Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sami and Nathan

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Can we assume that our NEW manager is happy with the arrangements of working with Nathan Jones and stop the character assassination of our Welshman?

Guess work, I know, but I imagine the Finnish giant has met him and decided that they will work well together. The club don't owe Jones anything, so it is not as though they would demand to keep him whatever the weather and risk scuppering a management appointment.

I am certain he would be replaced if Hyppia decided he was not up to the job.

Can't we just accept that he plays an important role and not chastise him every other day?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Jones is going to be a 'first team coach' which - and I may well be wrong and immediately corrected - suggests that there is an opening for an assistant manager

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can we assume that our NEW manager is happy with the arrangements of working with Nathan Jones and stop the character assassination of our Welshman?

Guess work, I know, but I imagine the Finnish giant has met him and decided that they will work well together. The club don't owe Jones anything, so it is not as though they would demand to keep him whatever the weather and risk scuppering a management appointment.

Can't we just accept that he plays an important role and not chastise him every other day?

Spot on. But you need to change your sub-title. May I suggest 'Nathan' as an alternative?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nathan has done no wrong really. Let's cut him some slack.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jones is going to be a 'first team coach' which - and I may well be wrong and immediately corrected - suggests that there is an opening for an assistant manager

This. From the OS:

"Hyypia will announce his coaching team - including Nathan Jones as his first-team coach - ahead of the new season."

Room for an Assistant Manager - well here's hoping.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Apart from being Welsh, maybe.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Never understood the crap Jones gets on here and from a lot of Brighton fans. He was a decent player and didn't do too bad as a coach last season either. Still, never pass a chance to slag off a Welshman if you're short on imagination I guess.

Nothing to do with whether someone is imaginative or not. There is nothing to suggest Jones is a good coach. Maybe you thought Obika was a good player too then?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Nothing to do with whether someone is imaginative or not. There is nothing to suggest Jones is a good coach. Maybe you thought Obika was a good player too then?

Eh? How do you make that connection? Like I said, lack of imagination (or maybe just brains?).

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nathan Jones knows the club, and players, as well as any other coach available and that is a key trait IMO, hence why Sami probably wanted him to stay.

He also knows the division inside out, which again will be valuable to Hyypia. Although I personally expect him to find his own number 2, to play the Taricco role, with Jones being our modern Oatway (as it was under Gus).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Is he not a good player? It didn't work out for him, but he may well be a decent player at some level.

We've had plenty of flops of a decent pedigree.

It's not as if we hinged all hopes on Obika. He was a back up. How many classy players are available to sit on a bench in the Championship?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
As long as I don't see Jones in the technical area during the game then I'll be happy. I'm a firm believer that the manager should control that area and give instructions.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As long as I don't see Jones in the technical area during the game then I'll be happy. I'm a firm believer that the manager should control that area and give instructions.

Which is fair enough if that's how the manager actually wants it. There are those out there who are quite happy to let their no.2 go and relay instructions to the team, they're only ever going to be acting as their mouthpiece after all (or go rogue and lose the job, either or).

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Which is fair enough if that's how the manager actually wants it. There are those out there who are quite happy to let their no.2 go and relay instructions to the team, they're only ever going to be acting as their mouthpiece after all (or go rogue and lose the job, either or).

I agree however now jones is first team coach, assuming an assistant manager comes in he will be no. 3 so should stay in his seat IMO.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

There is nothing to suggest he's a bad coach. In fact, the fact that we finished sixth last season in spite of all our problems points to the exact opposite. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest he's a bad coach.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Nathan Jones Charlton youth squad beat our youth squad to the Development Squad League title last season. He also went to Wembley with Russell Slade with Yeovil as assistan manager.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is he not a good player? It didn't work out for him, but he may well be a decent player at some level.

We've had plenty of flops of a decent pedigree.

It's not as if we hinged all hopes on Obika. He was a back up. How many classy players are available to sit on a bench in the Championship?

Obika was an awful player. There is absolutely no evidence that Jones is a decent coach, and if last season is anything to go by, in terms of the tactics, then I would suggest it is highly debateable.

Nothing to do with being Welsh, but I just wish he'd left with Garcia.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nathan Jones Charlton youth squad beat our youth squad to the Development Squad League title last season. He also went to Wembley with Russell Slade with Yeovil as assistan manager.

Did you see their Development Squad play? I did and they were awful. Nathan's input was bawling at youngsters from the touchline and haranguing the referee.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here