Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D-Day book recommendations please

Simple request: Recommendation for a single volume that covers this momentous day as well as Stephen Bungay's "The Most Dangerous Enemy" does for the Battle of Britain.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Simple request: Recommendation for a single volume that covers this momentous day as well as Stephen Bungay's "The Most Dangerous Enemy" does for the Battle of Britain.

Seriously, I've read 'em all and nothing quite as good as Max Hasting's Overlord written in the 1980s. Long before he became a Sir!

I'm now going to look up your recommendation. Thanks for that by return!

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Seriously, I've read 'em all and nothing quite as good as Max Hasting's Overlord written in the 1980s. Long before he became a Sir!

I'd second that but also highly recommend Robert Kershaw's 'D-Day: Piercing the Atlantic Wall'.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
D Day by Stephen Ambrose. Very good account from start to finish. He also wrote Band of Brothers.
Great author but sadly no longer with us.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

So many good books out there,but if i was to recommend a book that managed to involve the military side and the personal stories as well it would be The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan.....its a very easy read for a military history book,probably why it always seems to be top of the list for recommended D Day reading material.

You really cant go far wrong with this one,the inclusion of so many personal stories in it makes it very hard to put down once started.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
If you are a 'kindle' man the Amazon deal of the day [6 June] is for you. Mind you go via the NSC link though!

I'd second that but also highly recommend Robert Kershaw's 'D-Day: Piercing the Atlantic Wall'.

Thanks, I have gone with this one via the NSC Amazon Link naturally!

For Portlock Seagull "The Most Dangerous Enemy" is highly recommended, as is his companion volume "Alamein". Unfortunately he had not produced a "D Day" volume.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
D-Day 1944 Voices from Normandy - by Robin Neillands and Roderick De Normann

as well as the Stephen Ambrose recommended above

GoldstoneGirl

Jun 6, 2014
I've been a regular viewer on here for a while-but when I saw this thread, felt the need to write my first post! I can recommend a book called 'The Devil's Own Luck' by Denis Edwards. Published by Pen & Sword and recently available on e-books too. It's the story of a 19year old sniper who was in the first glider to land at Pegasus Bridge just after midnight on 6th June. Against all orders he kept a diary of all the heroic events over the following weeks. After nearly 50 years of publisher rejections, he finally got his diary published in 1999.

How do I know this? I'm very proud to say that he was my late father, a keen Albion supporter through the late 60's to the early 90's,
and a regular at the Goldstone. I guess I'm biased, but think you'll find this a fascinating read!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So many good books out there,but if i was to recommend a book that managed to involve the military side and the personal stories as well it would be The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan.....its a very easy read for a military history book,probably why it always seems to be top of the list for recommended D Day reading material.

You really cant go far wrong with this one,the inclusion of so many personal stories in it makes it very hard to put down once started.

Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. is correct. a fantastic book.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I've been a regular viewer on here for a while-but when I saw this thread, felt the need to write my first post! I can recommend a book called 'The Devil's Own Luck' by Denis Edwards. Published by Pen & Sword and recently available on e-books too. It's the story of a 19year old sniper who was in the first glider to land at Pegasus Bridge just after midnight on 6th June. Against all orders he kept a diary of all the heroic events over the following weeks. After nearly 50 years of publisher rejections, he finally got his diary published in 1999.

How do I know this? I'm very proud to say that he was my late father, a keen Albion supporter through the late 60's to the early 90's,
and a regular at the Goldstone. I guess I'm biased, but think you'll find this a fascinating read!

What an amazing and poignant first post...your day must have been filled with silent tears and smiles of happy memories. Welcome on board GoldstoneGirl.

Last edited:

Thank you GG - looked on Amazon and it has got all 5* reviews! Added to the list.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Another vote for 'Overlord' by Max Hastings. His history of the battle for Germany 1944-45 'Armageddon' makes sobering reading as well, especially the utterly bestial way that the Germans and Russians fought one another on the Eastern Front.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Overlord is the best one I have read.

Looking forward to reading "The devils own luck"

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Great first post and that he got published. I've ordered & look forward to reading it. 19 years old...bl00dy hell, I can think of some teenagers that could do with reading it too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not read it yet, but I'm sure Anthony Beevor's book will be worthwhile. His books on Stalingrad and Berlin we're absolutely superb

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Not read it yet, but I'm sure Anthony Beevor's book will be worthwhile. His books on Stalingrad and Berlin we're absolutely superb

Have to agree, brilliant books, all three.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Having read Stephen Bungay's fantastic 'A most Dangerous Enemy' I can also heartily recommend 'D-DAY' by Antony Beevor. Completely changes any preconceptions you may have had about D-Day and makes you realise just how much a close run thing it really was. You're welcome to my copy if you would like it, just send me a pm.

:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here