Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music Festivals you have been to.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have been to Cambridge Folk Festival for about 28 times and Womad once. Cambridge is great, it is a good size and well organised.The site is well drained and has a family atmosphere. One year we tried Womad one year but the weather was terrible and the site flooded.
My son in law is organising an electronic festival called Noisily for all you youngsters .It looks great if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.noisilyfestival.com

What festivals have you been to and what has been your experience.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Festival Of The Desert, Timbuctu, 2006. Brilliant. You could wander round the artists enclosure and sit and watch them rehearse. Getting there was fun, too. Three day boat trip up the River Niger, camping on the riverbank overnight.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Festival Of The Desert, Timbuctu, 2006. Brilliant. You could wander round the artists enclosure and sit and watch them rehearse. Getting there was fun, too. Three day boat trip up the River Niger, camping on the riverbank overnight.

That looks a real adventure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Glastonbury, Big Chill, Reading, Monsters of Rock, V, Love Box, The Great Escape, Miami Music Conference, Essential.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Adding MELT to the list in a months time.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Knebworth twice, including '79
Latitude three times
IOW twice
Reading twice
Leeds
Cambridge Folk Festival five times
Burning man, only the once, thank God.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Glastonbury 7 times
Reading 6 times
V 4 times
Monsters of Rock twice
Sonisphere once
Wireless once

plus a few other smaller ones I can't remember the names of.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What happened at Burning Man?

More violence (mostly drug-fuelled) than I've seen anywhere else, including football-related in the late 70s. Plenty of really aggressive new-age types peddling their notions - new age-ness is fine; it was the aggression that was the problem. One woman followed me for three hours, hassling all the time. :nono:

I love the theory; the practice was somewhat different in my experience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One woman followed me for three hours

This happened to me at Glastonbury in 98. Had a guy come up to me, mumble some words and then just stare at me and follow me. Was very weird and off-putting. It lasted for an hour and eventually I walked to a security area to shake him off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to love the Essential Music Festival up at Stanmer Park in the nineties. Three-dayer comprising Indie Day, Dance Day and Reggae Day (the last of which one year stretched the definition or reggae to just about breaking point by including James Brown if memory serves!). Always used to go to Dance Day, where saw such classic bands as Underworld, Fluke and Chemical Brothers. Fantastic days! Sadly I think it got zapped by the countrywide Foot 'n' Mouth epidemic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All Tomorrow's Parties (RIP) and Primavera (Barcelona and Porto).

Also used to love Essential Festival (RIP) - THPP I seem to remember that the promoters decided to tour it round to other locations across the country and it just fell flat.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Used to love the Essential Music Festival up at Stanmer Park in the nineties. Three-dayer comprising Indie Day, Dance Day and Reggae Day (the last of which one year stretched the definition or reggae to just about breaking point by including James Brown if memory serves!). Always used to go to Dance Day, where saw such classic bands as Underworld, Fluke and Chemical Brothers. Fantastic days! Sadly I think it got zapped by the countrywide Foot 'n' Mouth epidemic.

This was the one. The prodigy that night were brilliant. Such a hot packed tent.

y9ygage3.jpg

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Benicassim - loved it, near the beach but too hot to camp. Plus there was a hurricane the year I went and a whole night of shows was cancelled, including Kings of Leon - I'm still not over it!

Reading - meh, full of teenagers

Glastonbury - the ultimate festival and I'm going again this year

Wilderness - small, friendly and chilled out and I shall be going again this year

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
One year we tried Womad one year but the weather was terrible and the site flooded.

Think that must have been the first year Womad was at Charlton Park, Malmesbury (2006?). We went and like you say, it was the muddiest festival ever, thigh-high in places, and it could take about half an hour to move from one stage to another. We've been most years since then, however, and the organisers have got the site much better laid out and planned for all weathers, and overall it's been one of my favourite festivals -- good vibe, relaxed, uncommercial compared to most, and I like the huge diversity of artists. The site, in good weather, is also a lovely venue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Big Chill was a weird one. Full of middle-class types who like the idea of a festival but not the reality. Everything stopped at 11pm. Most of the people I was with were fully revved up at this point, just getting ready to go and spent the night like coiled springs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here