Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aspirations for next season....

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, I'm obviously new here.

As the season is over, I've been frustrated with a lack of league action so have decided to try and find out a little bit about our opposition for next season as we're new to this division as a club.

Brighton have had a heck of a ride over the last few years and of course had some play-off heartache that I'm all too familiar with myself being a Brentford fan. Brighton's situation is a curious one, massively growing fan base, Gus Poyet then Oscar Garcia, then his departure and of course the new manager Sammy Hyppia. Obviously, during this period, Brentford had a promotion run-in. I attended ever single competitive match Brentford had last year, so obviously didn't have much time to watch Brighton.

I don't know the current financial situation, the management situation, the fan's aspirations for next season and so on....

From the outside looking it, it seems Brentford and Brighton will be fighting at different ends of the table come the closing stages of next season, however the Championship seems like a very topsy-turvy division, and from a Brentford perspective we believe if we do well we can be looking at the top ten as a target. Would be happy with staying up of course, with a new stadium two years away, maintaining our status is priority.

So a few questions....

1) Where do you see Brighton finishing realistically?

2) The highest you can see Brighton finishing?

3) The lowest?

4) How do you think Brentford will fare?

5) A short summary of your opinion on the club's upturn in fortunes over the last few years?

6) Would you like to take Will Grigg off of us (please)?

I appreciate any answer that comes my way,

thanks,

BrentfordFanInPeace.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hello Good evening and Welcome-
Getting some points from your side would be a start for us...

1.too early to say,we need at least 7 players,squad very depleted due to departures.

2.as above but realistically a top half should be the minimum.

3.if things go bad,we could go down.

4.not too sure,but top 10 is a big ask.

5.hopefully we will not be visiting league 1 again for many years,the club is at the level it should be,anything above is a bonus,always knew things would work out for us,just did not expect it to take so long,why did i believe? Brighton are a decent sized club with quite a large fan base,as for the Amex,it's superb,maybe a little distant from the town,but it's home at last..

6.could he fare better higher up? sometimes players improve?

Good luck with your new ground and the forth coming season...

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
If we made the play-offs again I think most would be very pleased. With the managerial upheavals, the large number of players leaving and the sheer money coming down the from the Prem, coupled with our own desire to stick to FFP - top six would probably be the best we could hope for.

But even outside that wouldn't be disastrous IF Hyppia looks like he knows what he's doing, IF our home-grown players and newer young signings (Ince, Stephens e.g) keep developing and IF we're a bit less boring than we were last year.

As you say - it's a division where it's hard to read the form. Personally I don't think Brentford will have any trouble staying up, you seem to have real momentum and some good players. I don't think I've ever seen us do anything but lose at Griffin Park so a point at least when we visit would be nice.

Good luck for the season ahead and congratulations on getting the new ground sorted - we know how good that feels.

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
Hello Good evening and Welcome-
Getting some points from your side would be a start for us...

1.too early to say,we need at least 7 players,squad very depleted due to departures.

2.as above but realistically a top half should be the minimum.

3.if things go bad,we could go down.

4.not too sure,but top 10 is a big ask.

5.hopefully we will not be visiting league 1 again for many years,the club is at the level it should be,anything above is a bonus,always knew things would work out for us,just did not expect it to take so long,why did i believe? Brighton are a decent sized club with quite a large fan base,as for the Amex,it's superb,maybe a little distant from the town,but it's home at last..

6.could he fare better higher up? sometimes players improve?

Good luck with your new ground and the forth coming season...

Cheers, it seems to me that this league is really unpredictable.

With regard to Grigg, who knows, but this season he's been more than anonymous. £400,000+ on literally nothing, plus his wages.

With regard to our new ground, I hope we can emulate the success of yourselves and Swansea, although didn't you have some money trouble this season?

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
If we made the play-offs again I think most would be very pleased. With the managerial upheavals, the large number of players leaving and the sheer money coming down the from the Prem, coupled with our own desire to stick to FFP - top six would probably be the best we could hope for.

But even outside that wouldn't be disastrous IF Hyppia looks like he knows what he's doing, IF our home-grown players and newer young signings (Ince, Stephens e.g) keep developing and IF we're a bit less boring than we were last year.

As you say - it's a division where it's hard to read the form. Personally I don't think Brentford will have any trouble staying up, you seem to have real momentum and some good players. I don't think I've ever seen us do anything but lose at Griffin Park so a point at least when we visit would be nice.

Good luck for the season ahead and congratulations on getting the new ground sorted - we know how good that feels.

Cheers, it's been a long old battle but it seems we finally have the club's future in safe hands.

With regard to your visit to GP, enjoy it, because grounds like ours with a pub on every corner, right in the town, with proper terracing close to the pitch - well those days are all but over.

Hyppia's appointment interests me, because he was a real intelligent footballer who always wanted to go into coaching, he has good links and is obviously at a progressive club - I think you may have done very well in getting him in.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

With regard to Grigg, who knows, but this season he's been more than anonymous. £400,000+ on literally nothing, plus his wages.

With regard to our new ground, I hope we can emulate the success of yourselves and Swansea, although didn't you have some money trouble this season?

Not really money trouble, posted losses of around 7m which is average for the championship.

Who is the lad you have in midfield that you signed from Chelsea, my brentford supporting friend thinks he is different class?

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
Not really money trouble, posted losses of around 7m which is average for the championship.

Who is the lad you have in midfield that you signed from Chelsea, my brentford supporting friend thinks he is different class?

Can't you only lose 6m as of next season in the championship due to FFP?

And we had a loanee from Chelsea last season called George Saville, just turned 21, in the junior Frank Lampard mould. Good player, although not certain his future lies with us.

Our best player would be Adam Forshaw, Everton's reserve player of the year in 11/12, we got him on a free after he turned the down to join us, got L1 player of the year last season, was in the PFA team of the season, and at only 21 is bound to thrive at this level. The opinion amongst most bees fans is that he will probably play at the top level at some stage. Another one to look out for would be James Tarkowski, absolutely brilliant centre back who we got for a very good price from Oldham.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Can't you only lose 6m as of next season in the championship due to FFP?

And we had a loanee from Chelsea last season called George Saville, just turned 21, in the junior Frank Lampard mould. Good player, although not certain his future lies with us.

Our best player would be Adam Forshaw, Everton's reserve player of the year in 11/12, we got him on a free after he turned the down to join us, got L1 player of the year last season, was in the PFA team of the season, and at only 21 is bound to thrive at this level. The opinion amongst most bees fans is that he will probably play at the top level at some stage. Another one to look out for would be James Tarkowski, absolutely brilliant centre back who we got for a very good price from Oldham.

Sorry yes I meant Everton, Forshaw that's him. I have heard he is VERY good.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

The players got paid,the club made the play off's....after what we have been through,we have no money troubles as such,a new £30m training centre and Academy is weeks away from opening.....it's all about FFP and perhaps being unable at present to be able to compete with Premier parachute payments when it comes to transfers

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Good luck Brentford. Proper fans (apart from those of your lot chanting "HIV, HIV" on our visit in the 90s) and a decent club.

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
The players got paid,the club made the play off's....after what we have been through,we have no money troubles as such,a new £30m training centre and Academy is weeks away from opening.....it's all about FFP and perhaps being unable at present to be able to compete with Premier parachute payments when it comes to transfers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20980190 there's the link I was referring to.

Obviously, the club seems in good shape, I was just interested to see whether this meteoric rise with the promotion in 10/11 was without it's bumps along the way.

Don't get me started on Parachute payments and FFP!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
IF we bring in the right players over the coming months and keep hold of our best ones we should be aiming for a top 2 finish. I thought that in the direct aftermath of the Derby play-off defeat and I think that now. Aim high. Luck regarding injuries is also a key factor.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I would hope for top ten as a minimum, though we have a large rebuilding job to do and if we do sign the number of new players most of us think we need to, it will take a while for the team to settle. To reach the Play Offs will be a big task this time. Our rise has been exceptional since we've been at the Amex (and in our last season at Withdean as well). In some ways our progress has been too fast, so expectations are now very high. Fourth in 2012-2013, whatever the disappointment against Palace, was way beyond my expectations, and Oscar did well to get us to sixth with our injuries last season, though the football was as dull as dishwater at times.

For yourselves, it depends on how good a start you get I think. I thought Bournemouth would struggle, yet they clearly had a good squad, along with one of the brightest young managers in the game, even though I find him rather annoying. Yeovil started reasonably, getting one or two notable results, such as beating Forest at home and getting a 0-0 draw against us (though we were utterly dire that day), then predictably faded and struggled, eventually getting relegated. I didn't think you would get promoted after losing Rosler - I had hoped we might poach him off you (though TB tends not to go for managers in work), but this Warburton chap seems to be a real find. What was he before? Youth team coach? Academy? Your problem could be losing him if you start well. I don't know anything about Will Grigg, but I remember when we last played you in 2011 wishing we could sign Richard Lee off you. He had a stormer of a night, saving a certain goal from Glenn Murray, who was on red hot form for us that season and a Barnes penalty which was by no means a poor one. What happened to him? I also wish you well with the new stadium - the entrance and exit from Griffin Park's away end seems to have potential for a serious crush.

BrentfordFanInPeace

Jun 8, 2014
Nah, I'm only joshing. 6th again would be lovely.

While there is a lot of quality in this league, there doesn't seem to be a team that you look at and immediately think 'they're going up by easter', so I think more than half the league might be aiming for 'Top 6'. Depending on how Hyppia does, you might look at aiming higher IMO.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
While there is a lot of quality in this league, there doesn't seem to be a team that you look at and immediately think 'they're going up by easter', so I think more than half the league might be aiming for 'Top 6'. Depending on how Hyppia does, you might look at aiming higher IMO.

Who is the man with the mic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here