Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your team for Italy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is Henry Winter's:

#eng v Italy: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling Rooney Welbeck; Sturridge

I tend to agree. Barkley is probably the only controversial omission from that side, but although he's been good over the past couple of days, I think he's a risk.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Hart (He is Head and Shoulders our best keeper, the best a man can get).

Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines

Gerrard - Henderson

Sterling - Rooney - Barkley

Sturridge

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Hart

Henderson - Gerrard

Sterling - Lallana - Welbeck

Sturridge

I would drop Rooney, but it will never happen.
When was the last time he took a player on and beat him?
When was the last time he made a great pass?
When was the last time time he scored a goal against a decent side?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This is Henry Winter's:

#eng v Italy: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling Rooney Welbeck; Sturridge

I tend to agree. Barkley is probably the only controversial omission from that side, but although he's been good over the past couple of days, I think he's a risk.

I would start Lallana, bring on Sterling to catch them on the break in the second half.

I'd also like to see Lallana 'Dove-tailing' with Wayne Rooney!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Brazil.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I must be the only person who can't see what all the fuss is about with Adam Lallana. ??? It's nice to have a two footed player that far up the pitch, but he has no pace. I agree that Rooney should be dropped though, and would like to see the attacking formation shifted around to accommodate Ricky Lambert.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Hart
Gerrard - Henderson
Welbeck - Barkley - Lallana
Sturridge​

Sterling and Rooney to come on after an hour or so. Johnson only plays because there's no legitimate replacement for him

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Hart
Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines
Gerrard Henderson
Barkley Rooney Stirling
Sturridge

If Ox is fit would be tempted to push Barkley to the bench, would be tempted to drop Rooney He is the most talented player England have but seems to struggle to fit into a system with us. However if we drop Rooney I don't think it would do much good for team morale as I am sure he is a big dressing room & on pitch personality so for that and in hope he lives up to his ability I would keep him in !

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
The problem with starting Sterling is he won't last long in that heat and with no Ox, there's no pacey option left on the bench. He'll be ideal running at exhausted Italian defenders late on.

Stumpy Tim

Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Barkley, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge

Lallana hasn't done enough for me, and Wellbeck actually played well against Honduras. He will also be used to track Pirlo. Sterling to come on when Italy legs are tired

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Barkley, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge

Lallana hasn't done enough for me, and Wellbeck actually played well against Honduras. He will also be used to track Pirlo. Sterling to come on when Italy legs are tired

I would choose this team, but have a nasty feeling Roy might go for Milner rather than Barkley. He is a naturally cautious coach and both teams will likely be happy with a point. Milner will provide protection if Johnson gets caught too far up the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It'll be the team that played the 1st and 3rd friendlies.

My only possible changes would be either Sterling for Welbeck or Barkley for Rooney, but perhaps those will be the changes at around 60mins.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd have the team that started the game against Honduras although I think Milner will get the nod over Lallana. I hope Sterling is on the bench and comes on at about 60 minutes. In that heat, with his pace, he could do some serious damage given that I believe the 1st half is a nailed on 0-0 at HT.

The Italian midfield (Excluding Veratti) is between 27 and 35 (3 of them over 30) without a great deal of pace. Granted, their defence is more youthful than usual. Playing the right subs at the right time could see us win that game. Before anyone says 'We should attack from the off' bear in mind it is forecast to be 25 degress at 23:00 and extremely humid in Manaus. Roy being cautious will serve us well.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
HART

JOHNSON ~ CAHILL ~ JAGIELKA ~ BAINS

GERRARD ~ LAMPARD

STERLING ~ ROONEY ~ LALLANA

STURRIDGE​

Experience in the middle is where the games won! With pace up top, and Rooney linking things together, this team has all the attacking FLAIR and defensive EXPERIENCE international teams need!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The thought that Glen Johnson is England's Number One right back makes me want to cry.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
HART

JOHNSON CAHILL JAGIELKA BAINES

GERRARD HENDERSON

STERLING ~ ROONEY ~ LALLANA

STURRIDGE

If Rooney doesn't perform he's dropped for Uruguay.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand the argument that you leave Sterling and Barkley on the bench until the last 20 minutes when the Italian defence is "tired". If you're Italy and already 2-0 up you won't be feeling tired, just euphoric at the prospect of victory and that your opponents left their two most dangerous players out of the starting line-up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here