Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday takeover

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
French sports newspaper L’Equipe is reporting that Azerbaijani businessman Hafiz Mammadov has completed a takeover of Sheffield Wednesday.

Wednesday fans are expecting him to clear their debts and spend a fair amount on players this summer (~£10 Mill). Another promotion competitor then.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
So i wonder who is next on Manderic's list. I dont think he has been sucessful at any of the clubs he has owned and all have had financial difficulties once he has left . Of course i was forgetting the meteoric success of Buying the FA cup with Portsmouth and then taking his money and running !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
French sports newspaper L’Equipe is reporting that Azerbaijani businessman Hafiz Mammadov has completed a takeover of Sheffield Wednesday.

Wednesday fans are expecting him to clear their debts and spend a fair amount on players this summer (~£10 Mill). Another promotion competitor then.

Just so long as he doesn't go spoiling their authentic big club atmosphere with his weird Azerbaijani ways........

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well Forest did incredibly well to get promoted after spending all their money.....oh hang on.

Wont make the slightest bit of difference, id be more worried about Bournemouth myself.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Going to a client tomorrow who is a massive Wednesday fan. I'll see what his take is on this.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The thing is he won't just clear their debts as I'm fairly certain he wont be allowed to do that under FFP. He will most likely absorb their debts, effectively taking them on from whoever they belong to at the moment. An Azerbaijani 'businessman' eh, that definitely doesnt sound dodgy at all does it? And when he has 'invested' a certain amount of his legitimate 'businessmans' money and had enough he will pull out and the debt which will no doubt be bigger by this stage will then be a debt to him. A cynical view but some of these clubs never seem to learn!

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Why do these foreign buyers bother these days? Do they not understand the FFP rules?

Wednesday have got potential though. They've been hamstrung for years by a relatively small amount of debt but if he clears that and can get some players in they could be MASSIVE again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
An Azerbaijani millionaire with no previous connection to Sheffield or English football.

Nope, I can only see this turning out to be a HUGE success. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It will end in tears like it does with all these FOREIGN owners

They need a TRIED and TESTED British owner
_39913605_batescica300.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here