Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Using Payoneer Pre Paid credit card in the US

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Question for those with financial or banking heads.......

My daughter will be working at a Summer Camp for rich kids in the US for three months as of next week. She's been issued with one of these cards which carry the mastercard symbol "for her convenience".

Anyone ever used one over there? Is it a better and cheaper option of using her debit card? I ask the question as I know of someone who had difficulty using one a couple of times despite having ample funds on the card. Curious to know if anyone has experience of using one in the US?

Another thing that makes me cringe about using a debit/credit card in the US is the slackness of any security. When I've been there, it was mind blowing that my card was simply swiped through a terminal at stores without so much as a pin request, signature or request for ID. Thats another issue though.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
Travelled across the US last year coast to coast, with a similar card (Fairfx) and had no issues at all, would recommend it rather than cash

Jul 7, 2003
I use a Caxton FX card when I go to the US without any problems. Can be used as a debit / credit card to pay for goods and also as a cash card. Much better than travellers cheques or carrying wads of cash around.

You are right about security. Chip and Pin is still not widespread and, for smaller amounts, nobody check signatures on cards and/or IDs. As it was easy to top up, I kept the amount on the card down to minimise risk and then topped up when needed (their app is useful to monitor your account).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our eldest son spent most of last year in the USA and we top up a STA mastercard weekly which worked fine.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Our eldest son spent most of last year in the USA and we top up a STA mastercard weekly which worked fine.

Were you charged a fee for topping it up? When I was checking the Payoneer website, the fee for myself topping the card up came out at a rather hefty 5% give or take. When I questioned it via email, I received a reply quoting the following: Your Payoneer card is intended to be used as a payout solution, to get paid from any of our official partners or the US Payment Service. Your Payoneer account should not be used for the sole purpose of Private Loading.

The camp my daughter is working for is one of the so called "official partners" and that is how they are paying her. I'm assuming the cards yourself and others have mentioned are issued by banks in the UK and don't attract a fee for loading them up?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The camp my daughter is working for is one of the so called "official partners" and that is how they are paying her. I'm assuming the cards yourself and others have mentioned are issued by banks in the UK and don't attract a fee for loading them up?

Correct, FairFX are strong. 0 top up as long as you do £50 (or maybe $50) I think. $1.50 cash withdrawal charge, and free for any over the counter transactions in shops.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I use an ICE (International Currency Exchange) $ debit card. Free loading and could use it everywhere. Being a tight wad on the last day I paid for some shopping with funds left on card and paid the extra in cash. Get home with zero balance then.

There is a fee for topping up her card, as you say. The solution would be to buy one of the cards mentioned here (using moneysaving expert to get best latest deals) and use that for personal funds (or Dad's funds) and as a spare.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Were you charged a fee for topping it up? When I was checking the Payoneer website, the fee for myself topping the card up came out at a rather hefty 5% give or take. When I questioned it via email, I received a reply quoting the following: Your Payoneer card is intended to be used as a payout solution, to get paid from any of our official partners or the US Payment Service. Your Payoneer account should not be used for the sole purpose of Private Loading.

Yes we were but it still seemed the best way to do this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here