Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of tippy tappy at the Albion??

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
With Sami's arrival will this herald a new style of football played by the Albion? Are we going to see the end of the Spanish/Latin inspired tippy tappy possession football and a move towards a more Teutonic and direct style of play. I think it may be quite exciting if he can bring his years of Liverpool experience and the physical efficient German styles together to give us a much harder edge. Last season we had too many powder puff players who couldn't stand up to or make a decent challenge and I think we need a bit more of that to get out of the championship.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd be disappointed if if ended completely, fingers crossed he'll be able to adapt and merge his experience and style into what we're used to.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gus laid the foundations,the fact that our players should be encouraged to retain possession was the reason we won the league 1 title,however as we go higher up the pyramid the players get better stronger and fitter.

We should be able to player the ball comfortably at the back but also on occasion put some snow on the football if required.

We do not have the finance to compete at present with the mega money signings so for me it's all about getting a real team spirit going,if Sami can get the players to really want to play for him then that is going to stand us in good stead,we need to be able to break faster and be comfortable on the ball and that requires a bit of "tippy tappy" only at a faster pace and going forward,and not to get on players backs if the passes go astray...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All depends on the signings made. Hopefully he'll start by adding a bit of BITE to the midfield. Oh, and according to wikipedia 'Danny Cullip is now working as a coach for Brighton & Hove Albion whilst also helping out at Worthing College running their academy 2nd team'. Never knew that. A straight promotion to the position currently occupied by Nathan Jones would be nice. IMHO, like.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i feel we will still play the tippy tappy football but he will tweak it with us getting the ball forward quicker and play with a high tempo

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hope we don't become too direct, but it'd be nice to see us counter attack as if we meant it.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
All depends on the signings made. Hopefully he'll start by adding a bit of BITE to the midfield. Oh, and according to wikipedia 'Danny Cullip is now working as a coach for Brighton & Hove Albion whilst also helping out at Worthing College running their academy 2nd team'. Never knew that. A straight promotion to the position currently occupied by Nathan Jones would be nice. IMHO, like.

I think we've already added some bite to the midfield with the signing of Toko from the clips I've seen !!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Teutonic suits me. A bit of Rammstein or Laibach on the dressing room boombox pre-match to replace David Gray or Chipmonk would have us pumped up to steamroller the opposition every time. Can't be worse than Oscar's insistence on playing Marillion's 'difficult' fifth album adfinitum pre-match!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i feel we will still play the tippy tappy football but he will tweak it with us getting the ball forward quicker and play with a high tempo

I hope you're right - problem being, isn't that what we thought Oscar was going to bring ?

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I think we've already added some bite to the midfield with the signing of Toko from the clips I've seen !!!

My Swiss mates agree with you. They were surprised he left, and being basel fans, pleased as well. Hope he works out for us. Remember 'The Hard Man' in Roy of the Rovers? Let's hope he's it.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Gus laid the foundations,the fact that our players should be encouraged to retain possession was the reason we won the league 1 title,however as we go higher up the pyramid the players get better stronger and fitter.

We should be able to player the ball comfortably at the back but also on occasion put some snow on the football if required.

We do not have the finance to compete at present with the mega money signings so for me it's all about getting a real team spirit going,if Sami can get the players to really want to play for him then that is going to stand us in good stead,we need to be able to break faster and be comfortable on the ball and that requires a bit of "tippy tappy" only at a faster pace and going forward,and not to get on players backs if the passes go astray...

Very much this.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Wait didnt Oscar promise us this?

Well,sort of but,well we had a lot of our attacking options injured for long periods,can we wait and see?

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I'd prefer to play like Derby passing it around but more direct and counter attack properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here