Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(More) Bicycle help please

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So last year I was given some excellent advice on buying a bike for the Mrs. She was thrilled and I got a few excellent shots of her sat on it outside and even going down our lane.

Sadly that was about it :(

She has got a dodgy knee (replacement on its way!!) and has decided that cycling isn't for her which is a pity as I quite enjoy a good excuse to get to the pub!

So I've decided (and she's up for it too) to go for an electric bike and I'm hoping the collective genius of NSC can help again

I know there are a lot of Chinese duds around (maybe even good Chinese stuff) and prices can go into the stratosphere. It seems that they either come with a twist throttle or the more subtle (?) types that give a form of graduated power. She liked the sit through style of hers and I guess I'm hoping for a £500-£600 price tag. Any recommendations, or even general tips?

BTW if anyone is interested in a nearly new ladies stunner (see link below) then let me know!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halcyon-Aquilla-VTSS-Deep-Trekking/dp/B002TLSX1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402302628&sr=8-1&keywords=halcyon+aquilla

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If she likes the bike she has, you can convert it to an eBike. I believe the kits are over your budget, so any eBike will be about 1k+ new. I've not worked in the bike industry for almost 2 years now so prices have fallen. Guilty for not asking my mate Google before I replied.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There was something on the telly about electric bikes and how good they were but they did say to avoid anything under £1k with a good bike costing around £2k plus the cost of a very good lock.

There could be something 2nd hand on eBay or Gumtree.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If she likes the bike she has, you can convert it to an eBike. I believe the kits are over your budget, so any eBike will be about 1k+ new. I've not worked in the bike industry for almost 2 years now so prices have fallen. Guilty for not asking my mate Google before I replied.

She likes the bike (look and feel) just that her knee can't cope with anything more than a very minor gradient ... I'll take a look at conversion (cost and difficulty)

Here's the sort of problem when you ask your mate Google ....

Ben Jaconelli, the founder of ebike retailer Fully Charged, says that until recently, the bikes had a bad reputation in this country. "Three to four years ago, the market here was flooded with cheap, Chinese imports and everyone got put off," he explains. "The reliability was terrible and they looked crap. They had such short shelf lives."

... I think a bit of knowledge is needed before wading in, getting something that looks nice and is well priced only to find it packs up xx months later or has a range of yards or such like ... hence asking those a bit wiser than myself on the subject!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There was something on the telly about electric bikes and how good they were but they did say to avoid anything under £1k with a good bike costing around £2k plus the cost of a very good lock.

There could be something 2nd hand on eBay or Gumtree.

That pricing is sort of what I thought but was hoping that there were good quality bikes at lower prices maybe coming on the market. I'm not too confident about the ebay route given I've little if any recourse if it's crap

DanielT

Woosh bikes are very highly rated and under £1000. The scirocco CD is their most powerful bike and ideal for Brighton's hills.

They also sell a kit for £330 to convert your existing bike if your happy fiddling and cable-tying.

I converted my bike with a kit I got from China (reputable and recommended) and it's brilliant.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Woosh bikes are very highly rated and under £1000. The scirocco CD is their most powerful bike and ideal for Brighton's hills.

They also sell a kit for £330 to convert your existing bike if your happy fiddling and cable-tying.

I converted my bike with a kit I got from China (reputable and recommended) and it's brilliant.

Thanks .. will check it out

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Thanks again for the tip. Have also spent the past 3-4 hours wading through an electric bike forum (pedelecs) which has given me the confidence to go ahead. Also had a good long chat with Woosh and they were helpful and gave me all the right answers.

So job done, Woosh being delivered Thursday and hoping that will get her interested again!!

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
I use an ebike to cycle to work every day - Patcham to Moulsecoomb via Preston Circus. Mine has a hub drive which means I have to pedal so it represents moderate exercise whilst being able to enjoy the journey. I have slightly dodgy knees and it works fine for me. Mine is a Raleigh Velo Cite which I got from Cyclelife, Kingston Broadway in Shoreham - they were very helpful and will let you have a test ride. I had a quick look at the Woosh bikes and they seem pretty good too and good value for money. You may find your employer runs Cyclescheme which means you can get a bike over 12 months and tax free!

DanielT

Thanks again for the tip. Have also spent the past 3-4 hours wading through an electric bike forum (pedelecs) which has given me the confidence to go ahead. Also had a good long chat with Woosh and they were helpful and gave me all the right answers.

So job done, Woosh being delivered Thursday and hoping that will get her interested again!!

Brilliant! Hope she is pleased.

They're great because you choose how much assistance you want. Lazy day? Don't pedal at all!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

I got my kit for from http://www.8funbike.com/store.asp/d=5/c=38 works a treat
I'm now looking for a crank drive like yours for my cargo bike. How about that coffee?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could get her this:-

b4cruiser_twin.jpg

B4-cruizer10.jpg

obergine.jpg

http://www.b4-bikes.com/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills