Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

bhafc1972

Banned
Jun 2, 2014
Think Paul Scholes has hit the nail on the head regarding his comments about Rooney already at 28 being past his peak. Any other player would be dropped ,gets picked on his name only.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
For such an undoubtedly good player his first touch is appalling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair the pressure on him must be massive whipped up by the press and fans expectations

The pressure on all big names is massive. It's not an excuse.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
He never looks fit. I agree that he's past his peak - not sure when his peak was though, completely overrated player.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
last 40 matches:

Manchester United- 19 goals
England: 20 (43 games)

Past his best ? He'll always score goals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have not had the same attention, especially since the Scoles remarks but as you say he is a professional....and a man

Most, if not all, big names have attention. For example I do not recall Ronaldo or Zidane crumpling. Being able to handle pressure it was sets the greats apart from the rest.

D

Deleted member 18477

He never looks fit. I agree that he's past his peak - not sure when his peak was though, completely overrated player.

it's hard to tell... I agree with the first part of what you said. He hasn't looked fit for a while. He used to never stop running, these days he looks so lazy for the majority of games he plays. I just can't work it out. Who knows maybe he is past his peak. Once he's retired we'll all be able to see what years were his peak years. At the moment you're probably right... His peak was 18-25...

D

Deleted member 18477

Yep 'Zidane' never ever did anything crazy is a massively big game!

One game out of his whole career. And it was so worth it for the neutral. For him maybe not.. He could be sitting their with 2 world cups... Still hilarious for everyone else though!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
his ability is still there, and its an immense ability. problem is his immense frame, he seems built for rugby.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep 'Zidane' never ever did anything crazy is a massively big game!

Fair point. Not the best example. But at least he generally played well under pressure. Rooney has not performed for England for a decade or so. He has never shaped any of the really big games for a United either. When it comes to the really big games he chokes.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
last 40 matches:

Manchester United- 19 goals
England: 20 (43 games)

Past his best ? He'll always score goals.

Except in the a World Cup finals (so far)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. He played in that tournament as a fearless young lad. I personally think SAF ruined him as a player, not playing to his strengths and in stupid positions

In all fairness, I think SAF prob knows a bit more about football than you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here