Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trojan Horse School Report-Surely we must be concerned?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Whether I'm concerned or not won't affect anything. Best not to worry about things you can do nothing about. You'll get ulcers.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I only recenty found out that schools exist in this country where English is not the first language. What the f*** is all that about?

As far as i am concerned, no school should be linked to any religion. Let's not pretend this is something new. Catholic schools (for example) have had what you could call a form of extremism since year dot.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's noticeable that the majority of schools where these problems have arisen are academies, Michael Gove's pet project.

Regardless of your political persuasion, this man is a dangerous zealot and a danger to the education of our kids.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
It's noticeable that the majority of schools where these problems have arisen are academies, Michael Gove's pet project.

Regardless of your political persuasion, this man is a dangerous zealot and a danger to the education of our kids.

I agree absolutely. Schools should be about providing a broad and balanced education. They should not be subjected to political influences which are determined by whichever party is in power. Gove is far and away the worst example of this. And finally, there is no place for religion in schools. If parents want to see their child indoctrinated by any particular faith, it should be done outside of the education system.

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree absolutely. Schools should be about providing a broad and balanced education. They should not be subjected to political influences which are determined by whichever party is in power. Gove is far and away the worst example of this. And finally, there is no place for religion in schools. If parents want to see their child indoctrinated by any particular faith, it should be done outside of the education system.

Where I lived in Luton it was not unusual to see schools dedicated to the teaching of Islam. These schools where around long before these academies came along. Like you I do beleive all schools should be non religious, but I fear it is too late. We have been far too accomodating in this country, and we can see the results unfortunately. I can see these types of schools becoming more common place in this country, and I wouldn't be surprised if in another 10-15 years we don't get these schools appearing in Sussex.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

This.

Religious education is an oxymoron.
Brain washing children to be terrified of the punishment their god will do to their immortal soul if they don't conform is child abuse, and there should be no place for it in our education system.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I only recenty found out that schools exist in this country where English is not the first language. What the f*** is all that about?

As far as i am concerned, no school should be linked to any religion. Let's not pretend this is something new. Catholic schools (for example) have had what you could call a form of extremism since year dot.

depends on what you call "this country"
there are schools in Wales where they only speak Welsh until the kids are seven(7) some cannot count to ten(10) in English until then

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Was this 'Trojan Horse' actually proven, or has something come out of it, and the 'Trojan Horse' thing has been pinned to it for theatrical reasons? Think the report is being released today isnt it?

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'd argue that religious education is more of a paradox. It's not really an oxymoron now is it? after all we can all learn an awful lot from the mistakes of organised religion. Indeed the mis-placed 'faith' in the word of God (or perhaps the 'church' 'temple' el al. in general) in all his/her guises and the chaos it has wrought throughout the history of humanity should be taught to every child.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

A pet project that he will shortly be forcing Schools to partake in, whether they want to be an academy or not...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A pet project that he will shortly be forcing Schools to partake in, whether they want to be an academy or not...

Agreed. The pressure he puts non academy schools under is intense. My wife has just quit her job as a school head as the nagging and bullying from Gove's cronies has become unbearable. I don't see her during term time as the hours she has to put in are ridiculous.

What also goes unnoticed are the profits being generated by the academy chains. Some people are making huge sums out of this obscenity of a creed from Gove..........and it's not the pupils.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
This.

Religious education is an oxymoron.
Brain washing children to be terrified of the punishment their god will do to their immortal soul if they don't conform is child abuse, and there should be no place for it in our education system.

You have a very twisted view of Religious Education.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'd argue that religious education is more of a paradox. It's not really an oxymoron now is it? after all we can all learn an awful lot from the mistakes of organised religion. Indeed the mis-placed 'faith' in the word of God (or perhaps the 'church' 'temple' el al. in general) in all his/her guises and the chaos it has wrought throughout the history of humanity should be taught to every child.

Good point.

If 'religious education' means teaching kids about what religion in all its varieties is, and what role it has played (good and bad) in the development of society in different parts of the world, I'm all for it.

If it means indoctrination in a particular religion, with school life being organised around the practice of that religion, I'm completely opposed to it.

I think the problem the government faces stems from the fact that we already have loads of schools which do the latter, and have done for hundreds of years (mainly Christian schools, but there are also Jewish schools and, in Brighton, I believe that there's a Buddhist school). Given that, it can hardly discriminate against schools which indoctrinate their pupils in Islam. The sensible thing to do (and there's no chance of it) would be to ban the lot of them and insist that all schools are wholly secular in the way they operate -- anyone who wants their kids to learn religion needs to organise it privately outside the school system.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Agreed. The pressure he puts non academy schools under is intense. My wife has just quit her job as a school head as the nagging and bullying from Gove's cronies has become unbearable. I don't see her during term time as the hours she has to put in are ridiculous.

What also goes unnoticed are the profits being generated by the academy chains. Some people are making huge sums out of this obscenity of a creed from Gove..........and it's not the pupils.

To be fair to the Bloke, Gove did not introduce the Academy concept.

But I am not used to being fair to Gove, who is dangerous and ignorant.

I was involved recently on the margins with a school not far from where I live which was forced/bullied in to becoming an academy when it did not really want to.

I think free schools were his idea, and they really are a way to divert and waste £millions of public money in to allowing some crackpot people to do their own thing, while well proven existing institutions suffer the inevitable cutbacks that result. I know because my wife is the head of an institution which is progressing extremely well but is constantly strapped for funding.

This is not on the subject of the OP at all, to which my response is that we should be concerned, perhaps, rather than worried. I do not know enough about the ins and outs of it to be able to speak authoritatively, but I believe the problem has been exaggerated and that Gove is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I also - as an active Christian - do not agree with the concept of faith schools, but appreciate that for the most part it was the faith Communities who used to provide education in this country before the state came in with firstly compulsory Primary and then later compulsory secondary education.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here