Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best beach in Sussex?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I love Hove beach because it's fairly quiet and a short stroll from home - the only thing that's annoying now is the amount of people having BBQ's on the beach that produce so much smoke and smell, it's not relaxing.
Southwick beach by the locks is lovely and quiet but a bit further to go and I really like Goring gap.

Where are you favourite beaches in the Sussex area?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
None. Try another county

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sandy - Camber
Bars - Brighton
Beautiful - Birling Gap?

Agree about your comments on the barbeques, it gets way too much and is really bad for air pollution in the city. Almost tempted to say they should ban them, though this would be a shame. Maybe just have a couple of allocated barbeque beaches.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sandy - Camber
Bars - Brighton
Beautiful - Birling Gap?

Agree about your comments on the barbeques, it gets way too much and is really bad for air pollution in the city. Almost tempted to say they should ban them, though this would be a shame. Maybe just have a couple of allocated barbeque beaches.

You can't be serious that bar-b-ques have an impact on air pollution in the city!? There must be a constant daily flow of traffic along the sea front that completely dwarfs bar-b-ques, in fact smokers probably cause more than a bit of outdoor cooking!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Barbeques on the lawns themselves are banned but the beaches I guess its harder to patrol.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Barbeques on the lawns themselves are banned but the beaches I guess its harder to patrol.

The amount of people still having BBQ's on the lawns yesterday though. It isn't policed. I just find it really selfish when people plonk themselves down around you and start their BBQ without any concern that you don't want the constant smoke in your face.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Advice from the City Council

Barbecues on the beach

This is a guide on how and where to barbecue safely on Brighton & Hove's beaches. Please tell your friends and family about the rules.

Within Brighton & Hove you may use barbecues on the beach after 6pm apart from in the areas listed below

You may not barbecue:
• between the two piers in Brighton
• between Hove Street and Fourth Avenue (this is the area between the end of Hove Lawns and King Alfred Leisure Centre car park)
• on Hove Lawns or its surrounding areas such as behind the beach huts
• on the promenade or its surrounding walls
• on any beach before 6pm

Please respect your fellow beach users and local residents. Not all appreciate the smoke and smell that is created from the barbecue. Hot stones on the beach or hot charcoal left behind is a danger to beach users, dogs and wildlife. Please clear up after you leave and follow the rules for the sake of everyone. Please do not bring glass on to our beaches. This again leaves a lasting legacy if smashed and will cause injury to those enjoying the beach.

Barbecue Dos and Don'ts

Do
• only light barbecues after 6pm
• contain barbecues in a metal tray
• raise barbecues above the pebbles to prevent them getting hot and burning people once you have left the beach
• douse the barbecue with cold water once you have finished to ensure the fire is out and the coals are cold
• dispose of your litter in the bins provided when you leave - any food remains should be well wrapped before being placed in a bin
• use sustainable charcoal - see the notes at the bottom of the page for more information
• follow our food safety tips

Don't
• light a fire - this is extremely dangerous to other beach users and has caused serious injuries in the past
• put a lit barbecue in a litter bin - use the special BBQ bins located along the prom
• cover up hot stones with cold ones - cold stones shatter when they warm up and can cause injury
• leave your litter behind
• bring glass bottles on to the beach
• play amplified music
• have more than 20 people at your gathering

If you require any further information or advice on barbecuing safely on Brighton & Hove's Beaches please contact the Seafront Office on (01273) 292716

Sustainable charcoal

Of the 50,000 tonnes of charcoal consumed annually in the UK, 90 per cent comes from abroad. Not only does this increase the chance that tropical rainforests have been cut down, but it involves extra emissions from transport. Conditions in the industry are also not great for many workers. Sustainable charcoal is relatively easy to come by - several high street supermarkets, garden centres and local eco stores sell homegrown, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified charcoal, either loose in bags or as disposable barbecues.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You can't be serious that bar-b-ques have an impact on air pollution in the city!? There must be a constant daily flow of traffic along the sea front that completely dwarfs bar-b-ques, in fact smokers probably cause more than a bit of outdoor cooking!

I don't think it does, I know it does. That's why the beach between the piers is barbeque free. Obviously mostly particulate matter though (PM10), not other pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide. You obviously haven't been down there when it's really bad, you can hardly breath.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19016674

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The amount of people still having BBQ's on the lawns yesterday though. It isn't policed. I just find it really selfish when people plonk themselves down around you and start their BBQ without any concern that you don't want the constant smoke in your face.

I can't say I was at the beach yesterday, however last year on several occasions some dude on a quadbike come round and put a stop to people having a BBQ. I guess this may have been cut back on now.

We were stopped last year as well, so we orderd Dominos to the seafront, not quite the same but filled the hole!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
There were loads of bbq`s on Hove beach yesterday lunchtime even though it says you can`t until after 6pm.
At the end of the day it`s all about policing which probably costs too much.
Let`s face it if people want to do it there`s not a lot stopping them. Selfish *******s :)

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Goring Gap is nice, I often strolled there with friends.

Littlehampton is nice too, but nothing beats Brighton for bars / cafés! Shoreham (wider water) is the best place for swimming / having a BBQ.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think it does, I know it does. That's why the beach between the piers is barbeque free. Obviously mostly particulate matter though (PM10), not other pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide. You obviously haven't been down there when it's really bad, you can hardly breath.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19016674

It's barbecue free because of safety, not pollution. The queue of traffic that generally exists through a hot day will kick out pollution far exceeding the smoke from the barbecues. The council's policy was due to safety concerns after bins were catching on fire, and burn injuries either from hot pebbles once the barbecue had been disposed of, or burns from people stepping on the low foil type ones which had been left to one side.

These reasons are pretty much outlined here - http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-libraries/seafront/barbecues-beach

I generally steer clear of the beach between the piers, but do use the beach a lot, normally down the Lagoon end and have never been effected but excessive barbecue use. Have to say, the image on your link does look pretty dreadful though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here