Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

#FIFAchange #boycottthesponsors

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's been mentioned on the other thread, but I thought it was worthy of it's own.

If we, as fans, want FIFA to listen, FIFA to actually acknowledge that it is the FANS that matter, and at the end of the day we are the ultimate customers, then we need to show how powerful we are as a group. There is no point trying to start a campaign whereby fans do not buy tickets to the games, and the coverage is free to air, so the route has to be through the sponsors.

Boycotting the products of the FIFA sponsors is much easier as all have a convenient rival in the marketplace that you can turn to instead. It's as easy as boycotting Focus DIY back in the day.

Are the sponsors complicit in any way? Perhaps not as far as awarding tournaments, but they certainly benefit from the tax arrangements that FIFA impose on host countries. Reports are that Brazil could miss out on as much as 300bn in lost taxes as a direct result of the imposed FIFA tax regulations.

So come on then, why don't we start the campaign here. The sponsors are:

Adidas
Coca-Cola
Hyundai / Kia
Emirates
Sony
Visa
Budweiser
Castrol
Continental
Johnson & Johnson
McDonalds
Moypark / Oi / Yinglisolar

None of those are hard to avoid, all have a very convenient and attractive alternative. But most importantly, is somehow getting a message to these companies as to why they are being avoided. Post it on football message boards, social media, and demand that the sponsors force FIFA to clean up it's act.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Other than Sony and Visa I have no contact with the others on a regular basis. But how is Visa easy to avoid? And why should I give up using my existing consumer electronics!!!

SAC

May 21, 2014
The sponsors are the ones who will probably force through reforms, a bit early to start boycotting them.

A real boycott would be to boycott the World Cup. Good luck with that one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the route has to be through the sponsors.
I'm in complete agreement. I stopped drinking Byudweiser yesterday. I shall try and boycott the lot.

The sponsors are the ones who will probably force through reforms, a bit early to start boycotting them.
Not at all. The sponsors won't put any pressure on FIFA unless the corruption is effecting them. If all football fans did as I'm doing, Qatar would be cancelled within a couple of months.

#FIFAchange #boycottthesponsors

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Will definately be boycotting any sponsors of the world cup in russia, when the official boycott starts.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Johnson & Johnson

None of those are hard to avoid, all have a very convenient and attractive alternative.

Ummm, J&J are one of the world's leading pharma companies, investing £Bn pa in drug discovery with scores of the most efficacious drugs on the market for, inter alia, cancer, crohn's disease & HIV. Boycotting their products could not only kill you (or someone you love), but will be extremely hard to pull off since many are prescription only.

That said, I agree with the sentiment of boycotting FIFA sponsors' products/services.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What I'm most surprised by is that Moypark who are a chicken processor from Craigavon are a sponsor. Wouldn't have had them down as having the scale to afford it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
While I agree that hitting the sponsors is probably the right way to get the message to FIFA I have to agree with [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and say boycotting J&J is impossible. I also really don't feel strongly enough to stop wearing the Addidas trainers I live in outside of work, reorganise all my cards to Amex or Mastercard or say to my kids they can't have McDonalds.

"But WHHHHYYYYY Daddy"
"Because Sepp Blatter's a c*** - er, I mean because all the burgers are off today and someone forgot to deliver the happy meal toys."
*nervous cough*

It's admirable but impractical. It's why these things never work.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
While I agree that hitting the sponsors is probably the right way to get the message to FIFA I have to agree with [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and say boycotting J&J is impossible. I also really don't feel strongly enough to stop wearing the Addidas trainers I live in outside of work, reorganise all my cards to Amex or Mastercard or say to my kids they can't have McDonalds.

"But WHHHHYYYYY Daddy"
"Because Sepp Blatter's a c*** - er, I mean because all the burgers are off today and someone forgot to deliver the happy meal toys."
*nervous cough*

It's admirable but impractical. It's why these things never work.

Perception is the thing. Whether you boycott them ALL isn't the issue, boycott what you can, but make a lot of noise about it on social media, and if the sponsors start to get jumpy, THEN that is when they will act. They won't wait until sales drop off massively, they will react quickly to bad publicity, and bad feeling amongst consumers. Just look at how quickly sponsors vanish from sportsmen when bad publicity hits. If their association with FIFA is causing consumers to buy Pepsi instead of Coca-Cola, then they will either walk away or demand action from FIFA that reverses the bad feeling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here