Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On This Day 1997 - Goldstone (Warning: contains disturbing images)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just found a few photos I took on 6 June '97 of my last recognizable view of the Goldstone. :(

What was the state of the ground when you last saw it?

Attachments

• Goldstone 1.jpg
    Goldstone 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,987
  • Goldstone 2.jpg
    Goldstone 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,981
  • Goldstone 3.jpg
    Goldstone 3.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 1,996
  • Goldstone 4.jpg
    Goldstone 4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,118

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thanks for reminding me! Such a sad sad day. I think l'll go off and quietly commit hari-kari now.

It was nice knowing you all.

Good bye.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Sad pics (subject matter, not quality). Fortunately, my last sight of the Goldstone was one of rekindled optimism following the defeat of Doncaster Rovers. It was more than five years before I could bring myself to drive along that stretch of the Old Shoreham Road.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Arguably, despite the time being sad, the beginning of the rebirth!

I loved that old and delapidated ground however, would we have Amex if this hadn't of happened....everything happens for a reason?

:albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Dear oh dear, this thread should carry some kind of warning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey.

My last view was the Friday morning before the Hereford game. I wasn't working that day and was passing so I stopped and went onto the West terrace at the North end.

The team were training on the pitch which was precarious as there were divots missing, everywhere, due to the souvenir taking at the Donny game the preceding Saturday. When the team left the pitch, I had a last look around and walked away. As i left the ground a coach pulled up which was there to take the team up to Hereford for the game the following day.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Too right, they are heartbreaking. Looking at those, I realise that even with things so good at the Amex and the training ground almost ready, I am still angry about what those *****s did to our club.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
However, exactly 13 years later to the day....

Attachments

• P1010992.JPG
    P1010992.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,621
  • P1020039.JPG
    P1020039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,633
  • P1020052.JPG
    P1020052.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,609
  • P1020055.JPG
    P1020055.JPG
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 1,570

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I have never been back there since the last game v Donny
And I never ever will.
Why would you do it to yourself ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Arguably, despite the time being sad, the beginning of the rebirth!

I loved that old and delapidated ground however, would we have Amex if this hadn't of happened....everything happens for a reason?

:albion2:

You are obviously new here right?

At the time we were in serious danger of not actually being a football club anymore. So no. Definitely not the start of the rebirth. They tried to destroy.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I dont have any regrets of moving from the Goldstone to the AMEX, as I found the Goldstone to be a tired, old dilapidated ground. But it was the manner in which it happened and how we were left to struggle on through years at Gillingham and Withdean.

Archer and Belotti should be strung up for what they did, because they certainly did not have the interests of BHA.

Would we have the AMEX if it didnt happen. Certainly not at Falmer, but Tony Bloom would still have been born and I would hope that he would have invested in the redevelopment of the whole Goldstone site.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Been shopping there many times with no issues whatsoever. It was an awful time, but thanks to the efforts of many and the cash of a few, we now have a stadium that is the envy of many and we should appreciate that. I have many great childhood memories out there, but as with most things in life, it moves on.
Many clubs have not been anywhere near as fortunate as we have, and I for one appreciate it greatly and look forward to a great future.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I've been to the Comet, ToysRus, Burger King, and probably whatever else they had there

:whistle:

Goes straight to gun shop, finds Triggaaars address and patiently lays in wait !!!!!:clap:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Have to agree with DIFFBROOK that it was a sorry dilapidated wreck of a ground when we left, but it was where I fell in love with watching the Albion and still have great memories. It wasn't the fact that the Goldstone went but that the destruction of it represented those f*****s trying to destroy us and they should be harassed for the rest of their lives for that.

But with TB and the Amex i have never felt more positive of our future in 48 years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here