Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Metropolitan police expecting a hot summer...three water cannons bought from Germany

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bargain price too!

BBC:

Approval has been given for the Metropolitan Police to purchase three water cannon for London.

Stephen Greenhalgh, deputy mayor for policing and crime, authorised the force to buy the cannon from the German Federal Police.

The mayor's office said: "By purchasing them now we are able to save over £2.3m compared to buying new devices."

The water cannon will not be deployed until the home secretary authorises their use in England and Wales.

In a statement, the mayor's office said purchasing the cannon now for just over £218,000, before Theresa May approves them, meant they could be bought at a "considerably reduced rate".

The cannon will be purchased for £30,000 each, as opposed to the cost of a single new one at £870,000.

A Home Office spokesman said: "We are keen to ensure that the police have the tools and powers they need to maintain order on our streets."

It said Chief Constable David Shaw, as the national policing lead, had written to the home secretary to request water cannon be authorised for use by the police in England and Wales and Ms May was considering the request.

The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) said that each cannon had a life-expectancy of five years, or longer with good maintenance, and if approval was not given by Ms May, then they could be re-sold.

more.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27781673

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Be handy when they've sacked all the firemen, I imagine they're dual purpose.
Hopefully they will be posted to where they are most needed?

Croydon, then

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Hey, these things could be quite versatile:

fill 'em up with beer and the Police will instantly become a footy fan's best friend;
fill up the tanks with warm soapy water and they can give travellers a much-needed wash;
fill them with cold water and they can give south Londoners a much-deserved wash.

Other cost-effective suggestions I'm sure would be well appreciated.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
To make sure the anti-establishment, anarchy types are kept in their place when they realise that the Inland Revenue are closing all the benefit scam loopholes.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Trying to force Theresa May's hand could backfire when £0.75m of Met money sits unauthorised and unused.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do we regard this as a watershed in the control of civil unrest, or a damp squib ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As mentioned earlier , probably get on the cheap with the sacking of the fire service . Has there been a more incompetent government ?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Let me get this right
3 x Water cannon
@£30,000 each
equals £90,000

Mayor's office say they are spending £218,000
So, either they are buying something else as well or somebody has added in their bonus for making the deal.

Or do they only work with German water or something?
Can't see what the other £128,000 is for Postage & Packing?

Is this some kind of new Maths that I don't know about?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hey, these things could be quite versatile:

fill 'em up with beer and the Police will instantly become a footy fan's best friend;
fill up the tanks with warm soapy water and they can give travellers a much-needed wash;
fill them with cold water and they can give south Londoners a much-deserved wash.

Other cost-effective suggestions I'm sure would be well appreciated.

Fill it with concentrated Hydrocloric acid and shove a nozzel through an open window at the Houses of Parliament. Be like using Domestos but on a bigger scale flushing all those turds.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Let me get this right
3 x Water cannon
@£30,000 each
equals £90,000

Mayor's office say they are spending £218,000
So, either they are buying something else as well or somebody has added in their bonus for making the deal.

Or do they only work with German water or something?
Can't see what the other £128,000 is for Postage & Packing?

Is this some kind of new Maths that I don't know about?

theres a lot of bubble wrap ya know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here