Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barclays Bank

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I got a letter from Barclays today about changes to my Business Current Account. Starts off nicely about a loyalty reward and a price plan guarantee and how as I've banked with them for 13yrs my loyalty reward will be a 10% repayment of my bank charges etc and goes on to say that my monthly transaction charges will be going up. It then tells me how much it's going up by and even with my loyalty reward payment it's virtually doubled.
What I wanted to ask the good people of the NSC was,

Is this the same for other banks ?
Does anyone do free banking for a small business ?
Are they just trying to get back the money they lost over the mis-selling of payment protection or something ? To double your charges seems pretty excessive.

If all the banks are putting up their prices I guess it's not worth me moving bank and I will have to pass the costs on but I thought I'd ask on here in case people with business accounts at other banks have had similar letters or have some advice about other accounts.

Thanks for your help

Promotion

Aug 27, 2011
Nearby
Left Barclays a year ago moved to Metro. Keep £5000 in the account and get free banking. Otherwise charges are reasonable. There is a branch opening in Brighton this month I think. Can't complain about the service either, can always speak to the manager at the branch if needed. They are open 7 days a week, and welcome dogs!

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Left Barclays a year ago moved to Metro. Keep £5000 in the account and get free banking. Otherwise charges are reasonable. There is a branch opening in Brighton this month I think. Can't complain about the service either, can always speak to the manager at the branch if needed. They are open 7 days a week, and welcome dogs!

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I got a letter from Barclays today about changes to my Business Current Account. Starts off nicely about a loyalty reward and a price plan guarantee and how as I've banked with them for 13yrs my loyalty reward will be a 10% repayment of my bank charges etc and goes on to say that my monthly transaction charges will be going up. It then tells me how much it's going up by and even with my loyalty reward payment it's virtually doubled.

Are they just trying to get back the money they lost over the mis-selling of payment protection or something ? To double your charges seems pretty excessive.

If all the banks are putting up their prices I guess it's not worth me moving bank and I will have to pass the costs on but I thought I'd ask on here in case people with business accounts at other banks have had similar letters or have some advice about other accounts.

Thanks for your help
You need to do the legwork and enquire at competitor banks yourself based on the activity through your account. You might get a few months free to attract your business, but otherwise can't think why you should expect free banking. Credit balances are worthless these days, so your transmission costs etc will need to be covered.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL

Thanks for your help

There is also now an account switching service for business accounts which makes the transfer over to a new bank hopefully less stressful

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
You need to do the legwork and enquire at competitor banks yourself based on the activity through your account. You might get a few months free to attract your business, but otherwise can't think why you should expect free banking. Credit balances are worthless these days, so your transmission costs etc will need to be covered.

Didn't really expect free banking to be honest but thought I'd ask on the off chance, and was hoping to avoid the legwork on here. Thanks for your input though and you're probably right.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
There is also now an account switching service for business accounts which makes the transfer over to a new bank hopefully less stressful

Cheers mate. That will be handy should I decide to move.

Didn't really expect free banking to be honest but thought I'd ask on the off chance, and was hoping to avoid the legwork on here. Thanks for your input though and you're probably right.

Good advice here from SSE but I think you know that. For what it's worth our business has been with HSBC Business Banking since the company was set up in 2004 and this all was free until last September when they introduced a £5.50 monthly charge. We absorbed the charge and only once have we paid more than this. However, nearly all our transactions are electronic; we don't handle cash (at all) and cheques are very rare - maybe one or two per year.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Good advice here from SSE but I think you know that. For what it's worth our business has been with HSBC Business Banking since the company was set up in 2004 and this all was free until last September when they introduced a £5.50 monthly charge. We absorbed the charge and only once have we paid more than this. However, nearly all our transactions are electronic; we don't handle cash (at all) and cheques are very rare - maybe one or two per year.

My trouble is I get paid in mainly cash or cheques which is what bumps up my charges. If everyone paid me electronically I would pay about £6 a month but most of my customers still prefer the old fashioned cheque. They don't trust the internet.
I think I'm just still in shock about how much the charges are going up to be honest. I'm fairly sure if I doubled my prices I'd have no customers left. I wouldn't need a business account then Lol

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Its not just the Business tariff's that Barclays have increased.
The Personal Account Overdraft charges change on the 16th June.
I stay within my o/d but the fees for doing that have made me repay the o/d in full.
Always found First Direct best for service but am stuck with Barclays due to a historical Base Rate Mortgage which no one can match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First Direct (HSBC) - we never paid bank charges with them, and their lending interest rates don't seem to have increased over the years. They are usually rated at the top, in independent Which? reviews / customer surveys of all UK banks and their current accounts.

But HSBC business accounts introduced charges last year - a small flat sum per month. They are so good, so it's a small price worth paying to us.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
First Direct (HSBC) - we never paid bank charges with them, and their lending interest rates don't seem to have increased over the years. They are usually rated at the top, in independent Which? reviews / customer surveys of all UK banks and their current accounts.

But HSBC business accounts introduced charges last year - a small flat sum per month. They are so good, so it's a small price worth paying to us.

HSBC sounds great. Cheers for the heads up.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Beat the Banker. Ha Ha Ha Ha...........Ha Ha Ha Ha. No chance.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

There is indeed. On the corner of Churchill Square and Western Road just up from Waterstones.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Left Barclays a year ago moved to Metro. Keep £5000 in the account and get free banking. Otherwise charges are reasonable. There is a branch opening in Brighton this month I think. Can't complain about the service either, can always speak to the manager at the branch if needed. They are open 7 days a week, and welcome dogs![/QUOTE]

Well that's me sold then :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
HSBC sounds great. Cheers for the heads up.

HSBC are worth moving to, but be well prepared with your facts, business info eg turnover, profit, your own wages, share capital subscribing etc if you are opening a business account with them. Keep good records of your initial internet application answers, because c. 10 days later they will call you and carefully ask you many questions, some the same as your internet q and a's. But is well worth going through this process.

Most of the others banks probably due something similar - they are heavy regulated, including eg anti money laundering legislation - eg if you are putting £100 into their bank to start off with, their questions will include what's the original source of those funds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here