Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggested all day walk starting from Brighton...?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Got a day off Friday and fancy an all day walk, starting from central Brighton. Anyone got any suggestions?

Was thinking 20-25 miles (6-7 hours) of actual walking, with a brief pub stop roughly every 5 miles.

Looking at Google Maps, Brighton to Eastbourne looks like it might fit the bill (stopping off at pubs in Saltdean, Newhaven, Seaford/Exceat and East Dean/Birling Gap). Has anyone done this as a day walk? I don't really know the area east of Saltdean at all, and I'm a bit concerned that the hilliest bit comes at the end of said walk, although presumably the A259 from Exceat-E'bourne would be quicker/flatter than the clifftop paths?

Any other good alternatives? To Worthing and back would be a similar length, I think.

I imagine there are probably good routes inland on the Downs as well, but do they have sufficient pubs along the way?

What's your favourite/recommended day walk in the area (and the best pubs to call in)?

Cheers muchly.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
up to racehill, along to woodingdean, down path by school, to back end of ovingdean(?), carry on down to coast, down the steps by st dunstans roundabout, then back along undercliff. a good ride, let alone walk!

plenty pubs on elm grove, at woody crossroads, no idea in Ovingden though - I reckon café/s should open on the undercliff walk..

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Eastbourne to Brighton on the South Downs Way is a cracking walk. Mind you it's knackering and will certainly take you all day. Some good pubs en route.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Would you recommend an inland route or coastal? I walked to Arundel from Worthing once, but just went straight along the coast to LA and then up the riverbank.

I couldn't recommend a route really, my brother took me for a walk from Hangleton to Arundel over the Downs when I was about 10, and it felt like walking to the end of the Earth. It's a good destination though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you do this walk take the coastal route along the seven sisters. The closest the route gets to Brighton is Falmer. Some great pubs in Alfriston.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way/plan

Pub in Jevington too but would have to do inland part rather than 7 Sisters, which as you say is a better route. He could Take the bus up to Lewes, get off on A27 by the SOuth Downs Way and follow it to Eastbourne about 20 miles. Pubs are mainly after Alfriston as going off route would be hilly and a couple of miles extra walking. Pub at Littlington, Exceat, Birling Gap if it dodn't fall in sea this winter and The Tiger at East Dean may be worth a detour but the Beachy Head pub is just along the route.

For me it would be this walk or a bus to Alfriston/ Exceat and a shorter walk with more pub stops.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can vouch for the Seaford - Eastbourne coast walk, one of the very best in Sussex and a great reminder of how great the coastline is. IMHO a west to east walk is generally preferable because of the prevailing wind and you get the satisfaction of peaking on Beachy Head, just before the final decent into Eastbourne.

As others have suggested there are various other permutations - for example you could start from Newhaven and then via Tidemills etc.

Then over Seaford Head for that famous view of The Seven Sisters, and on down to Cuckmere Haven. It may be possible to wade across the river where it crosses the beach (with extreme care of course), means getting wet feet but quite refreshing. If in any doubt you can detour via Exceat.

Then over the Seven Sisters themselves, Belle Tout, Beachy Head and down into the Old Town. Options include a detour to The Tiger at East Dean and back down to Birling Gap.

It is a good way to work up an appetite for fish and chips and a couple of pints on Eastbourne seafront. If you are going to sample various other pubs enroute then I would allow all day to enjoy the walk and especially the viewpoints along the way, otherwise if you fancy a more spirited pace then it is do-able in half a day.

Train / bus home. No probs.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why not start in Croydon and just head back down to Brighton, every step closer to home will be blissful. However I would recommend starting off with a steady jog and perhaps skip any pubs until you get past Crawley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here