Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Sussex countryside ideas

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm very much an East Sussex boy and as such, regularly drag the family off to places like Barcombe, alfriston, cuckmere etc. I know that I am missing out on West Sussex. Sunday is looking sunny. Where should we go

Ps kids are 6 and 3

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Amberley Museum, usually a steam train of some sorts, vintage bus running around, other bits and pieces going on, quite wholesome, historical stuff. Couple of pubs just up the way for a spot of lunch if you don't fancy the caff at the museum.

Or Fishers Farm in Wisborough Green, made for kids, large and small so I'm told.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a local countryside,
for local people,
nothing for you here.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Good stuff, keep it coming! I'm toying with the new worthing swimming pool, lunch at that fancy cafe in littlehampton then off to some green space near there

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Drag them up to Cissbury Ring near Findon on the A24 outside Worthing. The kids will love the old fort earthworks and the views off the top are stunning :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff, keep it coming! I'm toying with the new worthing swimming pool, lunch at that fancy cafe in littlehampton then off to some green space near there
For a 6 and 3 year old I'd skip Worthing.

Just head for Littlehampton, and make sure you can see water.

DO NOT LOOSE SIGHT OF THE SEA OR RIVER.

Prom along the seafront, and river.
There's plenty to do, mini train, life boat station, golf, amusements inc plenty of penny push, posho restaurant, a Harvester, chocolate dipped ice-cream.
The actual proper mini railway, behind and right of the posho restaurant, takes you to a very nice park with play area, duck to feed ice cream kiosk that's gone a bit cafey.
Between that park and the sea is the swimming pool, although you can fill a day pretty well without it.

Once again DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GO INLAND. :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A good walk if you have 6 and 3 year olds might be to follow the old railway line north in Henfield starting at the Cat and Canary pub, it's a half mile or so walk through the wood until you meet the Adur then follow the river back south and then cut across fields back to the pub. All in all it can't be more than a few miles but it's really peaceful, it's beautiful and plenty of places to picnic.

If you want a bit more interactive then nearby is Woods Mill. That's really nice and plenty to see and do.

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/reserves/woods-mill

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Swanbourne Lake, Arundel

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand

There's plenty to do, mini train, life boat station, golf, amusements inc plenty of penny push, posho restaurant, a Harvester, chocolate dipped ice-cream.
The actual proper mini railway, behind and right of the posho restaurant, takes you to a very nice park with play area, duck to feed ice cream kiosk that's gone a bit cafey.
Between that park and the sea is the swimming pool, although you can fill a day pretty well without it.

Don't subject your children to LA I had almost half my life there and I have never recovered :cry: only joking.

Burpham and Warningcamp nice walks, fab village cricket and lovely pub after you have spent some time enjoying the pleasures of LA.

I remember posting a "what is there to do in Littlehmapton" thread a couple of years back and got much the same advice. We went and really enjoyed it and hope to go back, but will ensure we can always see water!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember posting a "what is there to do in Littlehmapton" thread a couple of years back and got much the same advice. We went and really enjoyed it and hope to go back, but will ensure we can always see water!
That would have been our conversation.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Balcombe to Haywards Heath, via Ardingly reservoir and the Ouse Valley Viaduct. I've walked that many a time. A great favourite.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
All good choices. How about Tillgate Park, Crawley?

Lots to do.
Zoo, lake, park, nosh etc

I've heard great things about Tilgate Park, but I think it's Wortthing Swimming Pool, east beach cafe and cissbury this week. Thanks all

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Sheffield Park, lovely place and then hop on the Bluebell Railway.

Did Sheffield Park last weekend. Love it. Did the Bluebell Railway last summer and non-plused to be honest. Expensive and dire food at the station.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..

the river walk area is all cordoned off at the mo for river defence work... looks yuk....and cuts off from the end of the pier to the end of the prom opp the oyster pond. shame really, but needs must.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here