Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European Boycott of WC 2018??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If pretty obvious that Blatter doesn't care about what the European nations think, in terms of votes they don't really matter that much. He will put himself up for Election again and with his cronies in tow will win.

However, if justice isn't done and FIFA doesn't reform, what about a 2018 boycott of the World Cup? With European and potentially the US FIFA would have to cave in, wouldn't they?

If they didn't, start a rival World Cup..

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There's already going to be a campaign and calls for a World Cup boycott of Russia anyway, regardless of Blatter, unless Putin hands back Crimea to Ukraine.

Any increased international sanctions could hit the sponsorship of the event as well, unless there is resolution in time.

As things stand I don't think there is a chance of the tournament continuing in Russia anyway, but that decision doesn't need to be taken yet.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/10/the-west-should-boycott-putin-s-2018-world-cup.html

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is no doubt the scandal over Qatar has really allowed Russia to slip under the radar. I'd be surprised if they end up losing the right to host.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Russian decision may have been dodgy, but at least there is a footballing case to be made for it. Whilst I was not particularly happy with Russia getting 2018 I do not hate the decision.

Qatar on the other hand makes no sense on any level whatsoever. It would be a shock if that decision was NOT totally bent and the voters thought it was a genuinely good idea for them to host it in Qatar.

I think a boycott of 2022 should it stand is very much in order.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like to think that relentless quality journalism exposing FIFA wrongdoing will eventually put enough doubts in the sponsors mind so that their actions will force FIFA's hand.

I understand that the big sponsors like Cola Cola, Adidas, Sony and Visa contribute around 40% of FIFA'S budget, they are the biggest names in their respective markets so if they withdraw not only will FIFA lose income but they will also lose the prestige of being associated with the very biggest global brands too.

Those that have been particularly wronged by the process - England, Australia, the United States - have the journalistic and political ability to keep the heat on Blatter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I like to think that relentless quality journalism exposing FIFA wrongdoing will eventually put enough doubts in the sponsors mind so that their actions will force FIFA's hand.

I understand that the big sponsors like Cola Cola, Adidas, Sony and Visa contribute around 40% of FIFA'S budget, they are the biggest names in their respective markets so if they withdraw not only will FIFA lose income but they will also lose the prestige of being associated with the very biggest global brands too.

Those that have been particularly wronged by the process - England, Australia, the United States - have the journalistic and political ability to keep the heat on Blatter.

Yeah hopefully we're in the end game now, money talks. If the sponsor or European nations walked away that would be it for FIFA

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Sponsors are the best stakeholders to put pressure on. Sadly any 'pressure' hasn't been enough; they're too scared if they threaten to cancel/leave their sponsorship agreement, another company would just come in and take the contract.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I can't see 2018 being changed unless its for political/safety reasons - it was probably corrupt as hell but its not as obvious a mistake for footballing reasons, and its much sooner.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Russian decision may have been dodgy, but at least there is a footballing case to be made for it. Whilst I was not particularly happy with Russia getting 2018 I do not hate the decision.

Qatar on the other hand makes no sense on any level whatsoever. It would be a shock if that decision was NOT totally bent and the voters thought it was a genuinely good idea for them to host it in Qatar.

Indeed, putting politiks aside at least Russia has a footballing heritage and it is about time one was held in Eastern Europe so realistically Russia is an ideal choice. Politiks aside.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Indeed, putting politiks aside at least Russia has a footballing heritage and it is about time one was held in Eastern Europe so realistically Russia is an ideal choice. Politiks aside.

I'd even consider going to this one (politics aside) as I'd fancy heading out to St Petersburg and combining some culture with the football. Qatar can do one, i'm not even watching the qualifiers for that if they somehow let it go ahead.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spot on

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sponsors are the best stakeholders to put pressure on. Sadly any 'pressure' hasn't been enough; they're too scared if they threaten to cancel/leave their sponsorship agreement, another company would just come in and take the contract.

But that's the point - FIFA has elevated the 6 main sponsors into "FIFA partner" status. This puts them above other ordinary sponsors like McDonalds (who sponsor everything anyway) and Continental tyres. The Partners have hitherto turned a blind eye (albeit up to a point) because they have special status and are the biggest company of their type. Being asked to be a main sponsor is worth a great deal in prestige, it shows you are the best in your field. If FIFA are no longer able to attract the best then the whole dynamic changes, as does the sponsorship deal.

If I was a Partner CEO I'd be very, very concerned that FIFA is about to turn toxic. Once the feel-good tournament of Brazil is over we face 2 tournament which are both likely to have been secured because of bribery and corruption. Russia, Putin and the whole Ukraine situation is a mess and you wonder whether the tournament will be able to proceed anyway - this will be less likely with a financially crippled FIFA.

We must be fast approaching the tipping point where the downside of main sponsorship fast outweighs the upside. Yet none of the main 6 will want to be the first to jump ship. I see 5 of the 6 have already expressed concern, and only Emirates have remained silent (with the 2022 World Cup scheduled for Qatar I wonder why??). If they act in concert Blatter is ****ed.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

I agree with your decision on Russia , I know people do not like what is happening in Ukraine but there is two sides to the story there and seems to be no news on TV about the helicopter and air strikes in cities in the East of Ukraine by Ukraine forces but that's another issue .

The stadium and infrastructure in Russia is reasonable and at present there is no actual evidence of corruption to gain the tournament , it is just people guessing .

Definitely Qatar should be cancelled .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hear Echo & The Bunnymen are supporting the boycott of 2022, and releasing a single to raise funds...

It's called 'Spare us the Qatar'.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
By European boycott you mean England boycott...I can't see any other countries in Europe boycotting. And I don't think FIFA will give a damn what one country in the corner of Europe does if the rest are happy to go ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here