Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Country Pubs

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As I don’t have a suitable grey raincoat, and appropriate dark glasses, I gave the excess flesh of the naked bike ride a miss and took to the hills. I only walked for an hour or so but realised how much I love Sussex.

Todays walk started at the Trevor Arms in Glynde, and finished at The Snowdrop in Lewes.

Whenever I think of the Sussex countryside, I cannot help but think also of the pubs the dot the landscape, many of which I would have visited during my cricketing days.

I realised the The Trevor is probably my favourite as it has so much history of mine attached to it.

I wondered where others rural loyalties lay, and the reasons why.

Perhaps we should have a rural country pubs NSC World Cup ?

Blog and pictures from today

http://brightonlines.wordpress.com/2014/06/08/local-sussex-walks-glynde-to-lewes/

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
One of my favourite pubs from my cricket days was the Brickmakers Arms at Ridgewood. Tea was taken in the pub followed by a lengthy post match session often with a lock in. Ridgewood were a great bunch of characters, including the legendary Guy Cogger. Always my favourite Sunday match of the season.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One of my favourite pubs from my cricket days was the Bricklayers Arms at Ridgewood. Tea was taken in the pub followed by a lengthy post match session often with a lock in. Ridgewood were a great bunch of characters, including the legendary Guy Cogger. Always my favourite Sunday match of the season.

I've played there, but generally went to the pub on the crossroads. I can't remember its name.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The Ram at Firle used to be one of my favourites, stayed there once, due to living in West Wales not visited recently, well for some time, hope it's still going?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Shepherd and Dog in Fulking is a particular favourite of mine. Infact we enjoyed a nice lunch there today.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Horse and Groom in Rushlake Green does good food. Not sure about the beer as, due to a medical condition, I'm strictly a cider man.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I love the Sussex Ox, The Tiger and the Plough and Harrow, all within 6 miles of me. Also a relaxing pub crawl of Alfriston makes for a good evening, especially in the Winter.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I love the Sussex Ox, The Tiger and the Plough and Harrow, all within 6 miles of me. Also a relaxing pub crawl of Alfriston makes for a good evening, especially in the Winter.
I know the Sussex Ox and the Tiger, but not heard of the Plough and Harrow. Where is it, Doug? Agree about the pub crawl through Alfriston, several good hostelries to sample.

EDIT - Is the Plough and Harrow in Littlington ?

I'll nominate two. The Cricketers, Berwick and The New Inn, Hadlow Down.

Never been to The New Inn but am aware of its legendary status - chap I know used to recommend it to work colleagues new to the area as an ideal pub to take their other half to for a nice quiet evening and a meal!

Star at Waldron has a nice setting and good beer, Wheatsheaf at Jarvis Brook is my nearest Harvey's House and I have fond memories of food and drink at the Queen's Head in Icklesham.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Blue Ship in The Haven, nr Rudgwick. Beer drawn direct from barrels racked up behind the bar and served through a hatch, a real gem of a place. Food's good too.

Used to live round the corner, when the large chap (John?) ran it (sadly he died a few years back) absolutely loved it, axing building, great grub and K&B straight out of the barrel. Oli Reed used to frequent the place, quite amusing on occasion. We moved away from the area in 1996, Not been back there for a couple of years now, I don't think the Hall & Woodhouse takeover did it any good.

The Five Bells in Smock Alley is my all time favourite Sussex pub and since1996 my local, 5 real ales, no music, we even talk to each other! Honourable mention for the Rising Sun in Nutbourne too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Used to live round the corner, when the large chap (John?) ran it (sadly he died a few years back) absolutely loved it, axing building, great grub and K&B straight out of the barrel. Oli Reed used to frequent the place, quite amusing on occasion. We moved away from the area in 1996, Not been back there for a couple of years now, I don't think the Hall & Woodhouse takeover did it any good.

The Five Bells in Smock Alley is my all time favourite Sussex pub and since1996 my local, 5 real ales, no music, we even talk to each other! Honourable mention for the Rising Sun in Nutbourne too.

Another vote for the Five Bells, best kept beer for miles around.....

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
I can nominate one.
The Imperial at Broadfield.Not strictly a country pub,but very much on the edge of town.
A pub full of character,and full of characters.
Superb and underestimated 'door stop' sarnies too.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Chaps, may I thank you.

For me the glorious English summer starts as soon as the first ball is bowled in anger in a five dayer.

You lot have brought it forward by 4 days, and I love it! :clap2:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Said it before & I'll say it again. The Anchor at Barcome on a summers day, marvellous.

I don't think the Hall & Woodhouse takeover did any former K&B pub (or customers) any good.
Btw, John King is now brewing at the Firebird Brewery in Lynwick Street, Rudgwick; on the site of the former Brickworks.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I thought that closed years ago.
You might be muddling the Anchor up with the Anglers Rest at Barcombe Mills which,sadly, did close many years ago.
I haven't been to The Anchor for many years. It has had a bad press in some other forums, but whether or not that's justified I can't say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here