Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - How many kinds of infinity are there? [Helps if you're a Maths geek]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've had a thread on this before. Some geeky idiot on numberwang (or something like that) argued that some infinities are bigger than others. He was wrong, of course.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We've had a thread on this before. Some geeky idiot on numberwang (or something like that) argued that some infinities are bigger than others. He was wrong, of course.

Ooops; sorry. Normally, I do a search on NSC before starting a new thread to see if anything has been posted on it previously before starting mine. I didn't bother on this occasion because...well, because I really didn't think there would be. Never underestimate NSC is the moral of that snippet.

Oh, btw, he was right of course. But you knew that and wanted to start a binfest. I'm game! :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ooops; sorry.
Nothing to apologise for. I've never seen that video before, and just because there's been a thread on infinity doesn't mean we can never have another.

Oh, btw, he was right of course.
If he was right, and you explained it to me, I'm probably too stupid to understand. I'm just gonna stick with disagreeing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This was his argument: One type of infinity is
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...
Another type is
1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ...
But in that second example, the numerator never changes. So you can list different infinities like so:
1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ...
2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/4 ...
3/1, 3/2, 3/3, 3/4 ...
4/1, 4/2, 4/3, 4/4 ...

and a different type of infinity would be to include them all, by counting diagonally, instead of horizontally, as follows:
1/1, 2/1, 1/2, 3/1, 2/2, 1/3, 4/1, 3/2, 2/3, 1/4 ...

He claimed that that infinity was bigger than the others. I disagree.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ernest demonstrates clear understanding in relation to this theory, after all he's discovered an infinite number of possibilities when it comes to using the same "joke" since time immemorial.

Kosh

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This was his argument: One type of infinity is
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...
Another type is
1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ...
But in that second example, the numerator never changes. So you can list different infinities like so:
1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 ...
2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/4 ...
3/1, 3/2, 3/3, 3/4 ...
4/1, 4/2, 4/3, 4/4 ...

and a different type of infinity would be to include them all, by counting diagonally, instead of horizontally, as follows:
1/1, 2/1, 1/2, 3/1, 2/2, 1/3, 4/1, 3/2, 2/3, 1/4 ...

He claimed that that infinity was bigger than the others. I disagree.

That's a classic way of showing it. There tend to be two main issues with folk struggling to get their heads around the problem:

1) Minor issue: The definition of "bigger". Infinities are described in terms of the length of the series or how close you can get to a predetermined "real" number, typically 1, without actually reaching it.

2) Major issue: The definition of "infinity". The lay person's definition is only one (of several score) definition and does not preclude there being other infinities.

I need to leave now for a few hours - if you'd like a non-mathematical analogy, I can give you one (ooh, er) when I get back. There are also other simpler examples. You could do worse than watch the first couple of minutes of the video too...

EDIT: The example he cites are a "countable" infinity and an "uncountable" infinity. You could look up those terms, or I could explain on my return. Or, I could just get a life, I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here