Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground v AMEX

In an ideal world what would you be happier with?

• A redeveloped Goldstone Ground

Votes: 71 42.8%
  • AMEX

Votes: 95 57.2%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In another world, the Bloom's purchased the club instead of Archer and instead of moving out of the Goldstone Ground they decided to re-develope it into a 20-25,000 all seater stadium.

What would you be happier with, what could have been, or what we have now?

Poll to follow.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Amex. We couldn't of had what we've got now on the Goldstone plot.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Goldstone any day. The Amex is great but a pig to get to by comparison, and buggered the whole my pre match thing

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Hmmm, the Amex is fantastic but:

To see those heart wrenching photos of the Goldstone being developed I remember just how sick I felt. I don't think a destruction of our new sterile home would affect me the same way. So, I'm in the camp for wishing we'd developed the Goldstone.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Goldstone any day. The Amex is great but a pig to get to by comparison, and buggered the whole my pre match thing

In contrast the whole area around Goldstone is permit parking. For people coming by train Hove station would be just as packed as Falmer on match days (assuming redeveloped Goldstone would have ~30,000 capacity).

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Sometimes it is a bit strange doing the Goldstone v Amex thing as the Goldstone was our home for many a year, so people have far more memories from those days and they are often rose tinted etc. Such as, I am sure people forget the fact that the facilities where third world at best and it was a crumbling wreck, but yes some great nights and matches were played there. Overtime The Amex will have the same affection for a lot of people as the Goldstone does for most of us.

Does the feeling of the Donnie game get any better? the pre match atmosphere, the flags waving, two great goals etc.

I first went to the Goldstone in 1979, so mid way through our purple patch as a side on the up then through the mid 80's during some of the most dire experiences known to man so it has some great memories and some simply shocking ones. People moan about the transport links to the Amex, but they are not that bad if you consider trying to move 25,000 in and out quickly and efficiently. Have you tried leaving Wembley when there is 80,000 there!!!!! They have a bigger fire drill than the Amex :)

I loved the Goldstone for what it was and miss it, but I feel the Amex is better for the all round experience and over time it will create its' own history and has the History Channels say "its' making history everyday".

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In contrast the whole area around Goldstone is permit parking. For people coming by train Hove station would be just as packed as Falmer on match days (assuming redeveloped Goldstone would have ~30,000 capacity).

The Goldstone was in a much better walkable location and crowd dispersal after the game was perfect. I used to love the walking along old shoreham road days and now it's all about sitting in the Bridge car park for 50 mins after the game so the Amex cannot even compete in this regard.

Amex. We couldn't of had what we've got now on the Goldstone plot.

Yep Goldstone Lane took a slice of land off what was required. The only option would have been to have moved the site westwards so that it sat where Newtown Road is. Would have much prefered to have stayed in that location though, and I miss the roar of the crowd on match days that travelled for miles.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Goldstone was a run down shit hole and so lets not kid ourselves here. Put terracing behind the north at the Amex and you will have the perfect stadium.

D

Deleted member 18477

Redeveloped Goldstone or Withdean def!

But the AMEX is the best we could have had so happy with that.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You have complained about getting to the ground regularly if I remember rightly. There must be a form of transport that you can find that works for you

Regularly? When there's a thread on the subject I'll have a say but there's nothing to "get over".

It is what it is, I'm not expecting it to improve (although I believe it could) and I put up with it generally.

But thanks for the advice

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The Amex all the way

The Goldstone Ground would have been a patch up job bit like what Palarse are dong now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sometimes it is a bit strange doing the Goldstone v Amex thing as the Goldstone was our home for many a year, so people have far more memories from those days and they are often rose tinted etc. Such as, I am sure people forget the fact that the facilities where third world at best and it was a crumbling wreck, but yes some great nights and matches were played there. Overtime The Amex will have the same affection for a lot of people as the Goldstone does for most of us.

Does the feeling of the Donnie game get any better? the pre match atmosphere, the flags waving, two great goals etc.

I first went to the Goldstone in 1979, so mid way through our purple patch as a side on the up then through the mid 80's during some of the most dire experiences known to man so it has some great memories and some simply shocking ones. People moan about the transport links to the Amex, but they are not that bad if you consider trying to move 25,000 in and out quickly and efficiently. Have you tried leaving Wembley when there is 80,000 there!!!!! They have a bigger fire drill than the Amex :)

I loved the Goldstone for what it was and miss it, but I feel the Amex is better for the all round experience and over time it will create its' own history and has the History Channels say "its' making history everyday".

This with golden bells on....

Well said that man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here