Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your experience of using EBAY.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have bought over 100 items on E bay and every transaction bar one has been without a problem. The only one with a problem was when a guy was selling for the first time and did not use very good packaging. He was very embarrassed when I contacted him. It can be quite exciting watching the clock and the different bids occurring.
Have you ever sold anything on there?
Do you know anyone who does really well on there?
I have not sold on there yet,so what problems are out there?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sold tonnes on there, never really had a problem at all. Almost everything is covered, and on the odd occasion something doesn't turn up, PayPal will refund you, and likewise with the Post Office if something you send doesn't show (albeit a slightly longer process).

I sell all my unwanted clothes on there, and usually get quite a bit towards what I spend on new stuff. You can also pick up new stuff at MASSIVELY discounted prices, just from private sellers selling stuff which is unreturnable.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My missus started selling clothes on thete about a year back, she had a fairly new account. She did really well, 100% feedback, but then ebay started saying her postage costs were too high although she was only charging the same as othet sellers, so she dropped her charges, and has even lost money on some. Ebay then started to restrict the number of items she could sell a month,and you have no way of disputing it. She then started to sell on my account which is a long standing account(over six years now) same charges etc, she has been using about two months, no bad feedback and can sell as much as she likes. Ebay seems to only want buisnesses now, and doesn't want to encourage small sellers, which I always thought it was set up for in the beginning

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Brought and sold lots of stuff on there without problems. Only once someone couldn't unlock my phone but he refunded me straight away.

There are lots of fakes on there from clothing to micro sd cards.

For instance i brought a German army Parka a few years ago from Redhill and the shop owner said that is the very last one and that the German army are/have changed there design. I even spoke to a German guy(ex squaddie) on German ebay about these parka's as he said he was an expert in German gear and he to confirmed what the shop owner said.

You go on ebay now and you see many dealers selling Original German parka's by the bucket load and yet people believe it :ffsparr:

Funny how they never show you a close up of the label inside the jacket. Always blurred out.:)

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
My missus started selling clothes on thete about a year back, she had a fairly new account. She did really well, 100% feedback, but then ebay started saying her postage costs were too high although she was only charging the same as othet sellers, so she dropped her charges, and has even lost money on some. Ebay then started to restrict the number of items she could sell a month,and you have no way of disputing it.

You aren't alone, don't worry.

The account I use is shared with my old folks, and despite having sold 1000+ items (with 99.9% feedback) there have been restrictions put on the account because people have complained about postage costs. As you say, we never used to make a penny on postage, sometimes lost out, but still got punished.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
Sold a DVD box set but did not realise 1 was missing you would have thought it was the end of the world from the buyers point of view, have them a refund and let them keep the item but they still gave me negative feed back even though they had in theory not brought anything?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It was much better 10+ years ago when there was no "Buy Now" option and everything had to be bid on. You could get some real bargains back then.
I was using ebay when they wasn't charging you anything. Think the government changed that though and not ebay

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As a private user I've sold over 2000, bought a lot too, no real problems. As a seller you need to be bang on, as a buyer, ebay always sides with you. It's an amazing website, one of the worlds biggest retail sites, and there are still bargains to be had if you look carefully. It's my go-to for anything I want first, then I look to see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Great way of buying and selling in my experience over last 12-13 years. Have had very few bad experiences, picked up some great buys and sold loads of things.
Treat people well and you'll generally experience the same. The feedback system works pretty well, so ignore it at your peril. Do your research before buying and selling and you won't go far wrong. And it's good fun too :thumbsup:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Had some really, really good bargains over the years....best to watch the finishing time of what you're after. if it's between 6pm-10pm, the world and his brother will be bidding. I tend to get what I'm after on the morning end times. this does depend on what you're after of course.
I used to have an ebay shop. That was a good laugh until the rules (and price) changed

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bought and sold loads. Buying, check description and photos carefully. Pay promptly. Selling, I never do a deal. Always go to auction and stick to my T&C. Don't promise delivery timescales you can't meet, upload great photos and pack well. Take a bit of time over your description, respond quickly and accurately to questions. Take pride in your feedback rating - cherish your 100%. Look after it and it will look after you.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You aren't alone, don't worry.

The account I use is shared with my old folks, and despite having sold 1000+ items (with 99.9% feedback) there have been restrictions put on the account because people have complained about postage costs. As you say, we never used to make a penny on postage, sometimes lost out, but still got punished.

Thanks for that, it's made my missus a lot happier its not her fault

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Bought and sold loads, including cars. You have to be aware that amongst all the utter tat there are still bargains to be had but beware of stupid/unreasonable sellers/buyers. For example I sold a load of records last year, mostly old punk stuff. A bloke from France paid about £15 for Leave Home by the Ramones. I said, as I always do, exactly what condition it was in, record was perfect, sleeve had a minor fold on one corner and "knifing" to the top; I put pictures on to show that. Despite this, once he received it he complained about the condition and the postage (I was buying proper record mailers and wasn't profiting) and opened a dispute. In the end I offered him a £5 refund just to make it go away.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bought and sold loads, including cars. You have to be aware that amongst all the utter tat there are still bargains to be had but beware of stupid/unreasonable sellers/buyers. For example I sold a load of records last year, mostly old punk stuff. A bloke from France paid about £15 for Leave Home by the Ramones. I said, as I always do, exactly what condition it was in, record was perfect, sleeve had a minor fold on one corner and "knifing" to the top; I put pictures on to show that. Despite this, once he received it he complained about the condition and the postage (I was buying proper record mailers and wasn't profiting) and opened a dispute. In the end I offered him a £5 refund just to make it go away.

My wife sold an item of clothing that had been repaired, stated it all in the description, and showed it in photos, a women payed £3.13 for it, whe n she got it, she complained and said she wanted her money back as the repair was bigger than she thought. My wife offered her a full refund, if she sent it back, she then said she was disabled and couldn't get to the post office to send it back until her daughter returned from her holiday,two months later, so my missus told her it was alright, we would wait. Funny, but we heard nothing else from her, so, beware of chancers

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I collect Nintendo 64 games and accessories so eBay is vital for me finding extras that i've not got yet.

I've only ever had one bad experience, where I bought some shoes for Mrs Grombleton but the seller did not send the shoes but still pocketed the money. Unfortunately I was naive and waited longer than the 90 days eBay give for their help, so I had to get the Police involved, but it was sorted out very swiftly after that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sold a DVD box set but did not realise 1 was missing you would have thought it was the end of the world from the buyers point of view, have them a refund and let them keep the item but they still gave me negative feed back even though they had in theory not brought anything?

Was the gap in the box not a bit of a clue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here