Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are car warrenties worth it ?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Just thought buying one would give peace of mind for future car bills, but looking at reviews people seem to talk about small print and garages not honouring them.

Anybody taken out one of these warrenties ? Was looking at Warrenty Direct.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
That's an interesting subject, because my dealer emailed me just the other day advising me to book my car's annual service (I've had it 12 months and done less than 4k miles). I really don't want to pay them 130 quid for the privilege, but my Dad is insistent that I book a service, otherwise it gives them an excuse to not honour my warranty if the car develops a technical fault in the next couple of years. I'm still gonna chance it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I suspect it all depends how long you wish to keep the vehicle,most modern cars are unlikely to have a major mechanical fault like snap a cambelt/chain,slip a clutch or blow a head gasket within 3 years before you have an option to purchase or re lease,better off getting a decent local,preferably family run garage to do the work....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
That's an interesting subject, because my dealer emailed me just the other day advising me to book my car's annual service (I've had it 12 months and done less than 4k miles). I really don't want to pay them 130 quid for the privilege, but my Dad is insistent that I book a service, otherwise it gives them an excuse to not honour my warranty if the car develops a technical fault in the next couple of years. I'm still gonna chance it.

He's right, preventative maintenance will save you more in the future. Its a false economy to not service your car.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

If this car is inside the 3 year warranty you would be mad not to - I had an alternator go with 1 month left of a new warranty which would have cost me £750 if they had a way of not honouring it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
But you don't have to pay main dealer prices. A service done to the manufacturer spec at a local garage will ensure that the warranty is maintained.

You're quite right, however genuine (non patent) parts & lubricants have to be used and documented. My point was that to not service any car is asking for trouble in the future.

Besides after spending £000's on a car why wouldn't you maintain it?

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

All machines need regular preventative maintenance you would be a fool not to have a service carried out after 12 months, and yes it will probably invalidate the warranty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
need to seperate manfactuers or dealers warranty from those offered in the aftermarket. the former make sence and will be honoured. the latter... not so much. there are a ton of exclusions and conditions, to get one that actually covers likly problems usually have to pay for a high premium one. example a cheap one might warranty the camshafts, crank, engine block, gearbox, axles... all the major components that dont go on a car in 200k or more. to cover things like cambelt, alternator, shocks would be expensive as quite likly to go, *if* not maintained. but they will be excluded if you havent maintained so what was the point. so probably better to save the money for a decent full service.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A good second hand dealer will give you a warranty with the car. After that a regular service at a decent garage will suffice.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I got a HDI Xsara 110 hdi turbo diesel owned by a chap at a £1/2m pound address for the last 5 years,the car is mint done 110,000 miles for £700,3 owners,on an 02 plate,tax for £130 a year and my local garage put a cambelt/fanbelt water pump,crack and camshaft seals,oil and filter change and anti freeze for £380 + Vat..

So for less than £1200 notes i have a superb car,even the aircon still works,not everybody's cup of tea,but all indicators down to the suspension springs and struts at the front(like brand new) point to genuine miles.....why bother with new and warrenties

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Back in November I bought the most expensive motor I've ever owned. A Ford Focus ST on an 06 plate. I bought a years warranty as if I'm spending that much on a car I want to see it looked after. Last month the liners cracked, so the block was leaking water into the oil. Apparently a common fault with these engines. Without the warranty I would have been looking at trying to pay for a new engine....

Normal preventative maintenance will always keep your car in good working order, and mot tests will alert you to anything else that needs looking at/fixing/replacing.

Would you knowingly get on a plane that hadn't been serviced? What's the difference with a car? You trust your life with both.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had a warranty direct policy on my previous Audi A6 after the manufacturers ran out. It saved me £1800 when the exhaust re circulation valve failed and screwed the DPF. I had to pay for the filter, but they covered the valve and all the labour.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

In most cases its more than 'an excuse', its a specific clause in the warranty and its invalidated automatically if you don't.

With that low mileage you do need to get the car serviced annually for different reasons than for a more regularly used car also.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well that's all pretty unanimous, think I'll have to re-jig my finances for the next month. Cuurrrrr-sesssss.

And more importantly respect your elders as they know best.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I got a HDI Xsara 110 hdi turbo diesel owned by a chap at a £1/2m pound address for the last 5 years,the car is mint done 110,000 miles for £700,3 owners,on an 02 plate,tax for £130 a year and my local garage put a cambelt/fanbelt water pump,crack and camshaft seals,oil and filter change and anti freeze for £380 + Vat..

So for less than £1200 notes i have a superb car,even the aircon still works,not everybody's cup of tea,but all indicators down to the suspension springs and struts at the front(like brand new) point to genuine miles.....why bother with new and warrenties

Did you really mean 110k miles?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here