Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keyboard for iMac?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I'm trying to make my mum's move from Windows to Apple as smooth as poss. The computer itself is loved, but the wireless keyboard isn't. One iota.

Does anyone have experience of the 'perfect' Mac keyboard, or at least one that isn't as alien as she is finding it to be? I've looked at the alpha-numeric ones in the store, but until I try them out for size, I don't know what to suggest. I'm assuming Apple are not really bothered about emulating a PC keyboard too much, but is there a good way to get as close to one as possible?

Ta...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've got an apple keyboard like this one: Apple Keyboard

You need the Apple layout really for things like the cmd key which you don't get on a PC keyboard (or it is differently marked). Other than that, I honestly don't know if there is a huge difference.

The above keyboard is expensive but nice to use, it's like tapping good quality scrabble tiles.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I bought an iMac for uni stuff and i took me about two days to get over the fact that the @ key was in a different place. Other than that it is actually a really nice keyboard to use and i know find it so much easier to type quicker. Hope she grows to love it as much as i now do.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Took me a while to get used to it, no delete key for Christ sake, but now I love it.

Your mum could get free navigation lessons from the Apple store in Churchill Sq to help her over any initial difficulties.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
What's her issue with the keyboard?

Well, coming as she does from a PC background, with its solid, chunky keyboards, and aside from the remapping of shortcuts to be done, the wireless one's keys are apparently too close together, don't 'give' in the same way and overall it feels flimsy.

I've had a Macbook for years and have no issues, but I do see where she's coming from. The iMac of course recognises the PC keyboard but there's such a loss of functionality that it's worth her while in getting something built for use by a Mac. Not even necessarily by Apple themselves, perhaps a 3rd party effort?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't like the lack of numpad on the imac keyboard.
You can use most PC USB keyboards but you'd want one with a US layout instead of GB.
The windows key is the cmd key.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I bought an iMac for uni stuff and i took me about two days to get over the fact that the @ key was in a different place. Other than that it is actually a really nice keyboard to use and i know find it so much easier to type quicker. Hope she grows to love it as much as i now do.

Took me a while to get used to it, no delete key for Christ sake, but now I love it.

Your mum could get free navigation lessons from the Apple store in Churchill Sq to help her over any initial difficulties.

I don't like the lack of numpad on the imac keyboard.
You can use most PC USB keyboards but you'd want one with a US layout instead of GB.
The windows key is the cmd key.

Yes, there is the 'get used to it' school of thought, which you and I have done, but she's not really that way inclined, and at 70+, I kind of sympathise with her! There's the "I know how I want it to work" attitude, and I just want to get something that gets as close to that as poss. I feel a trip to the store may well be imminent.... Thanks for the replies - I'm on a clearer road now, I have to say. :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I bought a Microsoft keyboard and mouse set to,use with my imac, I do find them easier to use than the imac keyboard, especially when typing a lot of text, and of course, the backspace key! Tbh I also find the imac mouse a pain to use for graphics work, again, I find the MS Mouse easier to use.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not surprised, before the ipad i dont think i ever used a nice Apple input device. all about aesthetic over ergonomics or practical use. always found this odd given the focus on usability within the software UI.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
not surprised, before the ipad i dont think i ever used a nice Apple input device. all about aesthetic over ergonomics or practical use. always found this odd given the focus on usability within the software UI.

I'm typing this on my MacBook Air. The keyboard is extraordinarily good. Next to me if my work HP laptop which has a dreadful keyboard. I use it far more and it still feels poor when compared to the MacBook Air.

(I couldn't tell you when I last used a desktop keyboard)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here