it's ethos, I just think we now needed to be even bolder and throw more youngsters in, it didn't do ManUre any harm in the early 90s, did it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Great idea. Make a keeper with no Champuonshop experience our number one. While we're at it we should make the Icelandic wonder kid captain.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's a hell of a lot easier to "gamble" with young outfield players than it is with keepers. That said I would be more than happy to see him as our keeper for cup games.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Last season the youngsters came through because we needed them - either due to injuries, suspensions or lack of depth in the squad.

In Walton's case, he was not going to be near the first team often with PIG, Brez and Anks on the books. Given that two of those three have now gone, I think Walton will be the default number two - possibly learning from Ankergran and (assuming we get one) the new goalkeeper.

However, I wouldn't have a problem if he WAS No 1. He looks decent, and if the likes of March, Ince and JFC can step up, then why can't he?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Joe Hart played for Man City when he was 18/19, but he had played for the England U19s by then, oh, wait a minute!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
throwing a keeper in at that age is a completely different ball game.

If he made the aquad at the moment he should be delighted

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I hope we get to see more of a fit Monakana this season and hopefully the progression of Glen Rae to the senior squad.

Time also to look to get Maksimenko covering left side of defence as LB or CB.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Joe Hart played for Man City when he was 18/19, but he had played for the England U19s by then, oh, wait a minute!

And over 50 games for Shrewsbury by that time. Walton number 2 and cup games would do for me.
JFC, March and Ince are all midfield players and to put them together in the Championship may be an issue. 2 out of the three maybe. Still, exciting times ahead with the new facilities and potential to bring in more youngsters with potential.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

He had already played a season of league football or more for shrewsbury when city bought him, then he went out on loan for a couple of seasons at least i believe befoer City played him.
I reckon he was 22 before he got in the City team

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The lad wants to stay. He has a better chance to be a number 1 here than he does at City or Arsenal in time to come.
Best bet this year is make him the number 2 and give him the League Cup to play in. He looks like he could be a brilliant keeper and if he continues to develop be a future international (just my opinion) and i would hate to see us lose him at this stage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I just think we now needed to be even bolder and throw more youngsters in, it didn't do ManUre any harm in the early 90s, did it.

There is a reason Alan Hansen said that you don't win anything with kids because in the previous 50-odd years since the war he'd been right. Man Utd's 90s crop is a rare occurrence, and even for clubs with a brilliant academy it is unusual to have more than 5 or 6 quality kids come through and be part of a successful side. Walton's time will come if he is prepared to wait a little while.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Indeed, had already played a season or two at Shrewsbury, not Championship I agree but he was 16/17.

If a keepers good enough we should develop him at the highest level, why would you have a good keeper cutting oranges when you could have him playing in the 1st Team? To be fair we have bigger issues to address yet around a LB, at least two centre backs and a holding midfielder ... add to that a striker and SH, TB, DB & PB are going to be busy guys in the next three weeks hopefully.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is a reason Alan Hansen said that you don't win anything with kids because in the previous 50-odd years since the war he'd been right. Man Utd's 90s crop is a rare occurrence, and even for clubs with a brilliant academy it is unusual to have more than 5 or 6 quality kids come through and be part of a successful side. Walton's time will come if he is prepared to wait a little while.

I don't disagree although your phrase "if he's prepared to wait" will depend largely on who is advising him. I can hear "You may as well warm the bench at Arsenal as Brighton, and for more money". It's always going to be a fine balance keeping younger good players happy whilst playing a strong side that can win things, I just hope we get the balance right and our Academy doesn't become a feeder for bigger clubs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And over 50 games for Shrewsbury by that time. Walton number 2 and cup games would do for me.
JFC, March and Ince are all midfield players and to put them together in the Championship may be an issue. 2 out of the three maybe. Still, exciting times ahead with the new facilities and potential to bring in more youngsters with potential.

The only way he can get experience is if he gets game time.. A few cup games won't be enough especially as you say that Hart played over 50 games for Shrewsbury before joining Man City.

Just playing in the Dev squad will not test him anymore than what he has been tested already.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Goalkeeper is probably the one position where throwing a youngster in is dangerous. However, the real person to decide is Sami surely? He will see Walton in training day after day, will probably give him some friendlies and will be able to make an informed decision on who is No.1.

Apart from that, the no.1 position may well be dictated by how serious a promotion push we intend to make this season. If we are seriously going for it, then we need to get a top drawer goalkeeper in. If not then blooding Walton make sense. Given the major rebuilding required and the restraints of FFP, it would not surprise me if we took a step back for a season and concentrated on blooding youngsters to allow us to concentrate out budget on fewer but more influential players for the 15/16 season...

If that is the plan, I for one would have no problem with it, and for all the stick Burke takes, the DS squad is really producing results.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here