Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing a Job Description

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Hi NSC,

Need some workplace advice if possible...

Our company is proposing changes to our job description, in these changes a lot of the points on there are being amended from 'contribute to' to 'accountable for'

I wanted to know, where does an employee stand on companies changing a JD, we are not being offered any more pay and it seems we are going to have a lot more work to do.

I'm not great with terminology etc but it sounds as though we are going to have a lot more responsibilities and a lot more asked of us for the same pay.

I can give specifics if needed.

Any advise appreciated.

Cheers

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's a grey area, I'm afraid, dependent on, inter alia, what your contract says, what the staff handbook may say, the custom and practice in the company over the recent past, and whether you are already doing the things that they are now seeking to formalise (and, if so, for how long you've been doing them).

At one end of the spectrum, the employer could be deemed to be simply formalising what has already been in place for a long time. At the other end, it could be construed as a hidden redundancy process with implications of constructive dismissal from your existing post. A tribunal/Court would look at all the things I've highlighted in the first paragraph, listen to evidence from you and the employer and then form a subjective decision on whether the employer has acted reasonably in all the circumstances.

If you're worried about it, I'd suggest you take advice from a CAB (though in my experience they're not great at this sort of thing), or from an employment lawyer (much better, but not free!). A final thing to consider is how badly you need to stay employed by this company. If badly, you may want to think carefully about how much you rock the boat.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
It's a grey area, I'm afraid, dependent on, inter alia, what your contract says, what the staff handbook may say, the custom and practice in the company over the recent past, and whether you are already doing the things that they are now seeking to formalise (and, if so, for how long you've been doing them).

At one end of the spectrum, the employer could be deemed to be simply formalising what has already been in place for a long time. At the other end, it could be construed as a hidden redundancy process with implications of constructive dismissal from your existing post. A tribunal/Court would look at all the things I've highlighted in the first paragraph, listen to evidence from you and the employer and then form a subjective decision on whether the employer has acted reasonably in all the circumstances.

If you're worried about it, I'd suggest you take advice from a CAB (though in my experience they're not great at this sort of thing), or from an employment lawyer (much better, but not free!). A final thing to consider is how badly you need to stay employed by this company. If badly, you may want to think carefully about how much you rock the boat.

Thank for your advice. There is definitely something going on but I dont want to find out what. I need to stay employed with a baby on the way so I think ill just agree and see what happens.

I do think some of the new accountabilities is bringing in line how the job has changed but some of it sounds more like they may introduce a new appraisal process so everyone can be scrutinized more?

Who knows? I'll just play it out and see what happens.

Thanks

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Similarly, ring ACAS. They offer a free advisory service, not just employment conflict resolution.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I do think some of the new accountabilities is bringing in line how the job has changed but some of it sounds more like they may introduce a new appraisal process so everyone can be scrutinized more?

Yep - a bit new and a bit formalising what's already there - entirely plausible.

Seeing what happens is possibly the best route in your situation.

Similarly, ring ACAS. They offer a free advisory service, not just employment conflict resolution.

Indeed - good advice.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thank for your advice. There is definitely something going on but I dont want to find out what. I need to stay employed with a baby on the way so I think ill just agree and see what happens.

Thanks

If you or any of your colleagues are in a union then it would be worth speaking to them.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

In my experience, try also not to just look at the negatives this kind of thing can bring...change is always hard to deal with at work, but changes of this nature can be a really positive thing, making it much clearer on what good performance looks like, making it clearer on how to perform well and reap benefits in terms of performance reviews. A little bit of time spent trying to understand why the changes are being made may be a real benefit, not only for you but for others as well, and being positive and engaged can be a real benefit to your boss. Often organisations spend a lot of time on what changes are to be made, and miss out the key step of good communication about them to those affected..

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In my experience, try also not to just look at the negatives this kind of thing can bring...change is always hard to deal with at work, but changes of this nature can be a really positive thing, making it much clearer on what good performance looks like, making it clearer on how to perform well and reap benefits in terms of performance reviews. A little bit of time spent trying to understand why the changes are being made may be a real benefit, not only for you but for others as well, and being positive and engaged can be a real benefit to your boss. Often organisations spend a lot of time on what changes are to be made, and miss out the key step of good communication about them to those affected..

Very good points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here