Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Gary Gilmour dead

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad to see Aussie bowler Gary Gilmour has died at 62 - no age that.

I remember him making England look like mugs in the first World Cup

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I saw him play for the Aussies at Hove in the 1975 World Cup (I think) and remember him hitting at least four sixes in one over and then taking 5 or 6 wickets. Some player but really only for that tour.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I saw him play for the Aussies at Hove in the 1975 World Cup (I think) and remember him hitting at least four sixes in one over and then taking 5 or 6 wickets. Some player but really only for that tour.

I'm sure I went to that game - was it a warm-up game of some sort?

Scored a century in about 75 balls as I remember

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was a low scoring game in difficult conditions and Gilmour took six or seven wickets nagging away, with his left arm over. If I remember rightly, the Aussies had quite a struggle making 80 something.
What a contrast a few days later at Lords, in brilliant sunshine, when Clive Lloyd laid into him. It prompted one of John Arlott's immortal passages of commentary.....
"...and Gilmour trudges back to his mark. What a contrast from Wednesday. Now, its even difficult to bowl a maiden ball. He turns and comes in...and Lloyd hits him high over mid-wicket for four...shot of a man knocking a thistle-top off with a walking stick...takes Lloyd to 99....and Gilmour comes in again...and Lloyd slashes him down to third-man, thats his hundred and the ground is full of seething, leaping West Indian delight "
RIP.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was a low scoring game in difficult conditions and Gilmour took six or seven wickets nagging away, with his left arm over. If I remember rightly, the Aussies had quite a struggle making 80 something.
What a contrast a few days later at Lords, in brilliant sunshine, when Clive Lloyd laid into him. It prompted one of John Arlott's immortal passages of commentary.....
"...and Gilmour trudges back to his mark. What a contrast from Wednesday. Now, its even difficult to bowl a maiden ball. He turns and comes in...and Lloyd hits him high over mid-wicket for four...shot of a man knocking a thistle-top off with a walking stick...takes Lloyd to 99....and Gilmour comes in again...and Lloyd slashes him down to third-man, thats his hundred and the ground is full of seething, leaping West Indian delight "
RIP.

Sorry...should have made clear I was referring to the World Cup Semi-Final at Headingley.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sad Indeed, I'm fast approaching that "no age" and that's two in two days. Goes to show there is no time to sit around on our arses

Agreed.....Sod the lot of you, I'm off.......Desert Island, a 22 year old in tow, a few crates of whiskey and a copy of ' Margaret Thatcher, the Downing Street years "...so that I sleep well.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Has he donated his eyes to anyone?

As a child I thought the song really was about him - obviously it didn't quite make sense but when you're 9 years old that doesn't really matter does it. A sad loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here